Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2011 5:46:19 PM EDT
My folks aquired a 95 or so Ranger, 6cyl auto.  The transmission likes to down shift itself for absolutely no reason.  It's been in a local shop but they cannot seem to get anywhere with it.  
The shop pulled the trans and went through it but it had no impact.  They replaced I think the MAP sensor and I replaced the TPS.  

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

My folks aquired a 95 or so Ranger, 6cyl auto.  The transmission likes to down shift itself for absolutely no reason.  It's been in a local shop but they cannot seem to get anywhere with it.  

The shop pulled the trans and went through it but it had no impact.  They replaced I think the MAP sensor and I replaced the TPS.  

Thoughts?

First one that came to mind is "They dropped the transmission?"  I hope you mean the pan and looked for metal particles, replaced the filter and filled it up with clean fluid instead.

Second thing is, when does this happen?  At freeway speeds, driving around under 25...?  Could be a faulty kickdown switch (or how ever it is run on that vehicle), could also be reading the load of the vehicle wrong as well.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The truck was having the problem, the transmission was removed and gone through replacing the usual warn parts.

Afterwards the truck did the same thing.  The pan was pulled and more was done, however I don't know precisely what was done.

A few trips later and a few electronic parts it still has the same issue.   They largely grew tired of putting money in it and I borrowed it for a bit.

Speed isn't apparently an issue, it has done it from 20 mph to 75 mph.  Not only is it
odd, its random.   May not do it for days, then do it several items times in a few miles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
CHECK FOR DIRTY LOOSE GROUNDS AND DAMAGE TO THE SHIFTER CABLE
AFTER THAT THE CAR MUST BE SCANNED TO DETERMINE IF THERE IS ANY COMPUTER ERRORS AND THEN ENGINE PERFORMANCE ISSUE'S
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top