Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2001 10:36:31 PM EDT
It's been a week now on this God forsaken protein diet.  Been on it for exactly 7 days, and I haven't lost a friggin' pound.  I'm weight training too, but I can tell that my body fat is the same as it was a week ago.  I'm still doing 130gr protein a day, and lowered my carbo intake from 350gr to 115gr daily.  Not exactly the Atkin's diet, but it's pretty darn good.

So what gives?  No pastas, 1 slice of bread daily, plenty of milk, cheese, chicken, sometimes eggs, and all the protein and creatine powder you can imagine, but I'm not losing the body fat.  Given, my testosterone/metabolism level isn't quite up to "normal", but I should have at least dropped [i]A SINGLE POUND[/i] by now.  But I'm still squeezing into my tighter shorts just like I've always been.  I've got another 14 days to drop 2% body fat, and I just don't see it happening.  WHAT am I doing WRONG???
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try jogging. [;)]

Actually my neighbor has lost a lot of weight on this diet.  Give it some time and try to regulate total calories as well.  Good luck. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I do jog -- upped it from 3 days of 15 minutes to 4 days of 20-23 minutes...along with my 3 hours a week of circuit training.  Let me lay down my daily diet, nearly exactly:

5c Skim Milk
2 scoop Protein Powder
1 egg
2.5 oz. Cheese
4-5 oz. Roasted Chicken
1 slice Wheat Bread
2 quarts Water

Totals about 130gr Protein, 115gr Carbohydrates, 45gr Fat.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Jewbroni,

I have lost weight with the protein diet but there are some caveats;

1)If you're doing the atkins,  DO IT.  No more bread, sugars, fruit, NOTHING.  After two weeks you will start to see and feel it.  Guaranteed.  I went on Atkins and got the same results as you.  No result.  After cutting out diet CAFFEINATED drinks I started to drop.  Turns out caffeine keeps you out of ketosis (body burning fat to run).  

2)You will lose weight on Atkins.  Keeping it off is harder.  I lost about 30 pounds but went off for some reason or another and picked 20 back up slowly. I'm still ten down but now I feel guilty whenever I eat anything sugar/carbo.

3)You will feel better on a protein diet.  I did. I'm currently off and feel like shit. Gotta get back on it.

4)It's hard to think you're giving up cake/bread/whatever for life.  So if you can't commit, cut back like you have but excercise a lot.  The key isn't the sugars you're eating but their glycemic index,  how fast they are absorbed.  i.e. a baked potato and a snickers bar raise your blood sugar almost the same amount and almost as quickly.  For a very well written explanation of this see any of the Zone books.

5)Failing any of this stuff,  eat what you want and run your ass off every day.  IT works for my wife.  She eats like a horse but runs a lot. She stays skinny.  I HATE running but I'll hike so I'm stuck with the gut.

have fun, enjoy those steak/each/cheese omelettes.

crash.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I KNOW all the terms and conditions, with the exception of maybe time until improvement, of the Protein diet.  I've actually DROPPED my daily protein intake just to avoid some unnecessary carbos:  all the carbs I get are from the milk and the 1 measly slice of bread for my egg/cheese toast (10gr won't make a dramatic difference).  And no, water and milk are the only liquids I consume, and plenty of each.
Point plainly, I can't under any circumstances do the 20gr "recommended" carbs by Atkin's plan, because I'm on a pretty heavy weight training program and I need about 150 protein on workout days to bulk up, and milk (which is fairly moderate in carbohydrates) with powder is the best way to do that.

Do I just need to give it another 2 weeks?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Jewbroni,

You are almost exactly following the Zone.  Zone works well but it's slower than Atkins.  A lot of NFL teams follow a loose version of the zone with a large alottment of carbos due to the energy expenditures.  Overall I think Zone is healthier than ATkins but slower. If you are in for fast loss, go to atkins then back to Zone.  If I were you, I'd stick with Zone and give it time.  Just stay on your rountine and in a few weeks, (more than two) you'll see it.

I always went into two-a-days in the fall a little out of shape,  after the two weeks I'd be in lots better shape but I'd still be the same waist size.  After about a month I'd be a lot smaller though.  I think it takes some more time. Stick with it though.  It's worth it.

