Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2006 9:18:03 PM EDT
House has not been occupied all summer and I went today to attempt to do some work around the place. The breakers were off and when I turned them on the AC blower immediately went on, despite the stat being swithced to AUTO on the fan side and OFF on the HEAT/Cool side.

It shoud not run unless I switch it to FAN ON mode or COOL. Somethings wrong, but I have no idea what it is.

The heat pump ac thingy turns on when I switch it over to cool, but it blows tepid air. An hour of blowing did not reduce the interior temp below 100. I shut it off and headed home.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a little box near your outside unit? (maybe above it on the side of the house) Open it up and see id there's a little metal doorknocker looking thing in there..if so pull it out
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like a bad thermostat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be a bad stat or the fan relay inside the indoor blower unit is stuck..
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
House has not been occupied all summer and I went today to attempt to do some work around the place. The breakers were off and when I turned them on the AC blower immediately went on, despite the stat being swithced to AUTO on the fan side and OFF on the HEAT/Cool side.

It shoud not run unless I switch it to FAN ON mode or COOL. Somethings wrong, but I have no idea what it is.

The heat pump ac thingy turns on when I switch it over to cool, but it blows tepid air. An hour of blowing did not reduce the interior temp below 100. I shut it off and headed home.

Any ideas?

Heat pumps are a little bit more difficult to diagnose.  sounds like it has a low charge if it didn't cool down the space or blow out cool air.  but it also could be a bad thermostat.  Hard to diagnose without looking at it.  sounds like a bad stat or bad fan contactor (welded shut)

sounds like it's time to call someone local.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Grrr.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grrr.

Where ya at here ?  I'm in Phx.  Not an A/C tech, but an electrician with a good bit of time working on them, over the years.

Maybe I can help you out....

John
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Fan contactor could be "stuck". Does the contactor pull in when you put power to it or does it STAY in when you (or someone else) kills the power? If it stays in, then maybe the contactor needs to be freed up or replaced. Lightning?
Stay safe
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Could be a bad stat or the fan relay inside the indoor blower unit is stuck..

Sounds about right. Start with the T-Stat, especially if you have had lightning recently. Takes very little to fry a t-stat. Also the CHEAPEST place to start.

Pull cover, check contiuity with stat on but turned high enough to not call for cool. If it OHMS out [beeps] across the tstat then its fried. If thats OK I'd suspect the fan relay. If it's newer I'd then suspect the board but that depends on of the board and if it runs off 24v or 120. [prolly 24] if newer the relay will be on the board anyways.

If digital t-stat start there, very susceptable to problems like this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Offered to help.  I'm likely local even.....

No reply here since or to IM sent....

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I live 200 miles out, but thanks for the offer!

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, so not THAT local    Oh well.....  Like others have said, it's more than likely just a stuck fan relay in the air hander, or the thremostat is smoked.

Unscrew/unsnap the thermostat from it's base while the power is on.  See if the fan shuts off.  That'll tell you whether the problem is the stat, or in the air handler.

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Unscrew/unsnap the thermostat from it's base while the power is on.  See if the fan shuts off.  That'll tell you whether the problem is the stat, or in the air handler.

Will do, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will do, thanks.

Ohh, and you might have to wait a little bit after you disconnect the stat FOR the fan to turn off.  Some units have a timer and the fan will run for a given number of minutes after the heat/cool call (stat) is satisfied.  Some can run for 5 minutes after the stat is disconnected.  

It's not COMMON, but it's possible.

Feel free to IM me if you like, when you take the thing off, if you have any more questions.  I can probably help you at the very least, determine where the problem is.

John
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grrr.

Call MCTLTD, Mike Thomas, he will not screw you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yuma right?

Still call Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top