Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2011 12:16:51 AM EDT

Tell the rest of us what it takes to live in AK.

How does one survive in the wild ... in Alaska.

What are the most common/biggist mistakes that people make that get them into trouble?

What is the biggest misconcepton(s) that people have about AK?

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I love Kenai! And the river!

Got me some sockeye and a 52lb king when I was there last.

That place calls hard for you to come back.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Alaska is a big place.  It can be as tough or as easy as you want.  There is a big difference between Anchorage and Bush Villages and truely being in the wild.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag. I'll edit with my take on the question when I wake up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Aaaaallllaassskkkaaaaaaaaaaa
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
i-ll tag this bitch
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a place where a co-worker of mine got married, had the reception, went home with her husband to change before leaving on their honeymoon, shot her first moose off the back porch, spent the next several hours with her new husband skinning, gutting, and butchering the moose, then made final arrangements for a friend to come do the final cuts after it had hung and cured for a while, before finally leaving on her honeymoon.

It's a place where they have to train TSA agents to inspect fish or meat to see if they're packed with explosives.

It's a place where there are forest fires bigger than other states.  Not bigger than other states' fires, bigger than the states themselves.

It's a place with the highest energy costs in the nation despite being rich in natural resources, because fucktards from other states that ruined their states during development want to keep us as a national park they can visit once or twice in their worthless, miserable lives.  Either that or they live in Anchorage and try to turn the state into a shithole exactly like the one they escaped from.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:29:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's a place where a co-worker of mine got married, had the reception, went home with her husband to change before leaving on their honeymoon, shot her first moose off the back porch, spent the next several hours with her new husband skinning, gutting, and butchering the moose, then made final arrangements for a friend to come do the final cuts after it had hung and cured for a while, before finally leaving on her honeymoon.

It's a place where they have to train TSA agents to inspect fish or meat to see if they're packed with explosives.

It's a place where there are forest fires bigger than other states.  Not bigger than other states' fires, bigger than the states themselves.

It's a place with the highest energy costs in the nation despite being rich in natural resources, because fucktards from other states that ruined their states during development want to keep us as a national park they can visit once or twice in their worthless, miserable lives.  Either that or they live in Anchorage and try to turn the state into a shithole exactly like the one they escaped from.

That just about sums it up.  its big and cold sometimes but its one of the most beautiful states in my opinion, but then again im a little bias..

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Alaska is a big place.  It can be as tough or as easy as you want.  There is a big difference between Anchorage and Bush Villages and truely being in the wild.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A love of the outdoors and freedom.

Stay warm, stay dry, keep your stomach full, avoid hazards. If you have the option, bring a large caliber rifle/shotgun. Learn to read the weather patterns in the sky, soil, brush and trees, and wildlife. Pack smart, pack light, with true necessities.

What are the most common/biggist mistakes that people make that get them into trouble?
Not knowing how quickly they can become lost, stranded, injured, or become food. If you're a tourist, don't drive an RV pulling ten atvs and then park it on local ground to "camp" for more than a day or two, while ruining local trails with your convoy of atvs.

Igloos, everyone eats whale, there are no big stores or other national chains, or electricity. Bears are cuddly creatures that just wanna be pet. We have little to no crime.

I'm tired, but you probably wanted more than that? Like what to use for tp when you run out? Devils club leaves folded in on themselves. Where to go to stay dry when it rains? Under a spruce tree. What to avoid? Valley's, especially if filled with true devils clubs... May also contain bears, and very low visibility.

Something like that more what you were looking for?

Haha, if you're asking about city life, then there are a number of places to avoid, such as Mountain View for starters.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:56:01 AM EDT
[#11]
And how did you know that we are all insomniacs?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you cope when the days get really really short?
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
The long days and the long nights are pretty weird when you first see it, but you get used to it pretty quick.

I've never been a resident, just been in a bunch of places there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You look forward to summer, when the days are really long!
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Make WOOPIE with the Wife.

Never bothered me or the family.

We just do things like normal.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How do you mean?  Like on a camping trip?

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Have to be a little nuts.

Go Native or just know how to listen to what people tell you.

Not telling people where they are going. Being drunk/high on something when out and about.

Way to many to list.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]

the opposite of this guy

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Don't go walk in the mudflats.

Highmarking in snowmachines.  Snowmachiners tend to do a lot of reckless things and get killed by avalanches, but they seem to have gotten better and more aware of the danger.

Don't be an alcoholic who sleeps rough in the city.  Lots of homeless have been dying from exposure in the last year or two.  Some others have been beaten to death.

That's the easily avoided stuff I can think of.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:25:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The long days and the long nights are pretty weird when you first see it, but you get used to it pretty quick.

I've never been a resident, just been in a bunch of places there.

Lived here pretty much my whole life.  I dont even notice it most days.  Sleep in a little longer in winter, little less in summer.  Folks who arent used to it will go up to several days straight before falling asleep in the summer.  Its kind of hilarious to find the tourists that are that fried from constant sunlight.

(Off Topic) later this week I'll be putting up a thread of photos I've taken in Alaska.  Just have to get hosting issues resolved.

