Posted: 8/26/2005 3:53:49 AM EDT
Has it really been 15 years?

RIP Stevie Ray Vaughn

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:05:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Taken from us too soon...  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember it well. It's hard to believe it's been that long.

He's the only one who I thought should even attempt to cover any of Hendrix's stuff, and he did it well. Jimi Hendrix died much too young, and so did Stevie. A sad bit of irony.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Has it really been 15 years?

RIP Stevie Ray Vaughn

DAYUM!!!

I was sitting in a patrol car, having lunch at a Sonic Drive In, when I heard the news on the radio station. I swear, I sat there crying like a baby...

RIP-SRV, I guess sometimes even God gets the blues.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#4]
My ex was in the music biz and I used to be backstage for alot of shows. SRV was playing and the fabulous thunderbirds were opening. SRV played the lead in that song " tough enough" by the thunderbirds but he did not go out on stage. He sat next to me backstage and played it there. Guess he didn't want to upstage his brothers band.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember this too, it was one of the first days of my senior year in high school.  Summer ending, starting senior year, and this was a sad day.  Always been a favorite of mine.

RIP Stevie.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, I was aboard the U.S.S. Ogden with my unit when I heard the news. I was like ,AWWWWWCRAP!!!! Then I went to my friends who also liked SRV and we listened to him on our tape players. We sort of had a day of mourning for him out in the middle of the Pacific.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Stevie was something else. From another planet entirely. I most admired the fact that when he was onstage playing, he ALWAYS put his entire being into every note he played. I admire that immensely. Half the time I am onstage, I'm half asleep (playing the same boring songs over and over again). I only feel alive when it comes time to play leads. Stevie had to be just worn-out after every show. I still pull-out the two Live in Austin DVD's and Live at the El Mocambo. Good stuff and one of the top 3 rock/blues players of all-time in my book. I was always more of a Stevie guy than a Hendrix guy. RIP Stevie...

P.S. If you ever get a chance, check this guy out live. He has an SRV tribute act that kills. They tour all over the US and Scandanavia with it. I used to watch his band play locally up here in Montana when I went to college. He is originally from my neck of the woods. A great player and a great guy...

http://www.chrishiatt.com/

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#9]
heard the news at work.............just sat there stunned.

The Eric Clapton concert was the next night and rumor had it that Robert Cray and S.R.V. were to play in St Louis with Clapton before heading to Chocago for the Blues fest.

well i had seen Clapton a few times before and it was always a "SHOW" lights,lasers all that,but they were not sure if Clapton was gonna cancel.

well he played but it was diffrent he walked out in ripped up jeans boots and a t-shirt not the Armani suit and all just walked up to the microphone and said "You heard what happened last night tonight it's about the music"    even his band wasn't sure what was going on and the sound of 40,000 people not making a sound was surreal.

well by the end of the night everyone was drained the emotion and the music was amazing several times during solo's the band would just stand back in awe, at the end he just said "Good night" and walked off.

it was just amazing.

R.I.P.  S.R.V.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Funny you should post that. I have been listening to a public station here in Louisiana that plays blues on Fridays. They have been doing a SRV tribute today. He really advanced modern blues in the 80's.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I just remembered he had 1 or 2 big hits and that was all.  Sad to see someone die but I dont feel a great void or anything.  Needless to say I didn't cry a tear over Serena (?) or TuPac
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#12]
It sucks I guess.

I never liked his music at all though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#13]
My favorite musician ever.  I forgot until you mentioned it that today was the day.  

Many are great, the likes of  Buddy Guy, Clapton, BB King, but none can equal SRV.  RIP.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#14]
We were doing a CAX at 29 Stumps
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow. I can't believe it's been that long. I got to see him in concert a couple of months before he died.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Taken from us too soon.

He's my second favorite guitarist...

I'll be listening to some SRV later...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
A little bad info this morning. Tomorrow is the actual date of his death but still.

For the fans.... a pretty neat site........lots of good info here. www.stevieray.com/
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I remember it well. It's hard to believe it's been that long.

He's the only one who I thought should even attempt to cover any of Hendrix's stuff, and he did it well. Jimi Hendrix died much too young, and so did Stevie. A sad bit of irony.

SRV couldn't understand people who criticized him for sounding too much like Hendrix.  "Man, that's the biggest compliment anyone could give me!"
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just remembered he had 1 or 2 big hits and that was all.  Sad to see someone die but I dont feel a great void or anything.  Needless to say I didn't cry a tear over Serena (?) or TuPac

Well, those two shouldn't even be mentioned in any thread that has anything to do with Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I was at the last show, but I was too damm drunk and passed out with this chick I picked up on the way to the show. I have regretted  missed and unable to remember much of the show.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't know who he was when he died (many 8th graders don't dig the blues), but while in collage I started getting into blues and now it is about the only type of music I like.  I wish I could have had the chance to see him play live.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Although fifteen years have past since we lost the great SRV it seems like only yesterday that I received that tragic phone call from my wife.  I had just arrived for work and the phone was already ringing as I entered my office.  I picked up the phone only to be greeted by the sound of my wife crying uncontrollably.  This had an immediate and overwhelming impact on me because we had been married 10 years and I had never heard or seen her cry!  My mind began to race with horrible thoughts of what could have upset her so badly as I frantically asked her what was wrong.  She was crying so hard she could not utter an intelligible word for a span of time that seemed like an eternity.  Just as I was beginning to freak out over the situation she said, "Baby, Stevie died and I don't know what to do."  I was absolutely floored and began to cry too.  We cried together and consoled each other for a few minutes until we both settled down, hung up the phone and began a long and sad work day.

We have all of his music and had the privilege of seeing SRV twice.  The second time just a week before his untimely death.  

Very few musicians pour their heart and soul into their music like SRV did.

Stevie, you may be gone but your spirit and your music lives forever my brother.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#23]
What sucks is I became a big fan of him post mortem. Wish I would have seen him in concert.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I was at DLI in Monterey to requalify my Russian proficiency.  One of the few events that I remember where I was when I heard the news.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top