Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 9:07:08 PM EDT
Does anyone else with an early 90's Blazer or Chevy pick up have problems with the U joint going out all the time?  Mine goes out about every 30-40,000 miles, and its done this since it was new.  I've heard of other Chevys having the U joint go out, but not this often. Its not an expensive repair, but after 212,000 miles its gettin old.  I was thinking maybe something isn't aligned just right or an angle isn't right with the drive shaft or something, I really have no idea. Its not lifted or anything, completely stock.  Just wondering if any others are having this problem.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone else with an early 90's Blazer or Chevy pick up have problems with the U joint going out all the time?  Mine goes out about every 30-40,000 miles, and its done this since it was new.  I've heard of other Chevys having the U joint go out, but not this often. Its not an expensive repair, but after 212,000 miles its gettin old.  I was thinking maybe something isn't aligned just right or an angle isn't right with the drive shaft or something, I really have no idea. Its not lifted or anything, completely stock.  Just wondering if any others are having this problem.  

Camel,

I had a 95 silverado that I couldn't keep the U-Joint in either.  My problem didn't start until after I lowered the rear end by putting on after market shackles, and removing the overload springs.  It only dropped it about two inches, just enough to level out with the front end, but I had to replace the U-Joint about every 25,000 miles after that.

I wonder if any modifications have been made to the height on your rig?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
neocon hit it.........mess with the geometry.....it'll mess with you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Your problem is it's a GM product.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not necessarily true......I have a regular customer with a Toyota 4x4 ...lifted with oversized tires....it throws u-joints on the average of once a year.....told him what causes it, but I guess he considers that the price of having a "cool" ride....btw, just did a Dodge Ram [lifted] He not only threw his rear u-joint, he took out the pinion and bearings in the process.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
So will having a lifted truck about 4 or 6 inchs with bigger tires Throw your U joint out every year or 2 or is it just a hit and a miss?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
+1
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So will having a lifted truck about 4 or 6 inchs with bigger tires Throw your U joint out every year or 2 or is it just a hit and a miss?

to be honest...I really don't know if all lifted trucks do it......but there is usually an alignment problem when it is done [between the output from the transfer case to the rear diff] too much of a difference in the angles will cause a problem in the weak points...ie: the u-joints.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:09:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nope, its been bone stock from day one. Thats why I don't understand why it does this.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Damn, the master fucking mechanic figured it out.  I knew someone here would know.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#10]
try a heavy duty joint?..It does sound like an alignment problem to me though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, its been bone stock from day one. Thats why I don't understand why it does this.

I'd place money on either broken spring perches or loose spring shackles, allowing the axle to twist in the shackles as torque is applied. BTDT, although mine was on my '72 Blazer with a later model axle under leaf springs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Lifting or, god forbid, lowering your truck alters the pinion angle.  

Depending ont he severity of the driveline misalignment, it can cause major ujoint wear.

I ended up getting an 8 degree wedge for my lifted truck to correct a driveline angle problem, but mien is also lifted 6 inches with a shackle flip.

Ujoint are cheap and easy to replace.  I would recommend SPICER brand ujoint, the ungreasable kind.  The grase zerk on the greasable kind is a stress point.

I also upgrades my ujoint size to 1350s (from 1310s) but that is not something a regular vehicle should entertain doing.  I kind of wish I went with 1410s now, but oh well.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you running the truck empty or loaded most of the time?

Towing a trailer?

Heavy loading and trailer towing will shorten u-joint life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top