Back on topic––-

So far what the guys have chipped in is good info.  The mud flats are deadly, dont be a drunk, bears like to eat people, etc.

Honestly, if you are going to go deep into the bush, know your shit or don't expect to get out alive.  Simple as that really.  Take the fairbanks area for example.  There are thousands of ridges once you get into the brooks/white mountains area.  One screw up on your directions and you are lost till SAR finds you or you get out.

Take your expected supply set and triple it to be safe.  (Again, on the photos, I'll post up pics of my wood pile.  It is 1/3 or so of what my actual winter stock is.)  The weather changes in minutes, so if you dont plan for it, it will kill you.

Beautiful place though.  Can't imagine being anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Living in or near the city is expensive.

Living in the bush, expect to chop a lot of wood to keep yourself warm during the long winter months and not having the comforts of city life, like running water, electricity, people to talk too. I don't know how some of them do it, but they live out there because they like the solitude.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:06:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Living in the bush, expect to chop a lot of wood to keep yourself warm during the long winter months and not having the comforts of city life, like running water, electricity, people to talk too. I don't know how some of them do it, but they live out there because they like the solitude.

Living in the bush is WAY more expensive than living in Anchorage.  Housing may be cheaper (not much demand and few jobs), but everything else has to shipped in and costs an arm and a leg.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Living in the bush is WAY more expensive than living in Anchorage.  Housing may be cheaper (not much demand and few jobs), but everything else has to shipped in and costs an arm and a leg.  

I don't think he means to ship stuff in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Camping, extended hunting trips, etc

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stay dry & warm. Bring a gun that can deal with a bear.  Bring enough food and water, or a way to boil water.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Follow along with Aviator's threads.

He's all homebuilding now...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1233275_Bought_land_in_Alaska__building_a_cabin____Update_with_bulldozer_photos__.html

But if you search the archives, he also has a good thread about tent living.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

you from up here???

if you are talkign living off hte land you are in for a brutal let down if you make a mistake, dont get your fish dried on time, hunger is a nice teacher, same with big game miss your shot and whoops hunger again, cost of stuff getting up here is about double(can of chili(beans or not) on sale is 2 bucks, box of 9mm cheapest I have found is 10 bucks for wolf, .30-06 starts at about 23, I havent bought in a while since I started reloading but powder and primers are about 26-30 bucks a l lb , 1k primers is 35.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

what a great question..
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1233275_Bought_land_in_Alaska__building_a_cabin____Update_with_bulldozer_photos__.html

That is a great thread!  Gotta love the view he's got!
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is a great thread!  Gotta love the view he's got!

Aviator is going to have all sorts of fun building that cabin.

Over the winter, I'm going to try to take photos so I can post up an day by day of Alaska in the winter.  (get up and stoke the fireplace, plug in the car, etc)
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

People from the lower 48 think you can move up to Alaska and live off the land like some kind of fucking fairy tale.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I call BULLSHIT!

Everyone knows the entire state is a frozen tundra with the nearest hospital in Canada or Washington State.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

People from the lower 48 think you can move up to Alaska and live off the land like some kind of fucking fairy tale.  

Well, look at that idiot that slept in the bus in Denali park.  Or all the idiots who come up and get eaten by bears.

At least Alaska fixes stupid real fast.  If you want to try to live off the land there is an extremely steep (vertical) learning curve.

If not, the bears and wolves will happily make a dinner out of a frozen/starved/drunk/on fire/naked/bbqsauced/brokebacked/californian/idiot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

YEP.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, look at that idiot that slept in the bus in Denali park.  Or all the idiots who come up and get eaten by bears.

At least Alaska fixes stupid real fast.  If you want to try to live off the land there is an extremely steep (vertical) learning curve.

If not, the bears and wolves will happily make a dinner out of a frozen/starved/drunk/on fire/naked/bbqsauced/brokebacked/californian/idiot.

Exactly!

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I mainly work during the summer. So during the long days I will sometimes work 16 hours a day on 5 or less hours of sleep. I have winters off, usually there is a period of about a month where I will sleep 10 hours a day or more. I call it my hibernation.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Its really hard to find a decent place to shoot and ammo prices are sky high.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Where the fuck are you, Spenard?

Or, what part of Anchorage?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where the fuck are you, Spenard?

Or, what part of Anchorage?

And where the heck do you find your ammo?  I'm getting .22 at $15-20 a brick and .223 at .32 cents a pop for brass case.  Then again, I work in the industry and know where to shop  Ask MGNiko...I hear he is good at bribing mods

(For the rest of Arfcom, there was a bit of hometown drama that this is joking about.  No mods were bribed or children hurt in the process...)
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call BULLSHIT!

Everyone knows the entire state is a frozen tundra with the nearest hospital in Canada or Washington State.

Nearest hospital I would go to. When I'm up there my family knows if I get in a bad way to call Global Rescue and get me to Harborview.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:30:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Biggest mistakes made by cheechako's ?
People think there are moose behind every tree and that game is every where.
People dont know how bad the bugs are in summer.
People dont realize how few roads there are.
People think you can just fight your way through the brush and devil club.
People dont realize how much of the land is "floating on water" and they think they can walk any where.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top