Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 3:52:50 AM EST

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:02:41 AM EST
Yeager said " rules are for people that don`t have the courage to make their own". Gotta love it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:11:30 AM EST
Incredible feat and an American Hero.

I wonder what kind of watch he's wearing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:15:09 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:17:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:18:57 AM EST
I have been lucky enough to meet and provide security for the General
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:19:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:22:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 4:23:35 AM EST by ReconB4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wesmerc:
View Quote

I fueled a P51 he was flying, spoke with him on the tarmac for a while and got his signature on the shirt I was wearing at the time. This was while I was in flight school during a break in service and I was working as a fueler at an airport in Lakeland, FL during Sun N Fun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:24:56 AM EST
In October of 1948 he decided to visit his parents here in WV. When his father took him back to the airport he hopped on his plane and made local folklore history:

He said Wednesday that when he first approached the Kanawha River from what is now Yeager Airport, it wasn't the South Side Bridge that initially caught his attention.

He was flying around the state Capitol, marveling at it.

"Incidentally, I still say that is the most beautiful Capitol building in the world," Yeager said Wednesday.

He finally came down along the river, headed west, and saw the bridge right there in front of him.

And really, he said, the whole thing, including his decision-making process and the actual flight, happened almost in the blink of an eye. He was going about 500 miles an hour, remember.

"I looked up and saw the bridge and within a second I knew I had clearance," Yeager said.

So he flew right under it.

"I pulled up and then when I saw the guys getting off their boats, I got the hell out of there."

That's it.

Even right after he tucked under the bridge, it didn't strike the general as a big deal. So he was surprised when it spawned decades of speculation.

"You fly so damn many dangerous maneuvers (as a pilot), it just didn't seem like anything," he said.

But to people in his native state, so proud of their hometown boy who changed the world, it was something huge.

It still is.
View Quote

You can google the South Side bridge in Charleston, WV to see what it looks like

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:26:55 AM EST
I thought it was the X1E which broke that record.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:27:39 AM EST
I watched "The Right Stuff" just last week-end, for probably the first time in 7 or 8 years. It's still one of the most inspiring movies of all time.

dp
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:29:54 AM EST

A true American hero.
God bless him and all those other mad, cowboy geniuses.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:36:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By ReconB4:

I fueled a P51 he was flying, spoke with him on the tarmac for a while and got his signature on the shirt I was wearing at the time. This was while I was in flight school during a break in service and I was working as a fueler at an airport in Lakeland, FL during Sun N Fun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My experience was at Oshkosh. Never been to Sun N Fun
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:36:55 AM EST
I met him and Hoover when I was in CAP. Great men for sure.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:42:54 AM EST

View All Quotes

Obviously Oshkosh is considered the #1 Air Show in the US. Sun N Fun is the #2. It's huge and all of the acts at Osh Kosh are at Sun N Fun. Imagine Osh Kosh on a slightly smaller scale. It's still huge but in a smaller arena.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:45:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:50:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:55:37 AM EST
It's amazing how little we've progressed in aerodynamics since that time.

Avionics have improved exponentially, and engines have gotten more reliable and efficient.

But we still fly around at Mach .8

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:57:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:03:42 AM EST
He and John Wayne are at the top of my list of real men.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:46:42 AM EST
Originally Posted By CFII:

Gas Mileage>ALL

Realities of this age.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Avionics have improved exponentially, and engines have gotten more reliable and efficient.

Gas Mileage>ALL

Realities of this age.

Exactly my point. We should be fusion powered by now, or at least liquid hydrogen.

And we should be flying at 60-80,000'

It is simply incredible how much they accomplished between 1942 and 1968. The sky was no limit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:14:35 AM EST

Exactly my point. We should be fusion powered by now, or at least liquid hydrogen.

It is simply incredible how much they accomplished between 1942 and 1968. The sky was no limit.
View All Quotes

Gas Mileage>ALL

Realities of this age.

The computer advances between 68 to the present are no less impressive or revolutionary.

