Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/23/2012 9:25:50 AM EST
Please bear with me...

So I'm de-boning some chicken for a soup, using a stupid Chicago Cutlery knife that should just be thrown away. It's hard to put an edge on it, and only lasts for half a job. Then I have a flashback to yesterday, watching in pain, as my girlfriends brother destroys the turkey with a similar knife.

I think to myself, "Jesus, this knife is about as useful as an inaccurate rifle".

So there is the question. Do AK lovers all carry dull knives? Because, you know, a dull knife always works the same no matter if it's wet, or drug thought the mud, or full of sand. It always works the same. Reliable.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:26:54 AM EST
pics of said gf?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:30:00 AM EST
Your analogy belong in the trashcan next to the AKs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:34:04 AM EST
There you are working with a dull knife and we are to take you seriously on matters relating to AKs?

The opreative word here is dull....On a couple of different levels.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:36:56 AM EST

1. Pics of GF

2. No.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:51:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By sloshua:
Your analogy belong in the trashcan next to the AKs.

Maybe he made trashcan turkey?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:55:10 AM EST
Put the chicken in about 10-12 cups of water and simmer for three hours. Presto, now you have a de-boned chicken and chicken broth for your soup.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:17:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 10:18:10 AM EST by DaddGoneMadd]
1. In retrospect, I could have simmered the chicken, but I also wanted to remove the fat and tendons. Maybe next time.

2. Working with a dull knife. I collect old carbon steel Case kitchen knives and haven't found a boning knife yet.

3. Girlfriend pics. I forgot that many people have not actually seen one in person. The key to finding one, and keeping one, is to respect her wishes.

4. I complement the Benchmade owner on his choice. I also carry a Benchmade daily, but mine is well worn, has been sharpened many times, and will still shave hairs. Yours looks unused.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:23:44 AM EST
Originally Posted By DaddGoneMadd:
Please bear with me...

So I'm de-boning some chicken for a soup, using a stupid Chicago Cutlery knife that should just be thrown away. It's hard to put an edge on it, and only lasts for half a job. Then I have a flashback to yesterday, watching in pain, as my girlfriends brother destroys the turkey with a similar knife.

I think to myself, "Jesus, this knife is about as useful as an inaccurate rifle".

So there is the question. Do AK lovers all carry dull knives? Because, you know, a dull knife always works the same no matter if it's wet, or drug thought the mud, or full of sand. It always works the same. Reliable.
A few questions.......

How many AKs have you shot? If you couldn't hit dick with the first, why buy the second? Of all the AKs you've fired what is the one absolute common denominator? If your knife is dull, why haven't you sharpened it?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:31:35 AM EST
I used USA-made CC knives for years without any problems before I upgraded to Wusthof. A quick few strokes over the steel, and the edge was good to go again. It seems to be a softer carbon steel that sharpens easily.

Now and again, I would take the time to "freshen" up the edge with a stone or some other sharpening tool.

Unfortunately, CC is made in China now. I won't even touch 'em.

I swear, the people claiming the AK isn't accurate *enough* or reliable probably never touched a Kalashnikov-type rifle, let alone fired one.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:33:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:
I used USA-made CC knives for years without any problems before I upgraded to Wusthof. A quick few strokes over the steel, and the edge was good to go again. It seems to be a softer carbon steel that sharpens easily.

Now and again, I would take the time to "freshen" up the edge with a stone or some other sharpening tool.

Unfortunately, CC is made in China now. I won't even touch 'em.

I swear, the people claiming the AK isn't accurate *enough* or reliable probably never touched a Kalashnikov-type rifle, let alone fired one.

I note he hasn't answered those questions
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:43:45 AM EST
Knives have better ergonomics
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:46:37 AM EST
The first question he answered himself. An old CARBON steel CC knife could be ok.

The second, what is accurate "enough". I tried to buy an AK when ammo was cheap, but just couldn't like it. The ones that I've shot, I shoot better than their owners, but I just don't feel the love.

