Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 4:16:18 PM EDT
So I decided to build myself a 22LR AR - similiar to my SHTF gun so I can train on the cheap.

Brilliant, I told myself - I can use older optics, sights, etc. to emulate my favorite go-to weapon.

Then I got greedy.

I figured, what the hell - I am building a 22LR AR, I can add a FOLDING & COLLAPSABLE STOCK!  That will be cool!

I know, it is a departure from my existing weapon, but I don't need to shoot with it folded up - it won't really change my cheek weld, and I can show my homies and brag a little.

SO, 3 months ago, I called ACE.  I figured they make the products to do this, so I will learn from them what I need and BUY IT!  They know exactly what to do because THEY ARE THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE THE FUCKING FOLDING STOCKS THAT EVERYBODY USES!  They have the technology!  I don't want to fuck up - I will go to the source - ACE will know JUST WHAT I NEED!

The lady on the phone told me noone was available to talk to me - everyone had just gotten back from a show (not the SHOT show) so I needed to call back in a week.  That was my first clue.

I called back.  I told whomever I spoke with that I needed a folding mechanism for an AR that would allow me to mount a 6 position extension.  ACE told me I could not do that unless I was running a 22LR or some other systems (like the Oly) - I said NP!  This is a 22LR!  And I thought that was cool - they were trying to get me what I needed!  ACE gave me an item number and I ordered what they told me to get!  It was backordered, so a few weeks went by.

It arrived!  It was a folding mechanism with NO MEANS WHATSOEVER of mounting to an AR lower.
Second clue.

I called ACE.  Noone was available, that person isn't here, noone can help you right now, etc.  I tried for several weeks.  Third clue.

Then I got some assistance!  ACE told me what to order!  A stud that mounts in the receiver and the mechanism mounts to the stud!  PERFECT!  It looked like a genius solution.  I got an item number and I ordered.  It was backordered, so a few weeks went by.

It arrived!  I got my parts kit, my lower, my upper, receiver extension do-dads, and my folding/collapsable stock goodness!  The lock-up on the receiver extension was week - trying to tighten it resulted in rotating the extension - bummer, but I got it as tight as it would go and STAKED THE MOFO.  HAHA!

I finished building the gun and I discovered what?  The folding mechanism sets TOO HIGH to allow the GODDAMNED charging handle to travel far enough rearward to charge the motherfucking weapon.

But wait!  The mechanism mounts with screws through slots!  It is ADJUSTABLE!  GENIUS!

Unfortuanately, there is an island on the back of the mechanism that interfaces with the stud to prevent the mechanism from rotating.  NO PROBLEM.  I own a mill.  I took that mofo back half-fucking-way and set back up.

GUESS WHAT!  There aint enough adjustment in the fucking screw slots EVEN WITH the island milled back.  The studd cannot be rotated, or the mechanism will sit even higher.  The studd cannot be re-tapped because there aint enough goddamned metal left.  The slots cannot be cut further cuz there aint enough meat ther either.  I can't mill down the top of the mechanism, because it will expose the inside of the receiver extension and also remove the top of the receiver end plate that the fucking extension tube castle nut to which it is staked.

I now own a 22LR AR that can only be charged when the stock is folded.  Cute.

So now I need to call ACE - KNOWING FULL WELL they have NO IDEA what the fuck it is that they sell and KNOWING FULL WELL it will take weeks IF THEY EVEN HAVE A SOLUTION.

Am I the first idiot in this world that has tried to install a collapsable folding stock on an AR?

Anyone else call ACE, buy products, and get dissappointed?

I can rewrite this with more profanity to make a better rant, but I am going to save alot of what I have for ACE.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my ACE stock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
uh...you could just buy a cheap 4 position CAR collapsible stock for like 30-40 bucks...

My one experience with ACE stocks was not positive...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love my ACE stock.

this

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]

oh yeah,  and so it begins

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my ACE stock.

this

+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I like mine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had no problems with my Ace stock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my ACE stock.

this

+1

Same here.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I like mine.

Me too.

Bet this thread ain't goin' like you thought it would.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I figured, what the hell - I am building a 22LR AR, I can add a FOLDING & COLLAPSABLE STOCK! That will be cool!

THIS....is the problem!...You figured instead of researching to make sure of EXACTLY what you needed!

Don't blame ACE...who makes one Helluva product because of YOUR incompetence..

Sorry, But the guy at ACE is a hell of a guy and I sat and talked with him and his woman at a Shot Show and he is TRULY one of us..

So in this case I have to defend his company and products...

Eta...Next time make sure you get the right shit by making sure you KNOW what you need to finish your project!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top