Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 10:36:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 10:46:31 AM EST by DonS]
Anyone here watch 9th Company, a movie about a Soviet unit in Afganistan in the late 80s?

Lots of AK-74, PKM, and SVD action. Also BMPs and T-72s and Mi-24s. And the muzzle loading granade launchers on the AK-74s, and the M-72 LAWs rockets RPG-18s. Could have used more RPG-7.

The movie depicts the brutal Russian treatment of recruits and troops. I enjoyed the actions scenes, but in most of these it was somewhat ruined by the fact that they all bunched up, which gave it an unnecessary fake fealing. The Afgan human wave attacks at the end also seemed too bunched up.

I enjoyed the mountain scenery.

The love interest was hot, and she was the love interest of all the Russian troops in A'stan, it seems.

http://www.9thcompany.com/
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:44:31 AM EST
Watched it a couple weeks ago.....the acting was a little ehhh at times but pretty good movie.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:44:41 AM EST
Not a bad flick.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:50:04 AM EST
Pretty good movie. You can find it on youtube.

Pretty non-political too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:50:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By tyman:
Watched it a couple weeks ago.....the acting was a little ehhh at times but pretty good movie.

I thought some of the acting was good, some not so much. The translation may not have helped.

I like to watch Das Boot in German, with subtitles, but I can't do that when the kids are watching, they hate that. So far I've watched 9th Company only with subtitles, not even sure if I have any options.

I actually bought 9th Company not knowing anything about it except what was on the cover––it was my first Blue Ray.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:54:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By elcope:

Some of the political that is in it is about being sold out by their own side. It's based (very loosly) on real events, but in reality the unit wasn't left behind, and suffered casulties much lower than in the movie.

I can tease out some other political points, but nothing that bothers me. Politiclly speaking this movie is relaxing, unlike a lot of Hollywood crap.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:54:58 AM EST
Taken for what it's worth and that Russian movies simply don't have the production budget and ability of Hollywood,it's really not bad.

As for the action,it looked scarily similar to the many videos of ambushes during the war there. It's considerably more realistic than the Afghan war as portrayed in Charlie Wilson's War.

If you didn't know this,the movie was inspired by an actual battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Hill_3234

The mujahideen facing the Soviets were led by Jalaluddin Haqqani,who Charlie Wilson once called "goodness personified" but of course now runs the Haqqani Network,responsible for much violence in Afghanistan... plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:55:46 AM EST
I laughed at the PKM with the slightly bent (to the side) barrel.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:57:21 AM EST
Love this movie. It's great seeing Die-hard Reagan Republicans cheering for the Soviets
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:59:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
Taken for what it's worth and that Russian movies simply don't have the production budget and ability of Hollywood,it's really not bad.

As for the action,it looked scarily similar to the many videos of ambushes during the war there. It's considerably more realistic than the Afghan war as portrayed in Charlie Wilson's War.

The mujahideen facing the Soviets were led by Jalaluddin Haqqani,who Charlie Wilson once called "goodness personified" but of course now runs the Haqqani Network,responsible for much violence in Afghanistan... plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

So, who was the bad assed "Ray-Ban man" they faced at the end?

One thing I liked about the movie: the mujahideen near the end were depicted as very effective. It was reasonably well balanced.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:00:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By TheGrandIllusion:
Love this movie. It's great seeing Die-hard Reagan Republicans cheering for the Soviets

Soviets? I was cheering the PKMs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:07:26 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:28:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By DonS:

I was referring to people I've personally watched it with.

Seems like the Soviets knew something that we didn't at the time and we paid dearly for it in 2001. Karma for "Charlie Wilson's War" eh?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:38:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By tyman:

I thought some of the acting was good, some not so much. The translation may not have helped.

I like to watch Das Boot in German, with subtitles, but I can't do that when the kids are watching, they hate that. So far I've watched 9th Company only with subtitles, not even sure if I have any options.

I actually bought 9th Company not knowing anything about it except what was on the cover––it was my first Blue Ray.

I downloaded it.....glad I didn't pay for it...wasn't that good. Boobies were nice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:39:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:43:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 11:44:37 AM EST by TheGrandIllusion]
Originally Posted By TimJ:

Seems like the Soviets knew something that we didn't at the time and we paid dearly for it in 2001. Karma for "Charlie Wilson's War" eh?

That's fucking retarded. The Soviet invasion was fucking brutal, and they were communist cock suckers.....

We fucked that up by walking away when the Soviets pulled out. We could have, SHOULD have gone in their with at least as much as we spent on weapons and helped them rebuild. Most of them frigging loved us at that point. Washing our hands of that country was a huge mistake and left a vacuum that the Taliban filled.* It was also a grave disservice to the people of Afghanistan, who we just washed out hands of.

*Please note I am not a troofer, nor do I believe that we "deserved" 9/11.

If we're going to talk "fucking brutal" then let's talk about the CIA activities in South America. Rape/Torture camps anyone? Mining the waters around Nicaragua?

We had no business interfering with the Soviet activity in Afghanistan.

Link
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:52:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 11:57:13 AM EST by TimJ]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:14:37 PM EST
I enjoyed it subtitles and all.

Given the direction this thread is heading, that's all I need add.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:17:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 12:19:58 PM EST by Fatbert]
Good movie. Lots of dying for the motherland in the last hour.

