Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 5:53:48 AM EDT
ABC News (radio) announced that over 46,000 New York City residents were registered to vote in both their home district and also in the state of Florida. The anouncement mentioned that two-thirds (2/3) are registered Democrats 12 percent are Republicans the rest independents.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
[nelson]HA-HA![/nelson]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]
abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/reuters20040822_117.html

Thousands Registered to Vote in 2 States-Report
Reuters

Aug. 22, 2004 — NEW YORK (Reuters) - About 46,000 people are registered to vote in two states, New York and Florida, a violation of both states' laws that could affect the outcome of the November presidential election, according to an investigation by the Daily News.

Many New Yorkers spend the winter months in sunny Florida, which played a pivotal role in the 2000 election after George W. Bush narrowly won the state in a contested ballot recount. Florida could be a crucial state in the November presidential election.

The New York tabloid examined computer records to ferret out duplicate registrations in New York City and Florida.

The Daily News said it could not provide an exact count of how many people vote in both places, because millions of names are purged between elections. But the newspaper found that between 400 and 1,000 registered voters voted twice in at least one election, a federal offense punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Of the 46,000 registered in both states, 68 percent are Democrats, 12 percent are Republicans and 16 percent didn't align themselves with a party, the newspaper reported on Sunday.

The duel registrations have gone undetected because election officials do not check voter rolls across state lines, the newspaper said.

"There's no extensive investigation normally on a voter registration form," Steven Richman, general counsel for the city Board of Elections, told the paper. "We accept it at its face value."

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Yet somehow I don't expect the media to be moaning and whining about how the legitimate Florida voters, particularly Republicans, were "disenfranchised" by this fraud.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been wondering about this.  Tons of New Yorkers move to Florida every year...its just the cool thing to do.  If you're registered to vote in one state and then move to another and register there, aren't you now registered in both?  I moved to NYC from Houston 7 years ago but Texas still sends me my voter card every year to my family's house.  I've never heard of someone 'unregistering'
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:30:41 AM EDT
[#5]
So all votes really do count...some TWICE!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Shocking, I tell you.

Vote early, and vote often.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
.....damn yankees.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#8]
There is nothing illegal about being registered in two states, but voting TWICE is illegal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
.....damn yankees.

on edit.........damn democrats
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:48:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've been wondering about this.  Tons of New Yorkers move to Florida every year...its just the cool thing to do.  If you're registered to vote in one state and then move to another and register there, aren't you now registered in both?  I moved to NYC from Houston 7 years ago but Texas still sends me my voter card every year to my family's house.  I've never heard of someone 'unregistering'

i never heard of someone having to "unregister." your voter registration has an expiration on it - it does not last forever. some of these folks probably moved down , registered to vote while not realizing their previous state's registration has not expired yet. many are, after all, seniors. i forget how long the registration is valid for, but it is just for a year or two. now on the other hand, some may have done this under more knowingly and deceptive pretenses.  
mp
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I think the problem is what they call "Snow Birds".  These are people that live in New York or other northern states during the summer and come to Florida during the winter.  I think that legally, they can only be residents of one state or the other.  I'm not sure of how to fix the problem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#12]
more election mess to be whined about when kerry loses the election, well, not to worry as the un will be overseeing the US election for president this time

i feel safer already
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The Texas new voter registration card has a place for you to indicate you're former voting precinct. That's how you're 'unregistered'. I would NY's would have something similar.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#14]
ETA: Yeah, box 10.

www.elections.state.ny.us/download/voting/voteform.pdf

(Whoops, that was meant to be an edit to the previous post not a new post )
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't get it. How can you vote in New york and fly down to florida and vote again on the same day? That's alot of people...The airlines must have special shuttles just for this
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:08:06 AM EDT
[#16]
create an interstate data base of registrations. kind of like how a cop here in NY can have dispatch run the license plate of a car from CA (heard one on the scanner the other day)

Quoted:
I think the problem is what they call "Snow Birds".  These are people that live in New York or other northern states during the summer and come to Florida during the winter.  I think that legally, they can only be residents of one state or the other.  I'm not sure of how to fix the problem.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]
That is illegal...they should round em up and charge em....ALL parties involved. Word is there are some Repubs in it too...but the Dems are the clear majority of double registrations.

A task force of UN Election Inspectors should be dispatched to their homes in both states and they should execute anyone they encounter at those addresses....isn't that what the UN election monitoring group is supposed to do?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Why does this not surprise me?  I guess, as a Kalifornia, law-breaking, cheating and democrat more or less mean the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't get it. How can you vote in New york and fly down to florida and vote again on the same day? That's alot of people...The airlines must have special shuttles just for this

absentee ballot

And early voting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
There is nothing illegal about being registered in two states, but voting TWICE is illegal.

Being registered in more than one state SHOULD be illegal. You register in ONE state, and if you're not IN that state during an election you vote w/ an absentee ballot, or you don't vote.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#24]
So how many states should I register in?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Voter registrations do not expire as long as they are ACTIVE...  sometimes it can take a decade to purge dead voters from the rolls.  I'm an election inspector for the State of New York.  In fact I have my certification course this evening for the September primaries and November general.

Unless you are a Democr@t then you are never purged!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So how many states should I register in?

GunLvr

At least 2...One with your real name and one with your Pirrrrrrate name!

Ahrrrrr!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I think the budget flights are from Air Tran used to be ValueJet or some such.  I recall seeing $99 trips from DC to FL.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#28]
What needs to be done here is for the state of NY to identify these people who voted in NY but claim to be Florida residents. Once they have a list the state of NY can then force them to pay all the back taxes (NY State Income Tax) that they illegally avoided. Then the state of Florida can disallow their residence claims in Florida because they were registered to vote in NY and actually did vote there. Florida can then force these bastards to pay back any money that they might owe the state for illegally claiming homestead exemption if they own a home in Florida and claimed residence here.

Lots of people from other states claim Florida as their legal residence because Florida has no state income tax. Hard to prove that you're a resident here if you're registered to vote in another state and in fact, voted there.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Funny - Floridians do not find this to be cool at all.  Please inform as many people as you can that it is very NOT cool and they should stay up there where they belong.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Could anyone possibly be SURPRISED by this Profound Revelation(TM)?

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't mind if New Yorkers move to Florida so long as they are comitted to living here and leave the poisoned leftist ideology in New York where it belongs. What I do resent is when they move here and then try to change Florida into a leftist cesspool like the one they left.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Think of it this way. New York is gonna go for Kerry and with plenty of room to spare. If these New York people go back and forth between New York and Florida between seasons, then they will be back down there by November and thus, election day. With the heavy volume of them being democrats, they can not only be assured of capturing New York without their presence, but perhaps put the dems over in FL where the race is close.

Now the dems wanna freaking cry to me that the republicans stole the election? Those folks don't even have a right to criticize the Grinch and his stealing of Christmas with their actions compared!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#34]
In my state you don't have to "de-register" when you move out of state (or county), but you cannot vote in the de-registered state.  There isn't any notification sent from the new state to the old state of registration.  When you register in a new state or county, you are essentially stating on the forms you are "de-registering" from your old registration and state you will not vote there.

If you do vote twice in the same election, you violate state and federal laws, assuming there are state and local issues on the ballot.  I think these people ought to be prosecuted and the right to vote taken away forever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, its been 8 years since i voted in TX and 7 since I moved to NYC.  I haven't renewed my TX registration but when I went to visit the family a few months ago, there was a new registered voter card that had just come in the mail.  Like someone said earlier, being registered in more than one state isn't illegal but voting twice in the same election is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top