I see a lot of disdain for the deer hunters that print a miserable target on sighting in day and say "that's good enough".
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:47:43 AM EST

What a brilliant observation.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:55:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 10:55:32 AM EST by nukldragr]
The first question he answered himself. An old CARBON steel CC knife could be ok.

The second, what is accurate "enough". I tried to buy an AK when ammo was cheap, but just couldn't like it. The ones that I've shot, I shoot better than their owners, but I just don't feel the love.

I see a lot of disdain for the deer hunters that print a miserable target on sighting in day and say "that's good enough".

How do you try to buy a rifle?
Yoda Voice/ You do not Trrrrry to buy a rifle. You buy it or you do not buy it, there is no trrry....
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:57:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 10:57:53 AM EST by Citadel-SC]
Please bear with me...

No
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:01:13 AM EST
I had a similar epiphany the other day when I ran over a squirrel. I thought to myself "My God! A bag of toe nail clippings would make great confetti!"

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:03:54 AM EST
It may be coincidence, but it's worth noting that such a seemingly obvious failure in logic would come from the same state as our logic-immune president.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:10:43 AM EST
Since I'm here, I may as well admit that I'm a trigger snob. Crunch, crunch, crunch, sproing!, just doesn't get it for me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:17:06 AM EST
I'll just leave this here

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:27:01 AM EST
Looks "sharp"
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:29:29 AM EST
The ones that I've shot, I shoot better than their owners,

Perhaps you should get acquainted with someone who knows what they're doing.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:51:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 11:51:49 AM EST by DaddGoneMadd]
A friend of mine, who owns a few of them(he's no quitter), calls it an "area gun".

When you pull the trigger, the bullet's going somewhere in that area.

And, yes, the ones I've shot have been owned by people who weren't marksmen.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:54:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:57:40 AM EST
A friend of mine, who owns a few of them(he's no quitter), calls it an "area gun".

When you pull the trigger, the bullet's going somewhere in that area.

And, yes, the ones I've shot have been owned by people who weren't marksmen.

So your friend, who is no marksman, can't hit anything with an AK.
You can't hit anything with an AK.

See if you can guess what else you have in common with your friend.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:12:59 PM EST
Actually, I have never shot his, or shot with him.

So far no one has addressed my initial observation. There has been a lot of defense of the AK. It is what it is.

No one has said, " Yes, I appreciate fine cutlery and workmanship, yet I also am attracted to the utilitarian aspect of the AK".

Stereotypes are funny, because they're true.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:16:36 PM EST

So far no one has addressed my initial observation. There has been a lot of defense of the AK. It is what it is.

No one has said, " Yes, I appreciate fine cutlery and workmanship, yet I also am attracted to the utilitarian aspect of the AK".

So how many different types of AK have you fired and at what ranges? 10m, 25m, 100m, 300m?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:19:13 PM EST
The Yugo Underfolder I made from a kit several years ago on a blank receiver and sewage barrel is more accurate with Wolff steel cased ammo than my AR is with Federal XM193 and 1:9 twist. I think it all depends on who makes the AK. An AR is pretty darn easy to assemble and dosn't require much, if any fitting. The AK is all about fitting and most are built with used shot out barrels or garbage reproductions. The ARs are new so think about it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:38:02 PM EST
Had the same thing happen this Thursday. Turkey meat was being pulled/tore from the bird with the worlds dullest knife. Went to my E&E bag and pulled my Bark River Neck knife.
I would have preferred a longer knife but the problem was solved- earned extra man points.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:51:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Nakanokalronin:
The Yugo Underfolder I made from a kit several years ago on a blank receiver and sewage barrel is more accurate with Wolff steel cased ammo than my AR is with Federal XM193 and 1:9 twist. I think it all depends on who makes the AK. An AR is pretty darn easy to assemble and dosn't require much, if any fitting. The AK is all about fitting and most are built with used shot out barrels or garbage reproductions. The ARs are new so think about it.

I would definitely be interested in shooting an accurate one. For me, the sights, trigger, and ergonomics just don't turn me on.

If they can be as accurate as an AR, I haven't seen any in high power matches.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:54:00 PM EST
All I know is that my ak will fuck up that chicken
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:01:05 PM EST
Perfect analogy. If you cannot sharpen or use a knife properly. Than you could be one of the few that cannot maintain a AK either.

