Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/7/2002 9:02:31 AM EST
Even though they mention them in the movie, there are no protests, no lawsuits, etc... At first I thought there was no way the police tactics would be allowed then I remembered they already do most of them. Searching a building without a warrant. Don't they do that in some cities public housing now? Or is it national? What kind of crap is scanning you everywhere you go? But I guess we allow that too. ID's at the airport, toll tags, IP addresses. And what about that arresting people before they commit a crime? I understand both points. It sucks the police can't do anything until a crime has been commited. And yet, they haven't done anything so how do you justify arresting them? And no death penalty in the future or just DC? Also it looks like no prisons in the conventional sense either.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:21:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By Andrewh: IP addresses.
View Quote
While I find the rest of your post valid, I have to question this one--exactly how else would you propose to communicate over an IP network?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:25:17 AM EST
I thought everyone knew there were annonimizers on the net. I realize you need an ip address, but it doesn't have to go to everyone.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:32:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By Andrewh: I thought everyone knew there were annonimizers on the net. I realize you need an ip address, but it doesn't have to go to everyone.
View Quote
Proxy servers can be compromised. If you have need to obscure your IP address, you'll have to take greater steps than a simple "anonymizer."
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:55:29 AM EST
I understand, that was not my point. It was just a simple explination for why I added IP address. I guess it is just that the movie made me think of all the things we have given up and what we might.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:07:11 AM EST
have you ever gone on Mapquest, and used the "Aerieal" view? It shows the map your looking at, but instead of the streets and stuff it shows a satallite picture. I know theres more sites that specalice in just satallite pictures. So to my point, it took me about 5 minutes after logging onto mapquest to have a picture of my house with my car in the driveway, and this is the technology thats open to the public, so imagine what isn't given to us. Also about a month ago i went to the zoning commision to get the zoning codes for my property so i can build a garage. Within 10 minutes he pulled a LIVE satallite picture of my area, superimposed property livnes, then superimposed the Watershed Protection act boundry (can't build within 100' of it) but my point on this is ALL of this was publicly avaliable, they also had hardcopy maps with ALOT of detail, he even mentioned "Oh, thats a cream colored house 2 dors down from the pond, right?" This was just with my address, before he pulled up any maps. I thought of covering my entire house with tinfoil, but that'll make it more visable, but then i'd be totally safe, anyone else do their house? and suggestions? (j/k about the foil :p) but all of this made me think a little more...
Top Top