Hey, or you could take up elk hunting!  Since I started this fall I've dropped quite a bit.  Of course my thighs don't fit in any of my pants anymore but that's a different problem!

Crash.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
AHHH!! The Protein Diet BLOWS!!
View Quote

YUCK!!
LOL!!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I do jog -- upped it from 3 days of 15 minutes to 4 days of 20-23 minutes...along with my 3 hours a week of circuit training.  Let me lay down my daily diet, nearly exactly:

5c Skim Milk
2 scoop Protein Powder
1 egg
2.5 oz. Cheese
4-5 oz. Roasted Chicken
1 slice Wheat Bread
2 quarts Water

Totals about 130gr Protein, 115gr Carbohydrates, 45gr Fat.
View Quote

How the hell do you survive on that little amount of food??  Granted I have never been overweight (6'4" 205lbs) but I easily eat three times that amount and feel I starve myself!  
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Crash, that's what I needed to hear.  I figured I'd drop at least ONE pound in a week, but I'll give it another 3 weeks before I go in for my expected 2% fat loss test.  Between 1/2 gallon of water, 1/3 gallon of milk, metabolism pills, fish-oil pills (to counteract those damned eggs), and a gracious amount of workout, I know it'll hit me eventually.

Any place online I can look up that so called "Zone" plan?  Maybe I can modify my diet a little bit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How the hell do you survive on that little amount of food??  Granted I have never been overweight (6'4" 205lbs) but I easily eat three times that amount and feel I starve myself!  
View Quote

1 16oz Protein shake for breakfast
--------------
1 piece chicken w/ melted Cheese for lunch, with milk and water
--------------
1 egg/cheese on toast with Protein shake for dinner

Gotta love milk, man...it's filling as hell.  I used to drink a gallon in 2 days, but I've lowered that to meet my carbo goals.
[b]OH[/b], and for any protein powder junkies out there, you have to try Sci-Fit's "Ice Cream Vanilla Flavor" Whey Protein.  It tastes great, and it's flavored with Stevia instead of sugar.  Fills you up, satisfied, and is the best damn thing you can drink for weight training.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not sure I understand this statement totally,  you say you are on a pretty heavy weight training program and need the 150 protein to bulk up but can't do the 20 gr carbs recommended by atkins.  They should be independant of each other.  Take the protein and forget the carbs.  (If you want to do Atkins of course)

I still think you are on a better, more balanced path.  Granted it will take longer,  quite a bit longer,   but it will stay with you and be easier to maintain than Atkins.  "The Zone" is by Barry Sears and I'm sure you can get his books off Ebay for next to nothing. I got mine as garage sales.  Zone is by far the most balanced plan and will work  if you are religious about the amounts you eat (as you seem to be).  I have a hard time with The Zone cause it's hard to be that precise for me.  Being a "big feller" I tend to eat quite a bit and I was always overeating on Zone.  That's why I like(d) Atkins,  you can really pack it in and still shed weight like crazy.  But when he says "Stay under 20", he means it. LIke I said, I maintained weight till I cut out the caffeine and the few cheats I was making here and there (I'd guess I was still under 60gr Carbs a day).  When I actually went under 20 I dropped about 30lbs in  a couple of months.

Atkins is fast but it's tough to give up all the bread.

Stick with your Zone (or thereabouts) and just give it longer.  I'd say between 3 and 4 weeks to see noticeable, quantifiable results. It's taken you years to get here,  you won't get back in 2 weeks.

have fun, and don't worry to much about it.  As long as you're still breathing your waist size isn't that important!

Crash.

PS-The milk, I'm sure you know, is almost pure carbos and sugars.  There's some protein in there but it's mostly carbs.  I had to stop that too and that was difficult.

Point plainly, I can't under any circumstances do the 20gr "recommended" carbs by Atkin's plan, because I'm on a pretty heavy weight training program and I need about 150 protein on workout days to bulk up, and milk (which is fairly moderate in carbohydrates) with powder is the best way to do that.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
AHHH!! The Protein Diet BLOWS!!
View Quote

YUCK!!
LOL!!!!
View Quote

Sounds like a Son of the Beach episode[:D]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Stick with the 20 grams of Carbo's or less.  For me it was the only way.  

I lost, well, more than I want to admit.  It does work if you follow the directions.  Read the book.  Be wary though, the Atkins book is 60% sales pitch and 40% knowledge.  "Protein Power" is better in that it explains the reasons better.  

