Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2002 7:18:54 PM EDT
Anybody else catch the highly dramatized "report" on how easy it was to connect with a seller and personally close a deal for an AR in NYC via the internet ? Complete with hidden camera and night vision shots of the deal "going down" Saw the end of it on the 6 o'clock news with commentary by Schumer of course gonna try and catch the whole thing at 11.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I didnt see it, but I bet they didnt mention that it was a LEGAL process!
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not from that area, but I have to add this...

I can find guns being sold on the internet.  But most of the time, it is an FFL and/or all regulations apply.

I haven't tried to see if I could find a "illegal" selling site.... ya know, private sales outside of the "state".  Seller ships right to your door... no papers.  I bet it can happen, but more likely a sting.  But I haven't looked.  I have no reason to do such things.... as I can do private sales w/in my own state.  Or just by from a FFL, as I have no restrictions.

What ever happened to unbiased reporting....

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Why didn't they go out and buy a bag of dope ?

..Oh, I forgot, drug dealers are dangerous.
Gun owners aren't...
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope they did not run it on the abbreviated 11 o'clock edition. Appently they hooked up with a local (NYC vicinity) private seller and cut a deal at his house and as I said had "hidden camera" video and a night cam shot of the buy guy walking across a parking lot with the AR in hand. Dont think they broke any laws as far as personal transfer or anything but painted it as an underground arms bazzar seving felons 24/7 in some guys basement. Guess the "gun show loophole" did not pan out for them.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:19:01 AM EDT
[#6]
That's the next law to be passed.  

Private sales will be banned.  

The next spot you'll see is "John" the convicted felon, ushered by an ABC News crew, buys an AR-15 from a private seller.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#7]
SELL a firearm???
I thought you could only BUY firearms.
I feel so used...
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:45:04 AM EDT
[#8]
ABC - "More Americans get their mis-information from ABC than from any other source"
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link to the story:
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/WABC_investigators_103102rifle.htm

Does A Legal Loophole Allow Anyone To Buy An Assault-Style Rifle Like The One Used By The Sniper?

(New York-WABC, October 31, 2002) — Just how easy is it to buy a military-style assault rifle without undergoing a background check? The Eyewitness News Investigators go undercover to for the answer. They discovered a loop hole in the gun laws when they set out to try and buy a gun similar to the one used by the DC-area sniper. Jim Hoffer went undercover to test the state's gun laws and brings us the story.
Watch the Story ...| Latest In The DC-Area Sniper Case

One of the many disturbing questions coming out of the DC-area sniper case, is how did someone with a protective order against him get his hands on an assault rifle. Background checks are supposed to catch any buyers troubled history, be it criminal or psychological. But as we found out, that was not the case in the world of private gun sales, where legally military-style rifles are bought and sold anonymously.

The ease in which you can buy a military-style assault rifle on the Internet is astonishing. In minutes, I found an AK-47-type semiautomatic rifle for sale in Westchester County. After a few emails back and forth between the gun owner and me the sale was complete.

Hours later, I picked up the gun at the sellers' home without ever revealing my identity, without any background check. All of it legal because no check is required when buying rifles privately outside New York City.

For $700, I was able to buy 200 rounds of ammunition, four 30-round magazine clips and a semiautomatic assault-like rifle with a high-powered scope, which makes it easy for even a novice like me to shoot accurately.

Lt. Frank Bisceglia, Harrison Police Department: "It's a scoped weapon, which makes it accurate and able to be used by just about anyone, in that they're able to put the cross hairs... center of cross hairs on their target and hit it very easily."

Lt. Frank Bisceglia is a firearms instructor for the Harrison Police Department. He demonstrated the devastating power of the gun I so easily bought online. It's bullets nearly pierced a quarter inch thick steel plate.

Lt. Bisceglia: "You can see where it actually melted the steel. The round actually melted the steel. It came very close to going through. I believe that these weapons should be very limited. Their use is limited. And not just anyone should be able to own a weapon like this."

I was able to buy this assault-style rifle with less than the information required to rent a movie or borrow a library book. And that is because in the state of New York anyone can buy any rifle from a private seller without revealing anything about their background.

To some that is a law that borders on the insane.

Andy Pelosi, New Yorkers Against Gun Violence: "The sniper situation, I think, highlights the problem we are seeing. The potential for disaster. For the wrong folks to go through what are still legal channels and obtain weapons."

Three years ago, Eyewitness News went undercover to expose how you could legally buy a small arsenal of weapons at guns shows in New York without any identification.

Governor George Pataki, New York (February, 1999): "It's one that we will look into. I am clearly not comfortable that that can happen."

After our investigation, the governor made background checks on the sale of all gun show firearms mandatory. Now, some are calling for him to do the same for private gun sales.

Jim Hoffer, Eyewitness News: "You can get on the Internet, like we did, and the very next day you can walk out of someone's house with this gun."
Lt. Bisceglia: "Yes, and that's the part that makes it ludicrous."

Had I purchased the rifle through a gun dealer, the FBI Data Center would have run a computer background check to ensure I had no criminal record. This year alone, the FBI has blocked the sale of 46,000 guns, most of them to convicted felons.