The latter has moving parts after all.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:04:12 PM EST

I like pocket knives and AKs. The pocket knife I carry stays sharp because I sharpen it routinely.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:17:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mauser1:
Perfect analogy. If you cannot sharpen or use a knife properly. Than you could be one of the few that cannot maintain a AK either.

The latter has moving parts after all.

You missed the part that I was using what I admit to be a substandard knife. I will happily mail you that knife so you can form your own opinion.

The irony in your statement, is that it is widely touted that the beauty of an AK is that it needs little or no maintenance. Which leads me to believe that if I send you this POS knife, you will proclaim that it is the best, most reliable, maintenance free knife ever made, just not ever really sharp. It will stay "sharp enough".
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:17:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 1:19:12 PM EST by RyJones]
Originally Posted By mustangduckk:

wow, that's my EDC. Same scales and everything.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:31:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By Nakanokalronin:

I would definitely be interested in shooting an accurate one. For me, the sights, trigger, and ergonomics just don't turn me on.

If they can be as accurate as an AR, I haven't seen any in high power matches.

That's just it. It's easy to get a sweet light trigger and bolt on or take off anything you want on an AR. They're also light as long as you don't attach every accessory on the planet which is why you more than likely won't see an AK in a match. In my experience, as long as you or a reputable company has made the AK correctly, it's more accurate than most think. We associate it with spray and pray but look at what is used as a reference and where these AKs have been and who slaps them together to sell. If anyone wants to throw their AKs away, I'll gladly take them, even cut up as parts kits.

Last time I shot my Yugo was at an open field with bowling pins, targets and steel plates and I did as good as everyone there with an AR. I've also won many personal competitions with clay shooting to see how many we get in a row while they use a pump and I use a cheap single shot NEF Pardner....so it may just be the person behind the gun too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:36:07 PM EST
Sorry guys. I just saw that you could make an AK with a shovel. I take it all back.

And I will also do all of my future cooking with resharpened garden trowels.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:39:50 PM EST
Sorry guys. I just saw that you could make an AK with a shovel. I take it all back.

And I will also do all of my future cooking with resharpened garden trowels.

A small machete can be a useful and fun kitchen utensil.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:14:05 PM EST
Is it safe to say that you all have a Hi-Point as your go to pistol?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:17:02 PM EST

For you? Sure it's safe. Being wrong hasn't seemed to hurt you much in this thread yet, might as well stick with what works.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:32:33 PM EST
How can someone who appreciates the AK not love the simplicity, reliability, and accuracy of the Hi-Point? With the lifetime warranty, seems like a no brainer.

I mean, there there are pistols with better triggers, ergonomics, and sights, but why would you want something else?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:24:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 4:24:42 PM EST by Nakanokalronin]
How can someone who appreciates the AK not love the simplicity, reliability, and accuracy of the Hi-Point? With the lifetime warranty, seems like a no brainer.

I mean, there there are pistols with better triggers, ergonomics, and sights, but why would you want something else?

The ergos are fine on the AK47/74s for me, the Hi-Point not so much.

Edited to add "for me"
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:26:56 PM EST

Don't know anything about the high point other then I don't like the way it looks. If that's all that was available though, well I'd make it work just fine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:28:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

For you? Sure it's safe. Being wrong hasn't seemed to hurt you much in this thread yet, might as well stick with what works.

This.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:32:13 PM EST
In terms of carry knives (folders mostly) - the majority of them seem to be dull. In my experience - that probability QUADRUPLES if the knife is serrated.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:37:57 PM EST
I buy a block of the department store cheapo kitchen knives every few years and don't bother with sharpening or anything until they hit the throw away point. Why? Because the women in the house, in all other ways intelligent and wonderful creatures, insist on using them as screwdrivers, chop ingredients on plates and in pans, toss them in the dishwasher, attack them at any random angle with the included knife steel, etc...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:07:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By yellowrexsi:
I'll just leave this here
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6767318737_d71dc363f5.jpg

Right mouse click, save
Top Top