Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:00:08 PM EDT
August 31, 2005

Patrick wing to help
hurricane relief effort

By Michelle Tan
Times staff writer

About 50 members of the 920th Rescue Wing flew to Jackson, Miss., Aug. 30 to help with rescue efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

The airmen deployed from Patrick Air Force Base, Fla., aboard three HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopters and a HC-130 refueling aircraft, said Capt. Wade Arnold, the unit’s chief of public affairs.

The rescue mission is estimated to last about a week, he said. The airmen will help federal authorities as needed, he said.

“The benefit of our helicopters … is that our helicopters can refuel, so they have the capability to stay airborne much longer and to help more people,” Arnold said.

Col. Timothy E. Tarchick, commander of the 920th, said, “We train for this, we are ready … Everyone just wants to do their part, and it is fortunate we have the assets available to help.”

The 920th, which also has members deployed to Afghanistan, is the only Reserve rescue wing in the U.S., Arnold said. Its primary mission is combat rescue, but the 920th also supports NASA launches and humanitarian calls for help, Arnold said.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:15:42 PM EDT
Cool, my dad was the first CINC of what used to be 23d AF, including ARRS and AF SPECOPS.

I stayed at Patrick when I went down to watch STS#3, the third shuttle liftoff.

Those PJs are some tough mofos.
Top Top