If you don't at least lose a few pounds of water weight in the first week, then you're taking in too many carbo's.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:11:32 AM EDT
[#13]
"The Protein Diet [B]BLOWS[/B]"

I thought Monica Lewinsky said,

"[B]BLOW[/B]: The Protein Diet!"

LMAO [shock]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Strange, I thought high-protein diets were for gaining weight, [:D] at least thats what did it for me.  Gained 40lbs (probably 75-80% muscle) in a few months doing the high protein, low carb bit - somewhere between 3600-4000 calories a day.

Seriously though, up your water intake to around a gallon a day.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps you should try spitting instead of swallowing??
I would imagine that you still get paid the same.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Wife and I used LA weightloss, I did really well on it, but she wound up with gout. You have to watch for gout with any protein diet.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#17]
If your calorie intake is less than your calorie expenditure, the body fat will come off.  If you're already low on body fat and are trying to do this on a two week schedule, you're going to have to be a lot more radical than you are.

Cut the milk and cheese.  Replace the wheat bread (unless it is TRUE multigrain wheat) with a medium potato.  Up your water until you think you're going to burst.  

Up your cardio to 45 minutes a day.  Keep running the 20 minutes and then jump on a cross trainer for the other 25.  

Your protein should be HIGHER than 150g a day.  Start eating meals every three hours... and make it small but almost all protein i.e. chicken breast or protein shake.  

And stop putting milk (sugars and carbs) into your freakin' protein shakes!!  Why do you think they are sweetening it with Stevia?  To cut out the sugar carbs!!

From what I've seen and heard (and apparently it works because one of the guys I work with placed 4th in the Mr Virginia competition.. his workout partner was 1st) this will work.  Generally bodybuilders go one of two ways... stay lean all the time (lots of cardio) or drop the fat and water starting 4-6 months before competition by slowly eliminating all carbs.  

Be aware that losing weight the above mentioned way (very carb restrictive) will make you light-headed and grumpy.  But if you absolutely, positively have to do it in two weeks... that's the way to do it.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Your first mistake is that you are DIETING. That is usually something that people do for a short term and then always gain back the weight later. You need to alter your eating style to correlate to the food pyrimid and the Cancer Institute's newest food plan.

Those high protien diets are very very bad for you. If you are trying to lose fat, stop eating fat. Your body will then metabolize what it has stored.

Stick with the pyrimid and you will be both fit and healthy for the long term. You only need 4-8 oz. of meat per day (depending on size and physical activity). You need it for the fatty acids and muscle regeneration.

Stop damaging your body.

Oh, and did you ever get to see the Enterprise series premier?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#19]
OK,I have lost 30lbs in a month on the Zone diet it says that you have to maintain AT LEAST a 3 to 1 ration of protien to fat to be in the Zone.The problem is the carbs that are hidden in your diet.Fuit has lots of Carbs,even vegetables have some carbs.You have to do it by weight.If you eat a small McDonald's french fry you need to  eat enough meat,cottage cheese,and protien drink(watch the carbs) to choke a bear.Don't eat ANY bread,potato,rice,pasta.You will get all of the carbs you should have from what you drink and from what you eat your meat with.You can have a single potato chip for every two heaping tablespoons of lowfat cottage cheese you eat.If you want a burger by a couple of them and put all of the meat on a single set of buns and that is it,no fries,pop,fruit juice,etc.Even Ketchup has carbs through the added sugar.You can't have sugar either.I don't know what you are doing but I'll tell you that eating nothing but chicken breasts,canned tuna and beef jerky dropped a ton of weight off of me very quickly.If your metabolism has slowed down get some kelp tablets and some chromium picolinate to speed it up.Also thermogenic capsule and drinks will speed you up as well.In conjunction with this I was weilding a sledgehammer for several hours per day driving density probes into compacted earth and crushed rock.I'd make full body swings and pound them in in 1 or 2 swings,My assistant who usually does it for me stared in wide eyed wonder as I set probes at about 4 times the rate he could.I would take a breather every 10-20 minutes and have a few sips of water(water is all I drank and lot's of it)from my gallon jug and then pound some more.This made my forearms huge and my back and shoulders striated with visible bundles of muscle fibers.I was also maintaining a balance of at least 1 gram of protien per pound of goal body weight to make sure my muscles got fed.Even processing protien burns fat and calories.The "Zone" refers to the body status that is achieved when you no longer have carbs stored in your adipose tissue and you start to feed off of you bodyfat instead.If you are not burning up your stored carbs your body can never start burning the fat.If you ran 20 miles and then ate a single large bran muffin you just restored all of the carbs you burned running.Don't eat carbs by themselves.You need to chase any carb that you eat with the appropriate volume of protien.I get all of my carbs from veggies and don't eat any starch at all.I have started drinking OJ latley and it's making me plump up a little so I'm gonna cut that off again.You must have discipline in this and be dedicated to your goals.I used my fear of being out of shape if SHTF and took that to the limit.What is your goal?

