Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 8:00:24 PM EDT
I'm looking to replace the headunit in my 1995 GT and just checking up on everyone else's experiences with the Mach 460 Sound System. I've heard a variety of things, I believe I'll have to bypass the Ford Amps and just drive everything from the headunit. Not too sure.

I tried looking around around the net and every site seemed to be vague and everyone had conflicting opinions and ideas and no one cared to explain. I'm just looking to tap into the hive mind here.

Edit: EladEflow here again, Sniper_Wolfe never signs out
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I did it on mine but it was years ago. IIRC I ran a line output converter off the head unit or I might have run it right off the back speakers. I wish I could be more help but it was like 6 years ago. I do remember that after about a week I got rid of the stock head unit and drove all the stock speakers with a new head unit and then used two sub amps for my 2 10's. I would recommend just getting rid of the stock head unit and the Ford amps all together. You can get a decent Pioneer or Alpine head unit for like $150. Just running off the head unit the stock speakers sounded worlds better.

*edit* Crap I need to read the post. I thought you wanted to runs subs for some wacky reason. As for just changing the head unit yes you just run it all off the new HU and bypass the Ford amps. I had a 50w per channel Sony and it sounded great even though I hate Sony. Go Pioneer or Alpine or if you want even better sound quality but for more $ Eclipse or Nakayama.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]

My younger brother used to have one in his mustang cobra, the same unit, Mach460, are these the ones with the rear speakers and the amps directly below 'em?

BTW: If I recall correctly, your car is the last of the 5.0 motor?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm looking to replace the headunit in my 1995 GT and just checking up on everyone else's experiences with the Mach 460 Sound System. I've heard a variety of things, I believe I'll have to bypass the Ford Amps and just drive everything from the headunit. Not too sure.

I tried looking around around the net and every site seemed to be vague and everyone had conflicting opinions and ideas and no one cared to explain. I'm just looking to tap into the hive mind here.

Edit: EladEflow here again, Sniper_Wolfe never signs out hr

I have an 01 DHG Bullitt, I changed the head unit to an Alpine CDA-9833 and used the factory wiring. I went through the wiring schematics for two days until I found a way to use Fords set up. Thing is you MUST have a head unit with subwoofer pre-outs. i.e. 3 total sets of RCA outs  Front r&l  Rear r&l AND Subs.  If you have this set up, I can go to my notes and give you some more info on this.  Funny thing is, I swapped the head unit back out to the original CD6 unit last week. It being a Bullitt, the Alpine just never looked right in the dash. I'm trying not to go overboard and do too much aftermarket on this car.  I do have a Roush Stage 3 that an Alpine looks great in. I just couldn't bring myself to keep a "possible collector" not as close to original as possible.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My younger brother used to have one in his mustang cobra, the same unit, Mach460, are these the ones with the rear speakers and the amps directly below 'em?

Correct

$2.69 a gallon is killing me though.

On make of the head unit I'm still bouncing back and forth between the Alpine and the Kenwood. Has anyone purchased head units off of Ebay? I've heard Alpine isn't honoring warrantys unless dealer receipts are presented.

I'd appreciate that Rob if you had anything specific I should look for. Sounds good, I was worried that I was just going to have to stick with the 460 head unit with just a tape player , although the tape converter for my Ipod sounds better than any FM transmitter I've heard, including the Monster brand,

I'll probably just run the Ipod in using RCA hookups into the Aux port on the back of the head unit until I save up enough money for the Ipod controller for whatever head unit I finally decide on.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Again posted by EladEflow  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:57:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump for the day group.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I had both a 94 and a 96 with the 460 set up.  Crutchfield had an adapter that would get you where you want to go.  My understanding was it would drop the signal back down to line level so the amps in the back would work.  

www.crutchfield.com
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh sorry, wrong thread. I was looking for one about real cars. My bad.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

On make of the head unit I'm still bouncing back and forth between the Alpine and the Kenwood. Has anyone purchased head units off of Ebay? I've heard Alpine isn't honoring warrantys unless dealer receipts are presented.

I bought a used Kenwood head unit off ebay 2 months ago. The girl who sold it misspelled "Kennwood" and I picked up a 1yr. old unit, MSRP $260, for $35.

Great unit, no skipping of CD's, reads all my MP3's perfect. good sound.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hr

Correct hat, although the tape converter for my Ipod sounds better than any FM transmitter I've heard, including the Monster brand,

I'll probably just run the Ipod in using RCA hookups into the Aux port on the back of the head unit until I save up enough money for the Ipod controller for whatever head unit I finally decide on.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Again posted by EladEflow   hr

If you decide to go Alpine, look at the CDA-9833 It may not be the exact one you want, but I got it because of the features. ipod ready, idrive ready, xm/sirrius ready mp3/wma  etc... you get the idea.  Thing is if you want to use your factory subs you WILL need a third rca output for subs only. you have 8 speakers in that setup, but you only operate off of 6 channels being as your factory amps/subs are run front mono and rear mono. If you choose not to use factory amps, then you will have to run your own wires and amp set (which if you're going to make it permanant that may be the way to go).  Let me know what head unit you get. email me or im me and I'll help tell you how to set it up.

Rob
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh sorry, wrong thread. I was looking for one about real cars. My bad.h.gif

hock.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top