Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 12:11:32 PM EDT
That's what the DD214 listed as length of service when I got it this afternoon.  It was a strange feeling walking away from what I have spent basically my entire adult life doing. One chapter closed and another one begins.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

That's what the DD214 listed as length of service when I got it this afternoon. It was a strange feeling walking away from what I have spent basically my entire adult life doing. One chapter closed and another one begins.

So why did you walk away with that amount of time in?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck and thank you for your service.

I got out the first time with 7 years, 8 months, and 15 days in.  The time was right, and there were some things I needed to work out in my life.  I don't regret leaving, but seeing as how I went back in I wish I had gone back in earlier.

OP, thank you again for your service.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
For me personally, the enjoyment I got out of what I was doing had become outweighed by the headaches that came with it.  I'm in a spot where I can change career paths and get into something that really works for me where if I waited any longer those options likely wouldn't be there.  

Long story short, it was time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you completely walking away or thinking about the reserve? I've had more fun in the reserve than I ever did active.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
No reserves; they would have taken a toll on the new career so I made a clean break.

ETA: the reserve opportunities in my MOS are not terribly exciting for the most part.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

No reserves; they would have taken a toll on the new career so I made a clean break.

ETA: the reserve opportunities in my MOS are not terribly exciting for the most part.

Understand, I also had a break in service, then decided to go back. Retirement and benifits.

Just wasn't willing to throw that time away.

As for Reserve opportunities, I think you may be surprised at the flexibility of the units.

Not sure of rank, but if you are a SSG or above, your "Will Train" opportunities are out there if want to change MOSs.

Just contact the unit, meet with 1SG/SGM/CSM, explain what looking for and situation. see if can't come to an agreement.

Atleast be able to stay in to get 20 yr letter, of course won't matter until age 60. but still a little extra.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top