But because I bought the gun from a stranger I found on the Internet, no check was required. It is a loophole that New York's senior senator finds chilling.

Senator Charles Schumer, New York: "If you are crazed criminal, like the sniper in Maryland, a terrorist, you can find your way to buy a very, very powerful assault-like weapon here in America. That shouldn't be."

The New York State Rifle and Pistol Association tells Eyewitness News that a law requiring background checks for private rifle sales will not stop guns from getting into the hands of criminals. A spokesman says it will only place an unfair burden on law abiding citizens.

We should also note that we made several attempts to get a comment on our investigation from Governor Pataki's office, but this is apparently not an issue he want to talk about now.

Cant belive someone paid $700 for what looks like a SAR 1 ! They need to go back to westchester and get about $400. back. Also in the promos yeterday they touted it as an AR. Sounds to me like they went straight to Harrison PD to "turn the weapon over"  after the sale was complete , Good sheeeple! So much for objective journalism.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:24:40 AM EDT
[#10]
He said he also got a scope, ammo and magazines.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's bullets nearly pierced a quarter inch thick steel plate.

Lt. Bisceglia: "You can see where it actually melted the steel. The round actually melted the steel. It came very close to going through.
View Quote

What?! The rounds don't even penetrate a flimsy quarter-inch thick piece of steel? How pathetic. :)

So the scope makes the gun "very accurate" and everybody can shoot sub-MOA at 5,000 yards I guess. Pretty funny, considering I still didn't get the hang of using a scope (or peephole sights, come to think of it)
Must be quite the wonder scope that eliminates breathing, trigger jerking, pulse, dials itself in for elevation, windage, distance etc., calculates speed and necessary lead, eliminates mirage...
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#12]
No.
Love the a--hole police Lt. saying anyone with a scope can hit a target. Guess the jerkoff has never sighted in a scope. He knows nothing about it. Definitely the Peter Principle. Promoted to his maximum level of incompetence.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#13]
So when are they going to do something truly useful and outlaw news reporters?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Lt. Bisceglia: "...Their use is limited. And not just anyone should be able to own a weapon like this." Meaning it's okay for the police to own them, but not ordinary citizens.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No.
Love the a--hole police Lt. saying anyone with a scope can hit a target. Guess the jerkoff has never sighted in a scope. He knows nothing about it. Definitely the Peter Principle. Promoted to his maximum level of incompetence.
View Quote

This in effect would be defacto registration, since all records could be traced.  IF ANYTHING, i think a hotline for private sales NICS checks could be reasonable.  A "code" number for the check could be given to the seller to verify he did it.  It would not be financially intrusive, nor would it be as tracable to the extent that a FFL transfer would be.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lt. Bisceglia: "...Their use is limited. And not just anyone should be able to own a weapon like this." Meaning it's okay for the police to own them, but not ordinary citizens.
View Quote

Of course, because police officers need weapons that can be "spray fired from the hip" and are designed to "kill large numbers of people"
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#17]
As we all know, making private sales illegal will keep the bad guys getting guns. Being that it is against the law....and they NEVER beak the law.

Another thought....allthese guns that are accurate to 6000 yards with a scope on them....if you go by CNN's artist rendition of the AR that was used....having the scope on backwards makes it APPEAR that the target is 6000 yards away.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#18]
what gun rights group has demanded equal time to challenge the incorrect and biased reporting?

edited to add:
"This in effect would be defacto registration, since all records could be traced. IF ANYTHING, i think a hotline for private sales NICS checks could be reasonable. A "code" number for the check could be given to the seller to verify he did it. It would not be financially intrusive, nor would it be as tracable to the extent that a FFL transfer would be."

Why bother with the private sale background check - hell, lets just move forward with the owner database and be done with it.  Of course this idea is just as absurd as the thinking that private sale checks won't have records kept on the buyer or that the anti's will stop with this 'common sense' measure.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#19]
What would these scum-sucking marxist liberal pukes say if the saw the approximately 10 receivers (most with subsequent build-out to complete guns) I made on my mini-mill (6 AR15s, 2 AR10, and 2 1911s).  No NICS, no registration forms, no 4473, no paper trail, no serial numbers, no manufacturer markings, in fact no paper at all.

Pissing of democrats and having fun. [}:D] [}:D]

Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#20]
But did you pay the 11% Federal excise tax on the rifles you made?? j/k. You can see how absurd things can get.
If someone built a mouse killing rubber band gun, would the democraps try to outlaw it??
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Imagine if these fuckers ever find out about the "80% gunsmithing loophole?"  Watching them try to finish a lower in front of a milling machine would be too much for me.  I'd have to go there and personally kill them myself.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What would these scum-sucking marxist liberal pukes say if the saw the approximately 10 receivers (most with subsequent build-out to complete guns) I made on my mini-mill (6 AR15s, 2 AR10, and 2 1911s).  No NICS, no registration forms, no 4473, no paper trail, no serial numbers, no manufacturer markings, in fact no paper at all.

Pissing of democrats and having fun. [}:D] [}:D]

View Quote

Shhhhhhh!

[img]http://hstrial-RHingston.homestead.com/files/anotherbro.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top