Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 1:13:37 PM EDT
So I have decided to quit smoking.  I have seen some threads on here about others doing it.

It has been 72 hrs and I am freaking out.  I am dying for one drag of a cool addidcting nicotine stick.  

How did you guys do it?  Was there any point that you thought you were gonna crack?  The hardest thing so far was driving.  I got in the truck and was reaching for one.  I thought coffee would be the hardest but driving is the worst without a smoke right now.

When does it begin getting easier?  The bad side of my brain says, come on, one drag will only help you through this.  The good side says, man, tough it out.  I would go shooting but I love having a smoke after shooting.  ARGH! Addiction sux, withdrawl sux.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Hang in there Defcon, I've made it for 21 years One month and 6 days and 7 hours and 12 minutes. It does get better, they tell me.

No shit, you can do it. Just translate that money into guns and ammo!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a little trick that could help you.  Prior to my quiting, I couldn't get a doctor to see me because they don't normally like to treat addictions.
Now that you've quit, all you have to do is say you feel miserable and they won't turn you away or try to send you to a clinic.
There are a ton of other treatments besisdes nicotine patches to help you quit.  I myself had such violent withdrawls I needed a mild sedative.

Other tips:
1. You can't have a smoke, but sugarfree gum or hard candy is ok.
2. We're creatures of habit.  You're probably used to going outside to have a smoke every so often.  You should take a walk around the building from time to time, but avoid the smokers for now.
3. Keep telling yourself that one more drag, and you'll be right back where you started.  And I mean one drag.  All the hell you're putting yourself through right now will all be for nothing. So slap the side of your brain that wants the drag.  IT'S WRONG!
4.  Get a jar.  Everyday, put the same amount of money in the jar you would spend on cigarettes.  In about two months I bought myself a new surround sound amplifier (a real nice one).
5. It will take about a year before you don't crave a smoke anymore.  You have to stay on gaurd for a very long time.  You also have to want it.  
6. Don't let anyone smoke in your car, or your house.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I strongly suggest that you stay the course and quit, it isn't easy, but will be well worth it. Here in Kalif., cigs are up to $5/pack. Mutiply the numbers and its over $1,500/year going up in smoke. That's alot of ammo, or a complete new gun. I've seen some nice Kimbers for that amount. Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've cutback a hell of a lot.. I used to smoke 2 packs of Marlboro reds and im only 20.. then I said fuck this.. I couldn't run 20 feet without being out of breath so 2 weeks ago I started smoking 1 pack a day of Marlboro Ultra lights.. and its not bad.. i'm cutting back to half a pack a day or so now..
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quiting's easy. I've done it at least a dozen times[BD]

Seriosly, Find something else to take the place of the smokes. Gum, fruit, etc.

The one time I quit longest, I would chew on straws. I'd get a drink at McD's or somewhere and end up chewing on the straw the rest of the day(weird huh?)
It worked 'til that little voice said"Just one draw won't hurt"  Ooops.

Don't give in to it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I have decided to quit smoking.  I have seen some threads on here about others doing it.

It has been 72 hrs and I am freaking out.  I am dying for one drag of a cool addidcting nicotine stick.  

How did you guys do it?  Was there any point that you thought you were gonna crack?  The hardest thing so far was driving.  I got in the truck and was reaching for one.  I thought coffee would be the hardest but driving is the worst without a smoke right now.

When does it begin getting easier?  The bad side of my brain says, come on, one drag will only help you through this.  The good side says, man, tough it out.  I would go shooting but I love having a smoke after shooting.  ARGH! Addiction sux, withdrawl sux.
View Quote

Hang in there man, I hope you kick the habbit , I have tried manny times but just did not have my mind right.  Still going to do it , I am strong minded, but just got to get  it right. Do it for me, so I can build upon your success. [^]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the support guys.  I have mellowed for now.  

I have gone from 1.5-2 packs a day for 12 years to zero.  I haven't taken any patches, meds or anything.  I did consult my doctor and he gave me a script of Zyban and some other stuff but I didn't want to take them so I haven't filled the scripts.  I have heard some bad stuff about it.