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#20]
what are your liquids like?

I drink about 6oz of OJ in the morning then I drink 2 servings of 2 cups of Skim Milk the rest of the day. EVERYTHING ELSE is water.

Also make sure your protein is coming in pretty even doses and that your are getting some about an hour before bedtime.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER.

Protein and Creatine both need alot of water to work. Just the water loss from drinking water regularly should be worth a few pounds.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:04:43 AM EDT
[#22]
A lot of good stuff here.
Remember, you don't necessarily want high protien but LOW CARBS.  Start at about 20 grams a day and adjust from there.  What carbs you do take in you want to be getting from lots of leafy green veggies.  You can almost eat as much Romaine lettuce, spinach, green peppers etc... as you like.  Avoid sugars and white flour like the plague.  Watch out for hidden carbs in foods.  Sauces/condiments have TONS of sugar.  Strictly limit fruits (at first at least) and NO fruit juices.  Bread has lots of useless carbs, milk has lots of carbs from SUGAR (skim milk is even worse!)  Make sure your cheese has little/no carbs.  Some do better with little/no cheese.  Check your powders, a lot of the time those have lots of carbs and/or sugar in them.  Don't be afraid of beef and many ranch and blue cheese dressings are okay.  Carbs aren't necessarily bad, just don't waste 'em on sugar and white flour and...
[b] WATER WATER WATER[/b]
You can't drink too much!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:13:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Also one thing a lot of people forget to mention is BEER and partying. at 120 or so calories and about 10g carbs for each can of LITE beer, it adds up pretty quick. esp. for me here in OK since our beer is only 3.2%alc. Just to get a buzz I would have to drink 10-12 on my party nights, fri and sat which incidentally are on my days off from the gym too. Heavy beers like becks or nasty stuff like sam adams or guinness are probably 3 times that.

I pretty much gave up beer (I didn't quit partying) I just will drink clear liquor mixed drinks, like vodka & tonics or gin and tonics if I'm at a bar or if I'm having people over to party at my place or bringing mixers to another persons place I'll do sugar-free kool-aid and everclear, cheap, yummy and POWERFUL! Please y'all don't give me any moral reasons to stop partying either, I like it. (And one day I'll get old like y'all and quit myself!)

If you have a decent muscle-mass built up, set a goal for giving up beer for 2 weeks, take a picture beforehand and one after, see how ripped-up you are underneath it all?

Also a word of warning, a lot of people, and I think there's a big blurb in the Wieder book about alcohol but alcohol itself is supposed to f#ck with your metabolism a lot too so it might be best to give up alcohol completely. though it doesn't seem to effect me (alcohol itself, carbs and cals from beer sure did though) but I'm naturally fairly big and muscular with an already naturally slow metabolism.

