Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2006 5:08:35 AM EDT
www.wral.com/news/8001292/detail.html

EUREKA SPRINGS, N.C. -- An armed intruder confronted with a pregnant Cumberland County mother Tuesday afternoon, allegedly trying to rob her home. The incident ended in a shootout that left the invader dead.

Detectives say 23-year-old Crystal Strickland -- 9 months pregnant and mother of two small children -- acted in self defense

"He broke into the apartment, she ran into the back bedroom where there were some children in the apartment to defend them, and when he entered into the bedroom area, shots were fired,” said Debbie Tanner with the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office.

Strickland told authorities she did not know the armed man. Her two young girls were taking a nap when the violent encounter happened. The 3-year-old said she wasn't scared.

"I didn't get hurt," she said.

Residents in the area said they have noticed a pattern of break-ins -- five in the last month, and most occurring in broad daylight.

"My house got robbed, the side door got kicked in,” said neighbor Shawn Kilbourne. “They took some small things, including a pistol."

Kilbourne suspects the recent break-ins are related. He said if an armed man busted through his family's door, he would do the same thing his neighbor did.

Investigators are still trying to determine the identity of the home intruder. Detectives say while the case is still under investigation, all indications are right now that it was a case of justifiable homicide.

Reporter: Jason Stoogenke and Paul LaGrone
Photographer: Michael Joyner and Bobbie Eng
Web Editor: Kelly Gardner and Dana Franks
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Good for her, but bad that she should even have been in that position.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Good shooting mom!

Another one bites the dust!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:15:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:15:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Shoot the intruder, for the children!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't fault the mother in this case and thankfully she was prepared and trained to protect herself and her family!  I have a new website that I am trying to find the time to get started on this topic and I will repost this article there....

www.home-invasion.com/

My brother suffered a home invasion and it happens fast...  The best and only defense is to be prepared!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#6]
ALL RIGHT!

Moved to her safe room.....
Armed and Orange.....

Boom! End of story and bad guy.

Hope she used something like an 870 with 7 1/2 shot in the house.

You go girl!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
You GO Girl!  Well done!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#8]
 Way to GO MOM!

You'd think the NOW people would be all over this "Seemingly helpless Preggo Mom courageous defends her life, her baby's life [featus], and her young children against evil male intruders"
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#9]
sweet, I hope he didnt stain the carpet too bad
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't tell Sarah, she'll have her arrested for endangering her children from the powder fumes or some shit.

It's for the Children!

Good shootin Ma'am!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:34:44 AM EDT
[#11]
That lady has a lot of guts.  The kind of person who'd break into your home when they know you're there need to be dealt with sharply.  I'm glad she and her children are safe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
A gun in a home is more likely to kill it's owner and my God, a gun where there are children? What about the Youh Handgun Safety Act? By Federal Law, she must have that handgun secured, if the children have easy access, she can be charged with a federal crime. Did she have a trigger lock on it? Was it in a safe? Why aren't they charging her with a crime?

The guy probably justy needed money for food, he was someone's son or father.  Someone loved him, how will their lives be changed?

Speaking sarcastically on behalf of the VPC of course.

Damn good shooting!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
LIBERAL RESPONSE:

Fetus traumatized by mother's violent actions.  Will grow up knowing that he/she was an accomplice to a murder of a man just trying to get by in this evil world, ruled by white men.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
LIBERAL RESPONSE:

Fetus traumatized by mother's violent actions.  Will grow up knowing that he/she was an accomplice to a murder of a man just trying to get by in this evil world, ruled by white men.

LIBERAL RESPONSE:

She was taken over by the Shrub and Halliburton mind control machine. They are so against her right to choose, he was only there to help her out. Now she has been forced by them to carry to full term. Its all George Bushs fault!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:43:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Way to go. Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Good job, Mom..you go, girl!

HH
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Awesome.  Don't mess with a gun savvy mother.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

allegedly trying to rob her home.

PRobably wasn't there for afternoon tea.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Outfvckingstanding!!!

Did anyone forward that link to the Brady Bunch?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Its all George Bushs fault!

That is so true - Bush let the AWB expire, Bush has done nothing to provide funding to those that want it, Bush has done nothing to legislate guns in the homes with children, Bush, Bush, BUSH!!! It is ALL BUSH'S FAULT!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Betting the gun the intruder had is the one that disappeared from the other recently robbed home.