Hopefully this will get easier.  I have never drank so much water before. Caveman, funny thing that you mentioned that.  At lunch today I left the place with the straw and chewed it for about an hour!  That did help.  The oral fixation seemed satisfied.  (As I sit here and chew on a pen)

Vermillion, I was doing the Reds and dropped down to the ULs for about 6 months.  They do seem more airy and less smoky... yummmmmy smoke.....

God this has to get easier!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
"Oh Dark Mother let me suckle at your smoky teat..."
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As one smoker to a soon to be ex smoker.
Fight the power !!!
Your almost free.
View Quote

HA!

one of my supervisors was a 2 pack a day man for about 20 years.  he has been off cancer sticks for about 8 years.  if any one is free it's this guy.  A couple months ago he was at the filling station and went into the little store to get a coke and "on autopilot" walked out with a pack of sigs and a lighter.  He made it to the car with the smoke in his mouth and the lighter just about ready to light it off when he realized what he was doing and threw the whole lot in the trash.

sigs are a bad deal.
this will take years!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Consider this:  You are not an ex-smoker, but a non-smoker now.

You don't smoke.  Ever.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#14]
2 years, 3 months, and 19 hours without a Cancer Stick.
I was smoking 2 packs a day and couldn't make it to the top of the stairs. Used the patch for two weeks and than quit cold turkey.
Except for the occasional Cigar (one every couple of months). [}:D]
It's all in the additude.
Don't quit quiting!

By the way, my fiance smoked the whole time.  She quit smoking 8 days ago and went on the patch.  So far so good! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]
It will become effortless ...you will look at smokers and feel so bad for poisoning yourself for so long.I was at 2 packs a day 7 years ago and quit cold turkey. Food never tasted so good.
If you can't fight a silly tobacco addiction then you'll surely talk when Koffe Anal asks where you hid your guns.Be strong and it WILL be like you never smoked in a few years.Probable the best thing you can do for yourself.You might not live longer but you won't suffer as much while you are alive.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I used the patches with great success.  I couldn't take the gum, it was too much like chewing bathroom calk flavored with Tabasco sauce.  Been 5 years now for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#17]
It's been a little over 2 months since my last coffin nail, just hang in there Defcon you can do it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#18]
8 1/2 years for me.

- Change your routine. I had to quit drinking alcohol for about 3 months, as "the smoke bone is connected to the drink bone". Grab something else in your truck when you drive, ie gum, jerky, a straw, etc.  Try driving out of your way, or a different way to from work.

- Stay away from other folks that smoke. At work, at play.  Smokers are all to quick to lend you a butt, when you least need it.

- It's an incredibly tactile habit, the pack, the lighter, the way you light up, how you flick your ashes. You are better than this.  As with most of us, you started this stupid habit when you where young and stupid, and probably had to hack down the somke.  Think of that time in your life, when they tasted like shit.

- If you have kids, think of the message you are sending them.

- Take it one day, one afternoon, one hour at a time, just do it!

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Ive been smoking for 3 years now, i started at 17, now im 20.  i know i should quit, but damnit, it makes me so cool and all the ladies love me because i do it.  At least, thats what the commercials and advertisements say.  Theyre right, arent they?

Oh yeah, everytime i see a truth commerical, i wanna dump a mag into the TV screen.  Then i get ahold of myself and calm down with a cigarette.  Speaking of cigarettes, I thik ill go have one now.

hang in there, do it for the children or whoever you have to.  one of these days, ill realize what im doing and stop...  I think.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I feel for you man.
I quit cold turkey, the 1st 3 months were hell.
I had the shortest temper known to man, smashed a lot of things, very hostile.
Around month 5 I began to mellow.....

I was a non for just over 4 years, then, durring Christmas 1999-2000 my life was ripped apart and I started smoking again.
I can't stop right now, even tho I feel it killing me, I just don't care anymore, but that's just me, you can do it man.

Fight it hard, you can do it!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#21]
My friend little Johnny smoked ALL day and only used 1 match.
He lit #2 with the butt of #1 and so on.

He did that for 50 YEARS!!

He quit cold turkey when they hit$3.00 per pack.
If he can do it so can you!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]
It was fairly easy for me. I looked at who I knew that smoked (losers) versus who didnt smoke. I loked at the fact that if the smokes were stronger than I, then I was a puss.