Also is you protein powder supplemented with aminos, or are you taking seperate amino supps? the amount of milk and cheese your mentioning is probably small enough you need more aminos, protein is no good without them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I didn't even read the book.  I just ate meats, cheeses, salads, and eggs for 6 weeks and lost 30 pounds.  No bread, no milk, no sugar, NO CARBS.  I never went hungary.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh!! And when I got tired of eating nothing but eggs, cheese, and meat, I'd go to Wally World and get one of those low-carb, low-sugar bars (less than 2g).  They weren't great, but they weren't bad, either.  I used them to control hunger when I just wanted a snack.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I hear ya ericm!  I'm kinda partial to gin martinis myself!  [:)]  A little more on liquor.  Hard liquor has virtually zero carbs.  The problem with liquor (aside from the calories) is that the body burns it for fuel before anything else.  The body uses alcohol first, then carbs, then fat.  If you've got alcohol in your system you're not going to be burning any fat.
If you've got a soft spot for hops and barley like I do, Miller Lite and Milwaukee's Best Light have the lowest carb count I've found at 3.5/12 oz.  Yeah, I know, not very pretty but you do what you gotta do.  I actually prefer the Milwaukee's Best over the Miller Lite.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like you're still taking in too many carbs.  Try for a max of 30 per day.  I've been on Protein Power by Doctors Eades which is virtually the same as Atkins and have lost 52 pounds.  My body loves it but I do crave bread.  Oh well.  Ken
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#29]
You are eating far too many carbohydrates.  A maximum of 60 carbos' per day (this is from the old Air Force diet).  If you are on Adkin's, NO CARBO's for the first several days, then add a few.  To stay in ketosis, 60 carbo's are too high.

Cut your carbohydrates, eat more beef, cheese, and only eat fresh vegetables or frozen.  Canned veggie's usually have to much salt and are really just bulk, all good amino acids have been destroyed do to pasturization.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I lost fifty (50) pounds on the Atkins Diet 2 years ago, and I've never gained a pound back.  Went from 231 to 180 in four months.  Now I vary between 175 and 180. [:D]

True story!

It will work if you want it to.

OBTW, my cholesterol and triglyceride counts improved in that time, also.

[sniper]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's been a week now on this God forsaken protein diet.  Been on it for exactly 7 days, and I haven't lost a friggin' pound.  I'm weight training too, but I can tell that my body fat is the same as it was a week ago.  I'm still doing 130gr protein a day, and lowered my carbo intake from 350gr to 115gr daily.  Not exactly the Atkin's diet, but it's pretty darn good.

WHAT am I doing WRONG???
View Quote

Well, if I remember correctly, Atkin's diet says no more than 20g of carbs a day.  115gr would be way overdoing it.  I have a friend who's father lost 100+lbs following Atkin's closely, so it can work if followed.  Bodybuilders do the same thing when training for competitions as well.  I remember one of the guys going after Mr. Universe last year doing an article on his training regiment, and he completely denied himself carbs for over a month before the competition to drop body fat.

Also, as others have said, drop the milk.

I've personally lost 7lbs in two months just eating subway and Tae Bo'ing, though I have cheated a few times.  At this rate, if I can keep up this damn diet, I should be back down to my target weight in about 9 months.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Hey Guys,

I'm a competitive bodybuilder and currently preparing to dominate the superheavyweight class at the East Coast USA Championships Nov. 3rd here in NJ.

For one:

Atkins, waste of time, you'll always rebound, you will also feel like shit due to lack of carbs.

CArbs are a good thing, stick to potatoes, yams, brown rice, and oatmeal.  Complex, low-glycemic carbs such as these release glucose slowly and will sustain energy.  They also are less apt to store fat.

Stear clear of refined carbs, such as breads, pastas, bagels, sugars, etc. They make you fat, hold water, make you tired, and sluggish, they also fuck up your insulin levels.

You need to first determine your BEE (Basal Energy Expenditure) go here...

http://www.eastcoastmuscle.com/precontestdiet.htm

Lots of Water, up to 2gal a day, if youre man enough, that will flush fat, burn calories, keep your metabloism stoked, and keep you from holding any water, since you keep the intake plentiful.

You need to eat 5-8 times per day, this is a must, you must always be providing your digestive tract food to assimilate, this also burns calories and thus will increase your BEE, making you lose weight.

Protein !  Lean Chicken breast, rinsed Tuna, Eggwhites (add a yold, scramble, and you wont tell its only eggwhites), london broil (less fat than chicken breast!)

Fats, all fats should only be naturally occuring in the meat you consume, adding fat should only be canola oil for cooking (sparingly) and the once in a while spoon of NATURAL (peanuts and salt only) peanut butter.

I'm usually 265-270 in the offseason, and compete above 225, I've lost 30lbs the past 8 weeks and am currently 232.

This is my fortay.....so bring it on guys.

I'll answer anything you throw at me the best I can, I train two times a week with two separate pro bodybuilders who are absolute geniuses when it comes to dieting and training, so I have all resources at my finger tips.