I remember back in the 1970's my Grandfather telling me how he saw the first demo of an airplane in ireland (a wright flyer, or something of that nature) and lived to see jumbo jets landing at the airport in Shannon.

His recollection made an impression on me even as a 7 year old.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:17:24 AM EST
Finally, a Yeager thread that I can read with pride instead of shame.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:57:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By 10mmFan:
View Quote
john wayne was a actor. chuck yeager is the real deal!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:10:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 8:15:07 AM EST by MiG-21]
Originally Posted By crodeo:
In October of 1948 he decided to visit his parents here in WV. When his father took him back to the airport he hopped on his plane and made local folklore history:

You can google the South Side bridge in Charleston, WV to see what it looks like

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crodeo:

He said Wednesday that when he first approached the Kanawha River from what is now Yeager Airport, it wasn't the South Side Bridge that initially caught his attention.

He was flying around the state Capitol, marveling at it.

"Incidentally, I still say that is the most beautiful Capitol building in the world," Yeager said Wednesday.

He finally came down along the river, headed west, and saw the bridge right there in front of him.

And really, he said, the whole thing, including his decision-making process and the actual flight, happened almost in the blink of an eye. He was going about 500 miles an hour, remember.

"I looked up and saw the bridge and within a second I knew I had clearance," Yeager said.

So he flew right under it.

"I pulled up and then when I saw the guys getting off their boats, I got the hell out of there."

That's it.

Even right after he tucked under the bridge, it didn't strike the general as a big deal. So he was surprised when it spawned decades of speculation.

"You fly so damn many dangerous maneuvers (as a pilot), it just didn't seem like anything," he said.

But to people in his native state, so proud of their hometown boy who changed the world, it was something huge.

It still is.

What was he flying?

ETA: it was a F-80

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:11:33 AM EST
Dam, all this time I thought itb was only mach one
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:39:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
Dam, all this time I thought itb was only mach one
View Quote

That was the X-1, his first supersonic flight. The X-1A was a bit further on in the high-speed game.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:44:10 AM EST
I was lucky enough to meet him when I was 14. I was in Civil Air Patrol and he came to our local AFB.

Great man
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:46:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:48:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By DeltaElite777:

That was the X-1, his first supersonic flight. The X-1A was a bit further on in the high-speed game.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DeltaElite777:
Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
Dam, all this time I thought it was only mach one

And it was done with non-sweep wings
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:49:15 AM EST
Winning

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:29:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By RED_5:

If I'm not mistaken, thats the X-1, not the X-1A
View All Quotes

picky picky
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:40:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By dropdbombnow:
I watched "The Right Stuff" just last week-end, for probably the first time in 7 or 8 years. It's still one of the most inspiring movies of all time.

dp
View Quote

That's one of the greats.

Fantastic movie!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:43:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 10:59:07 AM EST by tep0583]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
View All Quotes

It took six men to keep the Duke from kicking the ever loving shit out of Brando.

I don't think I'd want any part of fighting that "actor".

I don't think questioning his manhood would have been a good idea, if you didn't want to fight him.

He qualifies, in my book.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:50:14 AM EST

View All Quotes

I pissed next to him at the FBO in Sacramento airport....
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:53:38 AM EST
Sadly, that feat cannot be repeated today.

To my knowledge, we, nor any other country, have a manned airplane that can go that fast.

Hopefully, somebody can prove me wrong.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:55:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 10:57:55 AM EST by Doucheatron3000]
As has been pointed out, the pic in the OP is the X1, in which Yeager became the first human to break the sound barrier in 1947.

This is the X1-A

Originally Posted By tep0583:

Fantastic movie!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tep0583:
Originally Posted By dropdbombnow:

dp

Fantastic movie!

GREAT movie. If anyone here hasn't seen it and is looking for a movie to watch, watch The Right Stuff. You'll be glad you did.