We should buy her a year's supply of diapers or something!!  And some more ammo.

Good job!

ETA: Also betting their rash of break-ins just came to an end.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Way to go.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:26:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree, they might notice a decline in the burglaries in that area for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:26:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Awesome.  Don't mess with a pregnant woman. Hormones can be a bitch.

Fixed it!
Way to go!!!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ALL RIGHT!

Moved to her safe room.....
Armed and Orange.....

Boom! End of story and bad guy.

You go girl!!

Now you've done it.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Man Killed While Allegedly Breaking Into Home Identified

POSTED: 9:57 am EST March 15, 2006
UPDATED: 10:09 am EST March 15, 2006

EUREKA SPRINGS, N.C. -- Authorities released the identity of a man who they say was shot while breaking into the house of a pregnant mother near Fayetteville Tuesday.

Louis Deon McMillian of 822 Whitfield Street, Fayetteville, died after police said he tried to force his way into the home of Crystal Strickland, 23, in Eureka Springs.

Strickland told investigators she was watching television in the living room of her home when she heard a noise coming from the kitchen.

Strickland saw a shadow of a man and went to get her gun for protection.

The suspect then went to the front of the home and kicked in the door. McMillian pointed a gun at Strickland and shots were exchanged.

Strickland, who is 9 months pregnant and mother of two small children, told authorities she did not know the armed man. Her two young girls were taking a nap when the violent encounter happened.

Detectives say that the case is still under investigation and that when it is complete it will be turned over the district attorney who decide whether to file charges against Strickland.

Linky

ETA: There's a mugshot in the link - guy looks like a real sweetheart.  I'm sure it was because of a mediocre childhood that he was forced into this lifestyle..

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:41:19 AM EDT
[#27]
The fetus will wonder "what load did mom use? Did the projectile retain its mass and expand properly?"
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the update Gus!

Gee, I wonder why they have such a good picture of the BG?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#29]
It's so strange to read news from REAL America without the spin or editorial to tell me how I should feel about the news.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Awesome.  Don't mess with a gun savvy mother.

ETA: bigger pic.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#31]
She really did do good. A woman alone in the house with small children, who knows what else he'd have done apart from robbing them. He probably targeted that house thinking that he was entering a property where the resident would be vulnerable.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It's so strange to read news from REAL America without the spin or editorial to tell me how I should feel about the news.

just the facts, just the facts

The community is the location of Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base.  The news is reported out of Raleigh, about 60 miles to the north.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

There always has to be one fucking retard that screws up a good thread.

If she'd done something that stupid, she'd probably be dead right now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

EUREKA SPRINGS, N.C. -- An armed intruder confronted with a pregnant Cumberland County mother Tuesday afternoon, allegedly trying to rob her home. The incident ended in a shootout that left the invader dead.

Detectives say 23-year-old Crystal Strickland -- 9 months pregnant and mother of two small children -- acted in self defense

"He broke into the apartment, she ran into the back bedroom where there were some children in the apartment to defend them, and when he entered into the bedroom area, shots were fired,” said Debbie Tanner with the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office.

Strickland told authorities she did not know the armed man. Her two young girls were taking a nap when the violent encounter happened. The 3-year-old said she wasn't scared.

Residents in the area said they have noticed a pattern of break-ins -- five in the last month, and most occurring in broad daylight.

"My house got robbed, the side door got kicked in,” said neighbor Shawn Kilbourne. “They took some small things, including a pistol."

Kilbourne suspects the recent break-ins are related. He said if an armed man busted through his family's door, he would do the same thing his neighbor did.

Investigators are still trying to determine the identity of the home intruder. Detectives say while the case is still under investigation, all indications are right now that it was a case of justifiable homicide.

Just curious here but why did you intentionally change the last part of the last paragraph ?

Investigators are still trying to determine the identity of the home intruder. Detectives say that the case is still under investigation and that when it is complete it will be turned over the district attorney who decide whether to file charges.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#36]

I live 3 miles from there.  

Killing the guy is the least she could do while laying around the house all day and "raising" babies on someone elses dime.

-HS
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Killing the guy is the least she could do while laying around the house all day and "raising" babies on someone elses dime.

