Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 7:38:26 AM EDT
Give me a Booyah! if you're boilin' crawfish and boudin this weekend!

CO
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
No, I have to work to help cover the cost of the "recovery effort".  My tax burden doesn't allow me to take off for such extravagances.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Mardi Gras has no real meaning if you don't also observe Lent.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

One of the stupidist "holidays." Just another excuse to get drunk and act like a retard/ho/whatever.

It's really sophmoric to do a bunch of bad shit right before you have to be good anyway. Kinda like how teenagers in Europe do a bunch of shit that they can get away with because when they turn 18 their records are wiped clean.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sure it does, if you're a drunk asshole who doesn't mind pissing himself for some plastic beads it also means a lot.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Crawfish don't need a stupid parade.  They're good any time (they're in season).
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Whatever, I'm just there for the bewbies.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I'll stay home and do stuff around the house instead.  Maybe take a trip to the range.  Not much chance of me heading down to NO or celebrating something having nothing to do with me though.
If I drink any beer, it will have everything to do with it being Friday or Saturday and nothing to do with Mardi Gras.

Miserable, aren't I?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you guys get your guns back?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Bunch of sourpusses here. Live a little and enjoy life. Laissez les bon temps rouler.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:54:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

One of the stupidist "holidays." Just another excuse to get drunk and act like a retard/ho/whatever.

It's really sophmoric to do a bunch of bad shit right before you have to be good anyway. Kinda like how teenagers in Europe do a bunch of shit that they can get away with because when they turn 18 their records are wiped clean.

+1 those darn 18yos showing off their boobs for beads
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate Mardi Gras, it was great when I was a kid and acting like an ass for plastic beads was OK.

Now, I hate having to deal with all the fucking traffic and drunk people and general crap that goes with it.

Just last week a float yanked down a power line and cut off power while I was working, I got to go home early, but dammit I lost out on money too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bunch of sourpusses here. Live a little and enjoy life. Laissez les bon temps rouler.

Maybe, but I've lost my taste for all things "New Orleans".  I put it on par with being asked how I'm gonna celebrate Ramadan this year.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#13]
It is a payed holiday for me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a whole bunch of beads.

Show your boobies!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone collect the doubloons?

Do they still even throw them?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hate Mardi Gras, it was great when I was a kid and acting like an ass for plastic beads was OK.

Now, I hate having to deal with all the fucking traffic and drunk people and general crap that goes with it.

Just last week a float yanked down a power line and cut off power while I was working, I got to go home early, but dammit I lost out on money too.

How can the city justify (or any organization at all) spending tons of money on parades and parties when there are still people homeless?

I would have thought they might have cancelled it this year.  I understand alot of people are grateful they are alive, but perhaps money being spent on floats and police presence could be better used elsewhere.

YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It is a payed holiday for me.

Is that coonass spelling for "paid"?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#19]
This will be the 2nd Mardi Gras I have missed in 13 years.  The other one was when my wife was 7 months pregnant.   I was still trying to talk her into going down there on Tuesday, but she is worried something will happen.  

I have missed 2 days of work in 5 years so yeah, I like to get away and be a drunk asshole, see tits and eat oyster Poorboys, crawfish and muffalatas for 3 days a year.  

Maybe I'll drive down to MS and get some Crawfish Sunday.  That would be fun.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can the city justify (or any organization at all) spending tons of money on parades and parties when there are still people homeless?

I would have thought they might have cancelled it this year.  I understand alot of people are grateful they are alive, but perhaps money being spent on floats and police presence could be better used elsewhere.

YMMV of course.

Be assured, New Orleans makes a BUNCH of money on Mardi Gras, as do businesses all over the area.  In fact, that is the reason I agree they SHOULD go ahead and have it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV of course.

Be assured, New Orleans makes a BUNCH of money on Mardi Gras, as do businesses all over the area.  In fact, that is the reason I agree they SHOULD go ahead and have it.

mmmkay...if you say so.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Be assured, New Orleans makes a BUNCH of money on Mardi Gras, as do businesses all over the area. In fact, that is the reason I agree they SHOULD go ahead and have it.

+1  I have left a small fortune at the hotels and restaurants there.  Toach infested rooms in the Quarter with no windows  go for $200+ on the weekend before.  

I really don't think they'll have that big of a problem this year.  Last year's crowd was really small becuase it was the same weekend as the Super Bowl.  There will probably be more marchers than tourists and students this year.  

ETA I Haven't been able to get boudin since the hurricans.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Be assured, New Orleans makes a BUNCH of money on Mardi Gras, as do businesses all over the area. In fact, that is the reason I agree they SHOULD go ahead and have it.

+1  I have left a small fortune at the hotels and restaurants there.  Toach infested rooms in the Quarter with no windows  go for $200+ on the weekend before.  

I really don't think they'll have that big of a problem this year.  Last year's crowd was really small becuase it was the same weekend as the Super Bowl.  There will probably be more marchers than tourists and students this year.  

what's a toach?  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's a toach?  

Toasted roach.  Those darned Cajuns will eat anything.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's a toach?  

so long as it's deep fried first, right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

You say that like it's a bad thing.

+1.  I thought that's what the weekends were for.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Shows the real priorities of the people in that area...hope they don't complain when the government doesn't help them quick enough...I sure won't help them...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Shows the real priorities of the people in that area...hope they don't complain when the government doesn't help them quick enough...I sure won't help them...

yeah, all the rich folks in the Krewes are begging for your Idaho handouts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll be there!  My bday is Sunday, too!  This oughtta be interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yup.  New Orleans is in the tourism and convention business.  They're getting back to work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I just saw on the news that it actually started in Montgomery,and not in LA!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's a toach?  

so long as it's deep fried first, right?

Not necessarily, you can just throw them in with the crawfish.  Some of the roachs down there have more meat on 'em that the mudbugs, anyhow.

CO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top