Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/12/2003 8:04:44 AM EDT
I'm glad Tom Ridge and the Department of Homeland security are looking out for us! I feel much safer! From [url]http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030512/1011662.asp[/url] A 7-year-old boy from Niagara Falls, Ont., apparently rode his bike across the Whirlpool Bridge and entered the United States, undetected by U.S. Customs officials Saturday. Niagara Falls Police said Mitchel D. Hernder rode his bike about 81/2 miles, crossing the border and ending up at a busy intersection in Niagara Falls. The boy's parents and local police were among those questioning how the security breach could occur despite stepped-up border security in the aftermath of 9/11. U.S. Customs officials said Sunday that they were unsure how the mistake occurred. "What surprises me is that he crossed the border and got through without being caught," said Niagara Falls Police Lt. Salvatore Pino. "This child basically got through customs without being stopped by anybody." Mitchel, who is described as mildly autistic, was at his Menzie Street home in Niagara Falls, Ont., when he slipped away, entered the garage and rode away on his sister's bike. His parents noticed that he was missing and called Niagara Regional Police about 4:15 p.m. Dozens of officers, family members and neighbors then spent the next two hours scouring the area, knocking on doors, questioning neighbors and searching nearby playgrounds. Niagara Falls police said they suspect that the boy rode his bike to the Whirlpool Bridge, about 11/2 miles away from his home, and made his way across on either the deck for vehicle traffic or the deck with abandoned train tracks. "How can a kid walk across the border in these times of high security?" asked his father, Mark Hernder. "It blows me away how he made it that far. I guess someone wasn't watching the gate." The first-grader was finally tracked to Niagara Falls Boulevard near Walnut Avenue. A motorist noticed the boy standing in the middle of the busy intersection of the commercial strip and called police about 5:45 p.m. Niagara Falls police said they think that the boy rode his bike for most of his journey but dumped it in a creek at Hyde Park, about half a mile away from where police found him. Officer John Conti arrived at the scene and interviewed the boy, who told him his name and address. The boy was then taken to the police station, where he waited for his father to pick him up. Hernder said his son was the picture of calm during their reunion that evening. "If he didn't know his name or his address, I don't think we would have ever found him," Hernder said. "We would have never thought to look for him in America." Janet Rapaport, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Bureau of Customs & Border Protection, based in New York, said officials plan to investigate the incident further. "If he did come across the border, we didn't encounter him," Rapaport said. "None of our inspectors encountered the child. It's not uncommon for kids to be on bikes in the area. I'm not familiar with this particular bridge, but I was told there's a residential area nearby. . . . Our inspectors were doing their jobs - clearing traffic coming across the bridge." "Mistakes happen," Pino said. "I'm sure it was an unintentional mistake, and I'm sure that someone is looking into this to make sure it doesn't happen again." Niagara Regional Police Sgt. Jim Moody said he is glad that Mitchel is safe. "This little guy is fortunate he's OK," Moody said. "Anyone who has a young kid knows that a missing child is a pretty serious thing. We're just fortunate to have him back in good health."
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:12:33 AM EDT
when i was in canada, we were heading over to this little airport. the only thing that literally seperated the U.S. and Canada was a small ditch. We could just imagine one of the people across the ditch going over and barrowing some suger or milk or somthing. it is soooo easy getting in and out of that country.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:16:41 AM EDT
The fact remains that we have no way of sealing our borders without resembling Berlin during the Cold War....... and some people don't weant that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:16:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/12/2003 8:17:50 AM EDT by Searcherfortruth]
Now that's real tight work.[rolleyes] Glad were spending so much on security these days. I would hate to think a terrorist could just ride a bike across the border.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:23:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Zaphod: The fact remains that we have no way of sealing our borders without resembling Berlin during the Cold War....... and some people don't weant that.