-HS

And you know this how?
Is she your old lady LOL

Well if she is on the public dime at least she used the money wisely and bought a gun and then practiced some huh?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:44:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

EUREKA SPRINGS, N.C. -- Authorities released the identity of a man who they say was shot while breaking into the house of a pregnant mother near Fayetteville Tuesday.

Louis Deon McMillian of 822 Whitfield Street, Fayetteville, died after police said he tried to force his way into the home of Crystal Strickland, 23, in Eureka Springs.

Strickland told investigators she was watching television in the living room of her home when she heard a noise coming from the kitchen.

The suspect then went to the front of the home and kicked in the door. McMillian pointed a gun at Strickland and shots were exchanged.
Strickland, who is 9 months pregnant and mother of two small children, told authorities she did not know the armed man. Her two young girls were taking a nap when the violent encounter happened.

Detectives say that the case is still under investigation and that when it is complete it will be turned over the district attorney who decide whether to file charges against Strickland.

Linky

The part I highlighted stated, "shots were exchanged" Gee some dirtbag comes into your house with a gun & you exchange lead with them & It has to go the DA to "decide" Sounds like a no brainer from the info provided.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-HS

And you know this how?
Is she your old lady LOL

Well if she is on the public dime at least she used the money wisely and bought a gun and then practiced some huh?

I do sat installs in this area...wouldn't surprise me if her weapon comes up as stolen.  I bet this is the first time she's used the gun ever, and it's probably a gun one of her Baby- daddy's left behind.

this area is 3rd world....

sounds like a good clean shoot though....and one less thug on the dole or robbing people.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-HS

And you know this how?
Is she your old lady LOL

I do sat installs in this area...wouldn't surprise me if her weapon comes up as stolen.  I bet this is the first time she's used the gun ever, and it's probably a gun one of her Baby- daddy's left behind.

this area is 3rd world....

sounds like a good clean shoot though....and one less thug on the dole or robbing people.

Careful there HBS, your white robe and hood are showing LOL
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Mom, kids, and the husband are going to need some real family time...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious here but why did you intentionally change the last part of the last paragraph ?

Investigators are still trying to determine the identity of the home intruder. Detectives say that the case is still under investigation and that when it is complete it will be turned over the district attorney who decide whether to file charges.

Interesting.  That was an exact cut and paste of the story when I posted it.  The story was edited afterwards.  
WRAL STORY
POSTED: 5:13 pm EST March 14, 2006
UPDATED: 10:08 am EST March 15, 2006

my post 9:08:35 AM EST

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#43]
WOW! Good Job! 2 kids another one on the way a Home Invasion Boom your Dead F*cker! Well Done
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  That was an exact cut and paste of the story when I posted it.  The story was edited afterwards.  
WRAL STORY
POSTED: 5:13 pm EST March 14, 2006
UPDATED: 10:08 am EST March 15, 2006

my post 9:08:35 AM EST

Thanks for replying, after I posted the question to you I thought they may have changed the wording themselves.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Linky

The part I highlighted stated, "shots were exchanged" Gee some dirtbag comes into your house with a gun & you exchange lead with them & It has to go the DA to "decide" Sounds like a no brainer from the info provided.

The local paper  has it written up slightly differently:

The man ran around the corner of the brick duplex to the front door and peered in through the glass slats. He began trying to kick the door in.

“She told him she had a gun, and he said he had one, too,” Tanna said.

Strickland, 23, ran down the hall and into a bedroom, Tanna said.

“They exchanged gunfire,” Tanna said.

The man was shot at least once in the chest. Strickland was not hurt, Tanna said.

Either way, I cant see the DA pursuing this further.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#46]

You just got to love law enforcement.  She's got enough to worry about with a baby on the way without also having to worry about being arrested and having her children taken from her and having to deliver while in jail.z
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#47]
sounds like the ghetto, 2 kids one in the chamber no dad around...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
sounds like the ghetto, 2 kids one in the chamber no dad around...

which happened about 2:15 p.m. at 6098 Charles Ave.

Dad might have a job.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Good for Mom!

It's pretty funny that we have to celebrate the most normal and common occurance of the natural world.

From Voles to Bears to Killer Wales:  Don't get between a mom and her offspring.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I just love happy endings.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top