Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/17/2004 11:53:58 AM EST

Sept. 17, 2004 — The man cited in media reports as having allegedly pressured others in the Texas Air National Guard to help George W. Bush is speaking out, telling ABC News in an exclusive interview that he never sought special treatment for Bush.

Retired Col. Walter Staudt, who was brigadier general of Bush's unit in Texas, interviewed Bush for the Guard position and retired in March 1972. He was mentioned in one of the memos allegedly written by Lt. Col. Jerry Killian as having pressured Killian to assist Bush, though Bush supposedly was not meeting Guard standards.

"I never pressured anybody about George Bush because I had no reason to," Staudt told ABC News in his first interview since the documents were made public.

The memo stated that "Staudt is pushing to sugar coat" a review of Bush's performance.

Staudt said he decided to come forward because he saw erroneous reports on television. CBS News first reported on the memos, which have come under scrutiny by document experts who question whether they are authentic. Killian, the purported author of the documents, died in 1984.

Staudt insisted Bush did not use connections to avoid being sent to Vietnam.

"He didn't use political influence to get into the Air National Guard," Staudt said, adding, "I don't know how they would know that, because I was the one who did it and I was the one who was there and I didn't talk to any of them."

‘Highly Qualified’

During his time in charge of the unit, Staudt decided whether to accept those who applied for pilot training. He recalled Bush as a standout candidate.

"He was highly qualified," he said. "He passed all the scrutiny and tests he was given."

Staudt said he never tried to influence Killian or other Guardsmen, and added that he never came under any pressure himself to accept Bush. "No one called me about taking George Bush into the Air National Guard," he said. "It was my decision. I swore him in. I never heard anything from anybody."...

ABC News
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:56:58 AM EST
<---sings: "Put another log on the fire..."
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:58:59 AM EST
Who cares what this guy says? He's a Republican shill. Dan Rather is the only guy I trust and he already told me the truth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:01:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By ArmedAggie:
Who cares what this guy says? He's a Republican shill. Dan Rather is the only guy I trust and he already told me the truth.

Dan Rather got it from the Weekly World News!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:02:12 PM EST
Looks like this CBS story just keeps getting more and more full of holes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:13:24 PM EST
Hey could someone help me???? My wrist is killing me from hammering nails into Kerry's Campaign coffin.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:55:11 PM EST
Killian's son referred to Staudt as an old-school hard nosed aviator, bet ya he's ready to personally kick Dan Rather's butt....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:02:32 PM EST
Oh this just gets better by the day. Why don't they just pour gasoline on Kerry and light him up. His campagin crew are so helpful. I can see why he wanted the new guys to take over.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:19:05 PM EST
How can he be a Retired Colonel if he was a Brigadier General? Did this guy get busted or something? Wasn't he retired prior to the memo he was mentioned in?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:41:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
How can he be a Retired Colonel if he was a Brigadier General? Did this guy get busted or something? Wasn't he retired prior to the memo he was mentioned in?

Maybe it was a brevet rank...

ya know... LIKE CUSTER
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:42:26 PM EST
Ya know, a GOP commercial with General Staudt discussing who he is and why he is voting for GWB would be interesting....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:44:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:

Possibly he was a Col. in the Regular Army and a Brigadier General in the Guard.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:22:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 2:23:18 PM EST by Herzo]
There could be and often was a difference in an officers rank and his permanent grade. I don't know what the situation is now, but in the 1960's Army a Bird Colonel could hold the temporary rank of Brigadier General. No conflict here. His permanent rank defined his retirement.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:31:01 PM EST
I suspect that ABC news merely did a typo and mistakenly called him a Colonel.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:01:54 AM EST
Bump - since memogate is still going strong and this interview is being ignored by the mainstream media.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:04:50 AM EST
ARMY? I thought he was in the AIR National Guard.
Top Top