Big "E"

Geezus guys, NO DAIRY PRODUCTS
MAkes youre skin thick, and makes you hold water.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#33]
hey while we're on this, anyone know if there is a good website to buy supplements? I always go to the GNC at the mall here, wondering if there's anything cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#34]
If you wish to lose weight, eliminate the carbs completely.  Your body will switch over to converting stored fat into blood sugar.  to get this switch to flip, you need to shock the body into thinking there are no carbs available at all.  The Atkins book will explain it much better than I can.  I didn't believe it till I tried it.  However the catch is no carbs at all for 2 days, then VERY limited carbs thereafter.
I'm trying to psych myself up to doing it again, but right now, beer is my downfall.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, if this isn't the most conflicting of information post since ".223 vs .308", I don't know what is.  Let me clarify some OTHER information to you:

-If I cut the milk, my protein powder will just sit there doing nothing.  I tried it with water, and it about made me throw up.  So basically, I lose 80gr. protein from dropping the milk/powder.

-"this diet will make you feel light-headed and grumpy"...[b]NOT FUCKING GOOD[/b] for an engineering student who spends 8 hours a day trying to study.

-It doesn't sound like any of this will stay in my food budget of $100-120 per month.  If I eat nothing but $6 roasted chickens and a gallon of water a day, then I'll be doing it with no lights on because I wouldn't be able to pay the power bill.

[b]I NEED FOOD ANSWERS[/b].  If I'm supposed to UP my protein intake, then how in God's name am I supposed to do it when I blew 80gr. of it on milk???  Gallon of water is already taken care of, and sticking with a diet for me is simple...but I can't honestly expect to rack up more than 150gr. of protein and <20gr. carbs off of eggs, cheese, and chicken.  If somebody, [b]ANYBODY[/b], can make me a daily diet of 120-150gr. protein, <20 carbs, low-fat, and under $4 a day, you will be my new hero.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#36]
BillofRights,

The Atkins is old my school my friend, this is the 21st Century.

Carbs are required for brain function, protein assimilation and overall endurance.  This is a diet that garuntees rebound, and is sure to make you lose muscle and feel like shit, read my post again.

E
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Carbs are required for brain function, protein assimilation and overall endurance.  This is a diet that garuntees rebound, and is sure to make you lose muscle and feel like shit, read my post again.

E
View Quote

I'd have to agree, I'm very frightened to lose any of my muscle mass whatsoever.  I just upped my bench 50pounds, for crying out loud, I don't want to stop a good thing in its tracks.
But, high carbs, even with all the weight pumping in the world, won't cut body fat composition - and I have to sacrifice one or the other.  I MUST lose 2% body fat...and the clock is ticking.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Jewbroni,

Ok bro, I hear ya.  I'm a network engineer, so I know how it can be to get too depleted!

Milk is enemy #1, all dairy products are! Mix your friggin proteins with WATER, like a man.  Milk is shit for staying in shape, and will make your skin thick, and you'll look smooth and watery.

You can easily get your protein up dude. You need 2grams protein per pound of bodyweight, dont ask me to dispute this as I consume 400g per day and have for 6 years.

Get your supps @ www.nutritionexpress.com

Cheap, good shipping, and you wont get porked like you do at GNC.

I recommend you purchase a "MRP", meal replacement, LeanBody by Labrada, MEt-Rx is good.  Stear clear of EAS !!! Garbage.

Prolab "Lean MAss" is the best right now, tastes like shit, but its high quality and palatable, I drink 4-5 per day and again, have for years. I pay about $35 for 20, not bad.

As for the real food, and how to do it cheaply, I know best.  Heres two samples of how to get lean, huge, strong, and healthy CHEAPLY.

MuscleMagic Meal "A"

1 box Success Brown Rice (4 packets) $2.00
4lb package of 80-90% lean ground beef $5.00-6.00

Boil the rice for 14mins, not 10 like it says.  Brown the ground beef and be sure to make it into tiny crumbs, no big pieces.

Drain the fat well, and mix well, I use a large commercial grade tupperware for this huge muscle building meal.

8 servings @ 2.5cups (probably more than you can eat)  65g protein 580 calories.  You'll probably get 10-12 meals since I weigh around 240-260. Total cost 8 bucks ! lasts for a week, and will probably feed you lunches for 4-5 days.