ETA: Sam Shepherd played Yeager (ironically, Shepherd has or had a fear of flying). Chuck Yeager had a small part as Fred, in the Happy Bottom Riding Club.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:01:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 11:04:22 AM EST by switchtanks]
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. But there are no old, bold pilots"

ORLY

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:08:39 AM EST
Flew fighters in WW2 over Europe and shot down German planes. Got shot down in WW2. Escaped and evaded back to England. Personally asked General Eisenhower to, break the rules and let him fly again. Flew again, and shot down more Germans.

Yeager earned his wings in early 1943. After a brief assignment stateside, he transferred to England and began working with the 363rd Fighter Squadron. In early 1944, on his seventh mission, Yeager shot down his first enemy plane. However, his next sortie did not go as well.

On March 5, 1944, his eighth mission, Yeager had to bail out over occupied France after his plane took an enemy hit. Despite being wounded, Yeager still evaded the Germans, with the help of the French Resistance, and made it into neutral Spain. Soon after, he returned to England. Although military rules prohibited him from returning to his unit, he appealed his case all the way up to General Dwight D. Eisenhower, who allowed him to return to his squadron.

If Eisenhower had any doubts about his decision, Yeager quickly put them to rest. After returning to his unit, Yeager shot down five enemy planes in a single day and became an "ace-in-a-day." Later, he even downed a German Messerschmitt Me-262 jet while flying his propeller-driven P-51 Mustang. Throughout his 64 World War II missions, Yeager scored a total of 11-1/2 victories. (Pilots were credited with a "half" victory if pilots from two planes both hit an enemy aircraft.)
View Quote

http://www.chuckyeager.org/htm_docs/intrviw.shtml
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:29:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 1:42:08 PM EST by us-kiwi]
His autobiography is very entertaining - he calls stuff how he sees it, would probably get busted today for the stuff he said/did.

from wiki -

"Yeager is fully retired from military test flying, after having maintained that status for three decades after his official retirement from the Air Force. On October 14, 1997, on the 50th anniversary of his historic flight past Mach 1, he flew a new Glamorous Glennis III, an F-15D Eagle, past Mach 1. The chase plane for the flight was an F-16 Fighting Falcon piloted by Bob Hoover, a legendary air-show pilot who had been Yeager's wingman for the first supersonic flight. This was Yeager's last official flight with the U.S. Air Force. At the end of his speech to the crowd, Yeager concluded, "All that I am ... I owe to the Air Force." Later that month, he was the recipient of the Tony Jannus Award for his achievements.

On October 14, 2012 on the 65th anniversary of breaking the sound barrier, Yeager did it again in a McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle, out of Nellis Air Force Base at the age of 89."

IIRC, one of the very few to have enlisted in the .mil as a private and retired as a General.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:38:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By us-kiwi:
His autobiography is very entertaining - he calls stuff how he sees it, would probably get busted today for the stuff he said/did.

from wiki -

"Yeager is fully retired from military test flying, after having maintained that status for three decades after his official retirement from the Air Force. On October 14, 1997, on the 50th anniversary of his historic flight past Mach 1, he flew a new Glamorous Glennis III, an F-15D Eagle, past Mach 1. The chase plane for the flight was an F-16 Fighting Falcon piloted by Bob Hoover, a legendary air-show pilot who had been Yeager's wingman for the first supersonic flight. This was Yeager's last official flight with the U.S. Air Force. At the end of his speech to the crowd, Yeager concluded, "All that I am ... I owe to the Air Force." Later that month, he was the recipient of the Tony Jannus Award for his achievements.
View Quote

On October 14, 2012 on the 65th anniversary of breaking the sound barrier, Yeager did it again in a McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle, out of Nellis Air Force Base at the age of 89."

89 years old young and flying an F-15. Damn.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:41:59 PM EST
View All Quotes

Like saying Reagan was just an actor.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:45:59 PM EST
I wonder how many retired pilots can show up at an Air Base and jump into a F15?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 1:52:01 PM EST
I heard a story that he could fly into any air force base and get fueled up for free for the rest of his life.

If it is true, that's some government spending I find worth it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:15:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By us-kiwi:
I wonder how many retired pilots can show up at an Air Base and jump into a F15?
View Quote

a national treasure he is!
Top Top