If we're going to talk "fucking brutal" then let's talk about the CIA activities in South America. Rape/Torture camps anyone? Mining the waters around Nicaragua?

Link

Let me guess - you get your news from Russia Today.

ETA: And you bet your ass that the CIA mined the harbor in Managua. They even had go fast boats with 25mm Bushmasters running around and shooting up Sandanista supply ships. The Cold War was dirty, but it's a hell of a lot better than having Soviet bombers in Central America.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:20:02 PM EST
Netflix has the DVD.

I liked it....kind of goofy at times but i suppose it's to be expected that some things just don't translate across cultures.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:22:59 PM EST

I was referring to people I've personally watched it with.

I could have sworn you were talking about me.

The Soviets were trying to control A'stan. They were not fighting terrorism or Islamic radicalism, even though the movie tries to imply that.

We were right to supply Stingers to the Afgan resistance. One of which took down plane in the movie . . .
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:26:30 PM EST

Bull. The Sandistas were brutal, Castro and Che were brutal, Hugo Chavez is brutal. In the '80s the Soviets sponsered terrorism in Central America, and plunged the region into war.

Sure we did. We had buisness interfering with them everywhere.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:29:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By Fatbert:
ETA: And you bet your ass that the CIA mined the harbor in Managua. They even had go fast boats with 25mm Bushmasters running around and shooting up Sandanista supply ships. The Cold War was dirty, but it's a hell of a lot better than having Soviet bombers in Central America.

Whenever you get involved in some place like Afganistan or Central America, it's gonna be dirty.

But we had to stop communism. Kudos for Reagan and the invasion of Granada.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:32:09 PM EST
When they call the mining the waters of Nicaragua as "brutal", I'm usually sure they are a total moonbat.

I'm not saying that any of that applies to you, of course, but that's what I normally think, right off the bat.

Off to find the "ignore" button.

I recall the 80s very well, and how the left went insane over Reagan fighting communism everywhere, particularly Central America.

DonS, sorry for the thread hijack.

I was mostly just trying to introduce more people to the movie. But if we end up arguing politics, that's good to.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:38:51 PM EST
I saw it.............

Forgetable.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:55:38 PM EST

Hill 3234

Anyone who has been there know where it's at? The Wiki leads me to believe it is near the KG pass.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:13:14 PM EST
Good movie.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:25:59 PM EST
I enjoyed it. Very non-Hollywood. The whole structure of it was different––at least it seemed that way to me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:45:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By StraightSix:
I enjoyed it. Very non-Hollywood. The whole structure of it was different––at least it seemed that way to me.

I thought it was rather Hollywood compared to other foreign films. More action, faster paced than most foreign films. At least, based upon my sampling of foreign films, I have no idea what Bollywoood puts out . . .
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:48:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By elcope:

I watched it in a dozen or so ten minute blocks over the course of two days at work.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:49:36 PM EST
Good Stuff
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:24:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By FDC:

Just for the absolute hell of it,I'm trying to find a decent topographic map of Khost province. The battle was ~30km east of Gardez on the K-G road so the general neighborhood of:

A good map should be able to find it but a couple minutes on Google didn't come up with anything quite good enough.

As an aside,the Afghanis tore up the asphalt to sell in Pakistan so we've spent $100 million rebuilding it.

a Romanian security contractor stands guard at a section of the road from Khost to Gardez. Photo: Paul McGeough

Hill 3234

Anyone who has been there know where it's at? The Wiki leads me to believe it is near the KG pass.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:49:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/15/2011 3:30:00 AM EST by FDC]
Originally Posted By FDC:

Just for the absolute hell of it,I'm trying to find a decent topographic map of Khost province. The battle was ~30km east of Gardez on the K-G road so the general neighborhood of:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/kabul_tpc92.jpg

A good map should be able to find it but a couple minutes on Google didn't come up with anything quite good enough.

As an aside,the Afghanis tore up the asphalt to sell in Pakistan so we've spent $100 million rebuilding it.

http://images.smh.com.au/2009/09/26/754914/kgpasscrop-420x0.jpg

http://images.smh.com.au/2009/09/26/755868/talibancrop-420x0.jpg
a Romanian security contractor stands guard at a section of the road from Khost to Gardez. Photo: Paul McGeough

Hill 3234

Yeah, I've taken a couple rides down that road, and spent about a month or so at Wilderness(towards the East side of the pass). That Romanian contractor is likely working for LBG and it looks like he is near the "switchbacks" on the bottom pic. 30KMs East of Gardez along the KG road would put it near Deysie or Wild(maybe not that far).

FWIW––-they'll still be paving that road when we're all dead and gone.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:07:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By StraightSix:

The structure seemed a lot like Full Metal Jacket or Hearbreak Ridge.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:57:39 AM EST
if 3224 is in meters then at 9600 feet+ it must be in that small red strip on the map. The areas of the 8000 and 7000 foot contour lines are too low for it to be there.

Ive driven past it a few times. Whole lot of mountain ranges there, obviously––that could be one of quite a few hills. Probably right off of the road if it was a platoon OP,

The road NW of Gardez, between it and Altamur, has some crazy drop offs. That was actually a scarier peice of terrain.
Top Top