View Quote
There's a important difference between the Berlin Wall and any kind of theoretical border fortifications at our borders: the Berlin Wall was erected to keep people, who had only very limited legal ways to leave, _in_ the country, and people have been killed trying to get _out_. Whereas a "wall" at our Southern border would be there to keep people _out_. People who have all kinds of legal ways to leave their home country, and many legal ways to come into the US as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:34:04 AM EDT
[b][blue][size=4]"Security" is false hope, feel-good show for the Masses[/b][/blue][/size=4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:51:23 AM EDT
You know, it's damned ironic. When customs stops and searches 8 year olds at the airport, all the civil libertarians start screaming "Damn Nazis!" But when a 7 year old boy is not stopped from pedalling his bike across the border everyone screams "See! Our security sucks!"
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:12:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Zaphod: and some people don't weant that.
View Quote
And by some people you mean those of us who don't believe that "If you want freedom, you have to give up your liberty", right?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:16:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By soylent_green:
Originally Posted By Zaphod: and some people don't weant that.
View Quote
And by some people you mean those of us who don't believe that "If you want freedom, you have to give up your liberty", right?
View Quote
I wouldn't feel any less free having machinegun towers, minefields and electrified fences along both borders. The people who wouldn't want that are Latino advocates, the governments of Canada and Mexico (whose feelings would be hurt) and all the terrorists in Canada who would now have to find new ways into America.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:50:51 AM EDT
You cant keep a determined terrorist down. I don't care how much security you have along that border, people will get across. If someone puts their mind to it they can do just about anything. Homeland security just takes my rights, and tax dollars.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:55:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Kar98:
Originally Posted By Zaphod: The fact remains that we have no way of sealing our borders without resembling Berlin during the Cold War....... and some people don't weant that.
View Quote
There's a important difference between the Berlin Wall and any kind of theoretical border fortifications at our borders: the Berlin Wall was erected to keep people, who had only very limited legal ways to leave, _in_ the country, and people have been killed trying to get _out_. Whereas a "wall" at our Southern border would be there to keep people _out_. People who have all kinds of legal ways to leave their home country, and many legal ways to come into the US as well.
View Quote
Yes, the Berlin Wall was built to keep people "IN." And the Chinese Wall was built to keep people "OUT." But humans are resourceful. Somebody always found a way through, around, over or under the "Wall." And our enemies are certainly resourceful.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:29:47 PM EDT
If it means stopping thousand of people who will never bother to leanrn english from walking or drifting into this country every day.... then I'll take the wall.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:50:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By war_man: If it means stopping thousand of people who will never bother to leanrn english from walking or drifting into this country every day.... then I'll take the wall.
View Quote
not to mention voting for democrats!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:59:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:04:59 PM EDT
Why do they call it a fuck up when they actually use common sense?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:20:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RikWriter: You know, it's damned ironic. When customs stops and searches 8 year olds at the airport, all the civil libertarians start screaming "Damn Nazis!" But when a 7 year old boy is not stopped from pedalling his bike across the border everyone screams "See! Our security sucks!"
View Quote
LOL Rik What the border guards should have done was just simply stop him and notify his parents. Stop and Search are two different things.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:29:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fruit_of_the_Looms: Yes, the Berlin Wall was built to keep people "IN." ... But humans are resourceful. Somebody always found a way through, around, over or under the "Wall."
View Quote
[wave] [img]http://www.usps.com/images/stamps/2000/wall.jpg[/img] Took me a while, but I got here as fast as I could.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:12:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 110: What the border guards should have done was just simply stop him and notify his parents. Stop and Search are two different things.
View Quote
Maybe they were too busy looking for terrorists. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:27:37 PM EDT
As killingmachine said, no matter how much security you put up, someone can analyze it and find a way through.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:38:20 PM EDT
I friend of mine went snowmobileing this winter and went from Drummond Island (U P of Michigan) to Canada across the ice. On the way back he loaded up with liquor. He noticed a sign stating all had to check with the "Station". Went there and all they had was a "Guest Book" to sign in. Nobody on duty. Bobwrench
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:15:38 PM EDT
I've never been over the whirlpool bridge my friend's mom works for either the INS or Customs, I can never remember which, at one of the buffalo area crossings I'll have to give her a hard time
Top Top