Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 8:04:41 PM EDT
http://wn.ktvu.com/story/29869751/thieves-break-into-uc-berkeley-police-chiefs-suv-to-steal-gun-badge

A gun stolen from University of California at Berkeley Police Chief Margo Bennett's SUV as she jogged at the Point Isabel Regional Shoreline in Richmond on Friday morning was not secured except being in the locked SUV, a UC Berkeley police lieutenant said Monday.

In addition to the loaded gun, Bennett's badge and official laptop were also stolen from the unmarked police Ford Escape. The gun was not stored in a safe and did not have a trigger lock, UC Berkeley police Lt. Marc DeCoulode said.

The burglary was reported at 8:17 a.m. Friday in the parking lot near the Mudpuppies dog grooming business, park officials said. Bennett had gone for a jog and returned to find a rear window of the SUV smashed.

In addition to the badge, loaded gun and department-issued laptop, a diamond ring, an iPad, a cellphone and her police identification were stolen from the car, East Bay Regional Park District spokeswoman Carolyn Jones said.

DeCoulode said department-issued computers are typically password-protected but would not say whether there was sensitive information stored on the computer.

"She's rather upset," DeCoulode said. "It just shows that anyone can be the victim of a crime so if anyone sees suspicious activity we hope they will report it."

Auto burglaries are common at East Bay shoreline parks, where easy access from the freeway lets thieves get in and out of the parking lots quickly, Jones said. Such burglaries are most common in the Berkeley Marina.

Police recommend not bringing valuables to parks if possible, and otherwise to keep them out of view. They also recommend putting valuables in the trunk of the car before arriving at the park as thieves may be watching people arriving.

The department works to cut down on burglaries of park visitors by regularly patrolling parking lots, having maintenance staff keep an eye on things as well, and maintaining foliage around the lots to limit hiding places, Jones said.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Only two words come to mind.

Affirmative Action
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I assume she has been charged under CA's tough safe storage laws?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
So the civilians who are allowed to buy the 10 different guns on the California approved safety list have to keep their firearms secured with a trigger lock in a safe in the trunk but the trained California law enforcement officials leave theirs on the dash and dare the illegal immigrants to break the law?

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
 I take they have legalized thievery in the progressive state of California ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So the civilians who are allowed to buy the 10 different guns on the California approved safety list have to keep their firearms secured with a trigger lock in a safe in the trunk but the trained California law enforcement officials leave theirs on the dash and dare the illegal immigrants to break the law?

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/702nru1j7/" target="_blank">http://s21.postimg.org/702nru1j7/images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_TAgg_Ipwm7dp_QZPDy_Fz96_Bp73g2_Ov_G.jpg</a>
View Quote

Animals and equality.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
nvm
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Animals and equality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/702nru1j7/" target="_blank">http://s21.postimg.org/702nru1j7/images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_TAgg_Ipwm7dp_QZPDy_Fz96_Bp73g2_Ov_G.jpg</a>

Animals and equality.

I guess Petraeus learned he wasn't equal to Hillary and Kate's family learned she wasn't equal to an illegal immigrant.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]
That guy fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I got nothing good to say....
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That guy fucked up.
View Quote

In the summer of transgender news I can see why a lesbian police chief would make it hard to tell. I'm not sure which of the 6 genders applies
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In the summer of transgender news I can see why a lesbian police chief would make it hard to tell. I'm not sure which of the 6 genders applies
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That guy fucked up.

shit, i bet there will be some stupid ass law coming up in a few months that makes it illegal to disclose how someone self identifies and we will be all shitting on one bathroom
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 I take they have legalized thievery in the progressive state of California ?
View Quote

If it grows  legs, it will happen there first. Confliction- the natural state of Progressivism.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That guy fucked up.
View Quote

Come on you know after two beers and a shot you be rubbing your pathetic pecker up against it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

In addition to the badge, loaded gun and department-issued laptop, a diamond ring, an iPad, a cellphone and her police identification were stolen from the car, East Bay Regional Park District spokeswoman Carolyn Jones said.

View Quote
I wouldnt think to leave any of those items in my car

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#16]

"I’ve been a victim and know what being a victim is like,’’ Bennett told us Friday. "And I have used that information to strengthen who I am, and I bring it into everything I do.

She's a professional victim

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Affirmative Action
View Quote

I was thinking "dumb motherfucker".
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's the brilliance you get from a University of California Police Chief. Imagine all the other magnificent decisions she's made.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I assume she will be charged, or is she special?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That guy fucked up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Sanctuary cities FTW
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Affirmative Action
View Quote

I was going to say Bull Dyke but yeah that too.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Shackle her!
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Given the gun was loaded, also against California state law, she must be extra special.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I do...  but don't want the timeout or ban....

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Affirmative Action
View Quote

I was thinking more along the lines of:  

YOUR FIRED

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#28]
More of California's gun control on display in a different incident in San Francisco

Oakland: Suspects arrested in San Francisco tourist shooting

Contra Costa Times-2 hours ago

OAKLAND -- Two San Francisco shooting suspects may face charges of robbery, attempted murder, assault with a firearm and evading police ...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's okay, the irony speaks for itself, this happened earlier in the month

Pair of Gun-Toting Suspects Steal UC Berkeley Student's Cellphone ...

NBC Bay Area-Aug 7, 2015

A 20-year-old male student at the University of California at Berkeley was robbed at gunpoint early Friday morning, campus police said.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I have to admit for the longest I stored my concealed pistol in the locked vehicle at work or the few times at a voting booth or fed building and considered my locked vehicle just like my locked home as "reasonably" secure.
I now own a pretty beefy American Security BF safe in the home and have finally bought a Hornady 16 gauge pistol lock box that is tethered to a body part in the trunk.
It's terrible that someone would be called irresponsible to not have all of these things to secure firearms.
And I don't at all agree with it but at the same time I don't want these asshats gaining possession of any of my guns either.
Damn if you do and damn if you don't.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Another law enforcement officer gun stolen, this time in Oakland

SFGate-1 hour ago

"A Hayward police officer's gun was stolen during a car burglary in ... P239 handgun, badge and ammunition"
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#32]
The Steinle family will be suing the city of San Francisco tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did the FBI ever get charged when they lost all those select fire MP5's, pistols, mags, armor, flash grenades, etc.?

How about the officer who had the 10mm MP5, RRA LAR15, and Springfield 1911 stolen from his vehicle in front of his house?

FBI Offers Reward for Stolen Guns

Another from 2005:  FBI Car, MP5 Stolen

But now there's an additional concern. The FBI is reporting that one of their vehicles was stolen in Northwest Washington on Friday. Inside that car was government issued protective gear like a bullet proof vest. But even more disturbing to some is that a submachine gun is now missing.

"The stolen weapon is an MP5, which is a 9 millimeter submachine gun. The MP5 is specially designed for American law enforcement" says counterterrorism expert Larry Johnson.

According to Johnson "It's a submachine gun, multiple bullets, law enforcement use, cannot walk into local gun store and purchase one of these".
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#34]
IBTL

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top