I just quit. No patches, no gum.....I always looked at them like jerkin off. If you are gonna be celibate, you have to go all the way. If you jerk it, you still aint celibate...

And last of all, I realized there was no use cryin over spilled milk. If  I was gonna count minutes and seconds, then the smokes were still first and foremost in my mind. If I was gonna run everytime I smelled one I would be a track star.

IMHO, its all a brain game. PSYCH-OPS. Mental. If your mind is weak you cant quit and it will kill you slowly. Its stupid to start, weak to not be able to quit. I was stupid and started at age 14, quit a couple Christmas's ago and I [b]KNOW[/b] I am done...FOREVER....

Like Nike says, Just do it....
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#23]
You can do this, and I'm glad you're over the hump on this recent craving.

For the future:

1.  Start getting some exercise.  Walking / hiking is good, or shooting hoops.  Simming, too. I think it was last year there was a study concluding that exercise helps you quit.

2.  Go by a music store and pick up a harmonica or two.  Start teaching yourself a couple of songs.  But not while you're driving. [:D]

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow, 72 hours.  That's supposed to be the hardest hurdle.  After 72 hrs the drug is pretty much cleared out of your system.  From now on it's all a psychological struggle against old habits (like reaching for one when you get in your truck, like you said).

If you drink, most people I know relapse back into smoking when they go out drinking, so you might want to avoid that too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]
The only downside to being a non-smoker is the fact that we have to do more work while the smokers take a "break".
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:21:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Hang in there! I quit a bunch of times but always started back up. The last time I quit it was for good. It was easy...My Dr. said " You just quit smoking"! That was while I was recuperating from my Heart Attack! Best thing I ever did for myself and man can you buy some neat stuff for the money you used to BURN UP!![:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#27]
THE URGE WILL PASS WHETHER YOU SMOKE OR NOT!!!!!
[URL] http://www.lungusa.org/ [/URL]
They have a great program-lots of info on learning new behaviors.
Do anything else- JUST DON"T SMOKE.
When I quit 6 months ago, I used the patch for two weeks, abd chewed A LOT of gum-get the big bags of bubble gum, and I also like Dentyne Arctic Chill. Peppermint puff candies were also good. I'm trying to give up my coffe obsession now.
More money for ammo and guns!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#28]
If you have made it 72 hrs, you have already made it past the worst part. As time goes it will become less and less a part of your mind. Thinking about it every single minute is the worst part until you get used to not smoking. The less you think about it, the less you will crave them. Keep as busy as possible and take pride in your willpower. You will have these little bouts as long as perhaps 6 months or more after stopping. They just come on maybe once a month or less after your initial cravings are gone. These tend to be intense however when they do come. Just remember that the duration will be brief and don't give in. Just think of all the extra money you will now have for guns, ammo and accessories! If that isn't motivation I don't know what is. Add that to the fact that stopping will most likely increase the time on earth you will have to enjoy them. Keep it up!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:36:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I chew tobacco as I'm typing this I have a big fatty chew in.  I want to quite,  Do the patches and gum work for chew too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Chewing is actually harder to stop than smoking. I am not sure what you use but I use to use dip....Kodiak wintergreen snuff. This stuff is so addictive that quiting is compared to quiting heroine! I did some research about the stuff and found out that the average dip of snuff contains 4-5 times the amount of nicotine than a cigarette, even more if you take large dips! And because it is held in the mouth it gets into the blood stream faster. Hard to give up but I did. You have to want to stop in order to do it. I suppose the patches will help some as well as chewing gum or some other activity that gives your mouth something to do. I just went cold turkey though. It was rough the first few days but I was determined I would pull through and beat it...and I did.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Hang in there man.  I had my last smoke on Sunday night.  I'm on Zyban though, so I'm probably having an easier time.  Hard part is that my fiancee smokes, but we never smoked in our house.  I started when I was 14, and I'm 27 now.  There are many other more enjoyable ways to die than slow suffocation.  Good luck, and exercise will help you a lot.

