Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 5:08:57 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:13:04 PM EDT

More objective.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:14:58 PM EDT
Well, this is AR15.com. It will be a bit biased.

Although I'm more the 'shoot what you want' crowd. I used to love ARs; but the AK keeps growing on me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:15:18 PM EDT
Needs more trash cans..
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:17:00 PM EDT
I remember what a NZ friend said about the AK47 "It's a scrub gun." It's simple and dependable but doesn't mean it's better than the M16. I have grown to like the M16 for a lot of reasons.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:40:07 PM EDT
Some guy told me (claimed to be SF at one time) the AK is a users gun. The ar is a shooters gun. Said that if the SHTF he would not care which he had.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:07:29 PM EDT
comparing the AK to the AR is apples to oranges. the guns were designed with to totally different mindsets and requirements.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:10:04 PM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

comparing the AK to the AR is apples to oranges. the guns were designed with to totally different mindsets and requirements.
View Quote

That's how I view it.

And the documentary makes that case pretty strongly.

The AK is a supped up Submachine gun, ala ppsh41. And the AR is a supped down RIFLE.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:32:53 PM EDT
Not even sure the ak47 was zeroed in that program..mine shoots fine at 200 meters
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:43:46 PM EDT
Why not own both?  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:46:15 PM EDT
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/HhGih7eWI3E

More objective.
View Quote

You can't run a ham sammich in an AR.

AK wins!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:13:17 PM EDT
Quote of the day
If im going to war w 100 kids who are illiterate, i want the AK
If i have a week to train them, i want the M16

Good post OP
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:26:03 AM EDT
The first comparison is about as valid as the second

One is crude and effective. The other a modern implement.

The AK is always painted as a wildly inaccurate firearm and that is seriously exaggerated. The reliability of the AK is always over hyped.

Why is very few of these comparisons include 5.45x39?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:37:39 AM EDT
Firing an AK with the buttstock against your forehead will probably kill you. Good to know.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:24:10 AM EDT

Interesting.  I call bullshit on the AK accuracy testing.  Either that guy is a terrible shot or the thing wasn't sighted in.  AK can hit paper at least.

I also call bullshit on AK vs. AR penetration.  The 5.56 ball round will easily penetrate a 4x4.  I'm guessing the dufus completely missed the 4x4 and then claimed, "Oh look, it won't penetrate!"  Probably the same 'tard who couldn't hit paper with the AK.  Front sight, front sight, front sight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:12:32 AM EDT

Quoted:
Interesting.  I call bullshit on the AK accuracy testing.  Either that guy is a terrible shot or the thing wasn't sighted in.  AK can hit paper at least.

I also call bullshit on AK vs. AR penetration.  The 5.56 ball round will easily penetrate a 4x4.  I'm guessing the dufus completely missed the 4x4 and then claimed, "Oh look, it won't penetrate!"  Probably the same 'tard who couldn't hit paper with the AK.  Front sight, front sight, front sight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd say the same thing.  I don't have AK's anymore but when I did even hitting a silhouette at 300 wasn't a problem, although it was all over the target.  Even at 400 meters I had almost a 50% hit, but 200 was no problem.  And this was shooting prone supported on iron sights.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:27:29 AM EDT
5.56 will blow through a lot more than people think, especially the M855. Things you thought were cover really aren't.

If your army looks like this, then the AK is a perfect match:

If your army looks like this, then the AR15 makes more sense:

Top Top