MuscleMeal "B"

Eggwhites and oatmeal...

8 eggwhites with one yolk to keep you from hurling, mix well with a wisk and scramble, keeping them moist.

Get a huge Quaker Oats tub, and put one-half cup in a small bowl, cover with water, nuke for 1-1.5mins, add 1/2 banana or 1/4c raisins.

Total Cost $1.25 Protein 40g, carbs 30g...6g fat

I've been doing this for 7 years and have been able to eat to get huge and ripped for literally pennies.  Another good idea is to purchase and freeze bulk chicken breasts when onsale for $1.99 a Lb.  Thats a great deal and the ONLY time I buy it. Store it in the freezer, 8oz of chicken breasts is 50some G protein and eaten with a cheap $0.75 Yam, youre all set.  I also eat 2 boxes per day of flash frozen spinach, cheap, keeps the vitamins high, helps you take a swift shit, and acts as a diuretic!

Let me know if I cant help with anything else!

Big "E"

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Forest,

#1, I dont clain to be anything, I am, and if you would like me to dazzel youre old ass with a pic I'd be sure to do so.

Endocrinology.....impressive, however, most of the doctors in todays medical field are so ignorant to todays advanced dieting and training principles, I can only expect your response. Youre the one with all the money, so you must be the man ! ;-)

Now, back to Atkins.......youre old school.

I'm 5.5% bodyfat 3 weeks out of my show. You wouldnt achieve that if I stuff you in a cardboard box and fed you dust mites, so relax.

ITs the kind of carbs you choose pops, that determines your progress.

Eat only Yams, oatmeal, and brown rice for carbs, then tell me you feel like shit....

Youre out of your league.....

"E"
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Forest

Amateur ?  take a digital pic of that soft pale white hairy indented chest, and post it...we'll see whos talking out thier ass....hehe

COLD CUTS

You dumb bastard....

youre credibility went right out the fucking window! You watered up sodium retaining wannabe health professional....again, youre out of your league....

hahahaha

Jewbroni...

email me at [email protected]

I'd be happy to speak with you on the phone about this, email me, we'll set it up.

Big "E"

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#42]
[size=2]  ok, a few of you have adressed this point, but not completely.  Carbohydrates are good for your body, you need them as much as you need protien.  Your brain only feeds on glucos, which you get from naturaly occuring saccharides and disaccharides.  If you have no carbohydrates in your system your body begins to take the fatty acids stored in adipose tissue (fat cells) and turn them into ketones to feed your brain.  This is not a good thing.  Ketones are acidic and will through off the PH ballance of your body. THIS IS BAD.  

Saturated fat is bad for you, unsaturated fat is good for you.  Your body also needs fats to function.  Most animal fats, except for fish, contain a high level of saturated fat while most plant fats contain a high level of unsaturated fats.  Saturated fats are what clog your arteries and lead to increased risk of heart attack.  When unsaturated fats are heated they turn into saturated fats, so no fried foods.  Fats do not, however, turn into fat on the body, this is done by sugars.

If you want to lose weight then you need to cut out simple carbohydrates (empty calories).  Which means less alcohol, less candy, change to skim milk or drink less milk, etc.  

If you are dedicated to lifting then this should burn calories while you do this as well as cardio workouts.  Try doing cardio workouts right after you wake up, this will cause your body to start burning fat that is already stored, instead of what you just consumed. Go for at least 20 min. at a time, and keep your heart rate up in it's target zone.  Remeber you have to burn more calories than you consume in order to lose weight, eating lots of empty calories will make this harder.  

Wait at least 1 hour to eat after you do cardio.  Avoid milk or foods with fructose in them after you work out, these take a very long time to digest.  

If you are trying to lose weight cutting down your consumption of food will not help.  It can cause your body to go into starvation mode and make it harder for you to lose weight.

If you want to continue to gain mass and strength with your lifting then cutting down on carbohydrates will only make it harder to do this.  

You should not try to lose weight by way of a Protien diet.  Your body can only process about 10g of protein per meal anyway.  Try to change your eating habits to many small meals a day that have a portion of protien a portion of carbohydrates and a portion of vegetables.  A shake or a bar can count as a meal, but try and get a couple of real meals in during the day.