-Chimborazo

EDIT:  Go to your local book store and see if you can find this book called [url=http://www.runningpress.com/bookstore/product.asp?sku=120]Quit[/url].  If you can't find it, click [url=http://www.runningpress.com/bookstore/product.asp?sku=120]here[/url] and order it.  It's about the size of a pack of smokes, and whenever you get cravings you can pull it out and read it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:55:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's been a little over 2 months since my last coffin nail, just hang in there Defcon you can do it.
View Quote

I think we quit the same weekend.  I am still hanging in  there as well.  Some times though. [pissed]...  The downfall is I got addicted to damn bubble gum[%|].. Eating, once in a while I eat more than usual.  Beer... beer tastes much better, I don't think that is completely a good thing.  I thought going drinking was goinging to be the hardest time I have, it turned out to be the easiest.

I know I am breathing much better, I could feel it.  I started walking as well, usually me and another person from work do 2 or 3 miles during lunch.  Feels good!!!  

I am not going to lie though... after 2 months, I still feel on edge, I still feel like I am missing something.  Kindof the same feeling of being dehydrated and drinking soda.  You drink a 2 liter bottle of soda, but your still dehydrated, because soda don't do crap for it

But overall, I am finished with it, if nothing else, me being a stubborn bas###d will see to that[^]

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#34]
destroyer,I enjoyed Skoal longcut wintergreen for 14yrs.The patches were the only thing that worked for me.
defcon,as I've never smoked cig's,I really can't comment,other than stick with it and good luck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#35]
At the 72 hour mark you are just about past the physical craving part. From now on it is all in your head. Don't say you are quitting. Say "I don't smoke". Then don't. Every hour that goes by makes the psycological addiction weaker. Keep busy.Stay away from  alcohol and  smokers for a while. I did it that way finally. Nothing else worked. First cigarette was 4/2/69. My last cigarette was 2/28/86.
You *CAN* do it. Just hang tough and decide who is in charge.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I quit smoking about a year and a half ago, but I do dip. Go through a can of Skoal wintergreen a week, but I really don't find it hard to go 4-5 hours without it. That would have killed me when I was smoking. Guess these things affect us all differently. Stick with it man-life's better without the smoke and with more lungpower. I can REALLY tell the difference when I get to the higher elevations. What helped me when I quit was to start smoking TRUE brand cigarettes for a couple of weeks (and don't cheat and break off the filters!) just to help me wean myself off the smoke and nicotine. I guess you could say right now that I'm just nurturing my habit with the dip, but I don't think it'll be too hard to kick. Actually, I kinda enjoy it. Yeah, I'm f**king weird.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I love to chew my skoal longcut straight soo much, that is why it is going to be so hard to quite.  I chew over a can a day.  How much do the patches cost and how long do they last.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I have gone almost a year now and sure am happy about it.  Just remembering to take an occasional long, deep, lungfull of air every now and then seemed to help a lot.  

That, and seeing an old family friend who was tethered to a little cart with a bottle of oxygen on it and dragging that around everywhere scared the s**t out of me about smoking.

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Today was easier.  You guys are great, thanks for the ears and support.  I really needed it!!!!  This stuff is behind me. I am done with smoking. I am gonna make it!  

Sleeping last night was tough.  I was wide awake until 4:00am.  Woke up at 6:00am.  To tell you the truth I am not that sleepy right now either.  

Ohh and food! God it tastes great.  I just noticed that today as well.  After another few weeks I am gonna begin to lose some weight and get into shape again.  I need to lose about 30 lbs.  I am really trying to watch my food consumption during this quitting phase.  Thanks again everyone.  I will let you know how things progress over the next couple of days as work should be insane with the 4th comming up.  

Ohh and as far as staying away from liquor, umm, kinda hard since I work at a brewery. ehhehehehe... I have been skipping daily beer tastings though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#40]
More unsolicited tips:

Start taking some walks now & then - don't bother waiting for when it feels right.

At some point you may think you miss what you believe was the calming effect of a smoke when you were stressed, or just that you think you miss the way it made you feel.   I did try one a month later, and you know what?  It really doesn't do a damn thing FOR you.  We just think it does.

You may be coughing up gross loogies for quite a while as your lungs clear up.

Don't forget how miserable you felt when you had bronchitis or a really bad sore throat and had to light up...

You may hear them calling one day.   You're stronger than that>
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Wooohooo1 Way ta go!
Staying active is a key part of being a non-smoker.
30 minute daily walks are are place to start.
[url] about.com [/url]<
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top