Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2012 3:40:38 PM EDT
I have a 3800 that my buddy bought and it would not start and I am helping out on but I am a little stumped.

I have spark, have fuel, injectors are firing, and have compression timing marks line up. what am I missing here?

all the plug wires are going to the  right places.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
How much fuel pressure?? have u checked spark on multiple plugs?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
35lbs of fuel pressuse and will not start with ether, I have spark out of all three coils.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
are the injectors spraying fuel ? all data say's you need 41 to 47 psi for the fuel pressure.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a thing called a Plethora on top of the engine that is a known trouble maker ask the guys at the buick shop about it.  Not sure I got it spelled right but its the suspect.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There is a thing called a Plethora on top of the engine that is a known trouble maker ask the guys at the buick shop about it.  Not sure I got it spelled right but its the suspect.

You talking about the plenum?  If it has the plastic upper intake manifold, the heat from the EGR eats away at the water jacket eventually causing coolant to enter the intake and cylinders.  In the early stages, you get symptoms like you described.  DO NOT KEEP CRANKING IT because fluid won't compress but piston rods can bend when water enters the cylinders..FYI.  Some of the 3800 intakes are aluminum and some are polymer, pretty easy to check.  Its an easy 3 hour driveway job to replace, but shops want over $1k to do it...

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep I am stumped, everything I can think of is good, fuel is there, spark is there, timing is there.  I am ready to trow an ICM at this thing just for shits and grins.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Crank angle sensor or Cam angle sensor

Does the 2003 GM's have the passkey or passlock system?

I had a 1996 Bonneville 3800 Series II that gave me fits...had the same issues as you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#8]
had same car same year same problem went and replaced everything ended up being the ECM, found this out after we put a scanner on it and it wouldnt connect to anything.This could be your issue othewise check all your grounds and wiring to make sure nothing broke loose or rotted away
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
are the injectors spraying fuel ? all data say's you need 41 to 47 psi for the fuel pressure.

Think you need to recheck this.
if all data says 41 to 47 and you are getting 35 psi, you are not getting fuel.

you can prove it to yourself without pulling an injector by spraying in engine start.
it will run for a little bit then die.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I tried a brand new ECM and ICM and still no luck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#11]
what about fuel pump?
again, just cause you see injectors getting signal, does not mean fuel is shooting out of them.
if the pressure is too low, nothing comes out of the injector.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top