I learned this from my Kinesiology, Chemistry (inorganic, organic, and biochemistry), Anatomy and other coursed while completing my degree in Excercise and Sport Science, along with help from informative magazines like Muscle Media and M&F.  I can also show you these chemical reactions if it will help.  Disagree with me if you like, but do your research on the Atkins diet - it may help you lose weight but it will through off the homeostasis of your bodies systems.

Azaria [soapbox][/size=2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Well said Azaria..

However, there are recent discoveries at 40-55g of protein can be assimilated per two hours...

Tonight I will review my documents and try to aquire it for posting.

I can tell you this, if I ate 10g per meal of protein, I'd shrivel right up.

I eat 50-60, up to 80g per meal.......I can tell I am in an anabolic state and if I consume less than 200g per day I instantly go catabolic.

"E"
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I'll save some space by totally agreeing with Big E. I tried the whole Atkins/Zone thing and it works for a while but it is not a long term solution. Its real hard to maintain lean body mass while restricting carbs. However, I have heard that two of the best new diets are the crack rock and heroin diets. Haven'nt tried them but you can't argue with results.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#45]
ROTFLAMO @ crack and heroin diets......
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Jewbroni, part of the problem is that you are trying to achieve two contradictory goals at once, i.e., lose weight to become thinner and gain weight in the form of muscle. It's not likely to be successful.

Go with the weight loss, or should I say, LIFESTYLE CHANGE first, then see what you can do about the muscle mass.

I've been with Weight Watchers since May and have lost fifty pounds. Was 250, now 200. People who haven't seen me for a while don't even recognise me any more. Go to weightwatchers.org, check it out, see if it's for you. If you can ignore the housewife emphasis, as that is who it was originally designed for, the plan WORKS, if you stick with it.

Exercise + smaller food portions + healthier foods (OK to snack occasionally) = weight loss. No way around it. Habits must be changed. Has to be done gradually, though.

One more thing: lots of available babes at Weight Watchers meetings- good thing I'm already married.... :^)
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#47]
OMG!  If you don't want to lose weight, then go ahead and listen to these people who are telling you to eat more carbs.  Your body converts carbs into glucose faster than it can convert pure sugar into glucose.

Some people can't stand atkins because it is contrary to everything that's ever been taught in college nutrition classes.  It blows the food pyramid away, along with the rest of conventional thought.

You will not lose muscle on atkins unless you stay on it too long.  Work out while you're on atkins, you're eating nothing but protein anway.  The best way to lose muscle is to not eat at all.

I stayed right at 20-30 grams of carbs per day, with no sugar, for 6 weeks and lost 30 pounds.  I've been off for four months and I haven't gained anything back because I stay away from beer and soft-drinks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well said Azaria..

However, there are recent discoveries at 40-55g of protein can be assimilated per two hours...

Tonight I will review my documents and try to aquire it for posting.

I can tell you this, if I ate 10g per meal of protein, I'd shrivel right up.

I eat 50-60, up to 80g per meal.......I can tell I am in an anabolic state and if I consume less than 200g per day I instantly go catabolic.

"E"
View Quote

[size=2]  I would enjoy reading this study if you can post it.  It seems I was ineffective in my point on protiens while I was standing on my soap box though.  Yes the body needs protiens just as it needs carbohydrates and lipids.  Essential amino acids can only be acquired by some of the foods we eat, however what is needed in any diet is balance.  Too many protiens can be as bad as too many carbohydrates.  It would be interesting to see these new findings on protiens, it seems I may have to update my findings. [/size=2]

Azaria [thinking]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#49]
 Jewbroni I went back and read your orginal message again and I have a question.  How are you measuring your success? Are you using a regular scale that measures total body weight, or are you using a method that measures only body fat?

Azaria
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I did the protein diet a year or so ago.  I lost 8 pounds in the first week, and another 6 the second week.  Then Thanksgiving came.....  I will try it again this year soon after Xmas.  Too many big meals and leftovers to avoid.  I cant do it.

I followed the plan like it was the key to my life.  All I can say is to avoid lifting weights and do more cardiovascular exorcises.  I did lots of walking and hiking for my workouts.  You can add the muscle later, this diet was more for ridding the excess fat, not building muscle.

JRB  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top