Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 4:18:53 PM EDT
Just saw his segment, what a freakin' idiot.
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/09/30/60minutes/main892398.shtml
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Thank you Captain Obvious.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
What did he say now?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Andy Rooney should be hanged for sedition.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]

We still have 139,000 soldiers in Iraq today.

Almost 2,000 Americans have died there. For what?

Now we have the hurricanes to pay for. One way our government pays for a lot of things is by borrowing from countries like China.

Another way the government is planning to pay for the war and the hurricane damage is by cutting spending for things like Medicare prescriptions, highway construction, farm payments, AMTRAK, National Public Radio and loans to graduate students. Do these sound like the things you'd like to cut back on to pay for Iraq?

I'll tell you where we ought to start saving: on our bloated military establishment.

We're paying for weapons we'll never use.

No other Country spends the kind of money we spend on our military. Last year Japan spent $42 billion. Italy spent $28 billion, Russia spent only $19 billion. The United States spent $455 billion.

We have 8,000 tanks for example. One Abrams tank costs 150 times as much as a Ford station wagon.

We have more than 10,000 nuclear weapons — enough to destroy all of mankind.

We're spending $200 million a year on bullets alone. That's a lot of target practice. We have 1,155,000 enlisted men and women and 225,000 officers. One officer to tell every five enlisted soldier what to do. We have 40,000 colonels alone and 870 generals.

We had a great commander in WWII, Dwight Eisenhower. He became President and on leaving the White House in 1961, he said this: “We must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. …"

Well, Ike was right. That's just what’s happened.

We have 8,000 tanks for example. One Abrams tank costs 150 times as much as a Ford station wagon.

So WHAT??? Here Rooney can go into battle with a Ford Station wagon and I will go into battle with an Abrams.

We're spending $200 million a year on bullets alone. That's a lot of target practice. We have 1,155,000 enlisted men and women and 225,000 officers. One officer to tell every five enlisted soldier what to do. We have 40,000 colonels alone and 870 generals.

And We still don't have enough.  That figure was at 1.7/8 Million enlisted men and women in 1987 for the Army Alone.  Whats his f&*king problem.

Force projection from 1987 showed that buy 1997 we should have had 17 carriers , 40 something fighter wings, 100's of B-2 and 100's of B-1's. There were to have been 780 F-22's in service we are barely getting over 300.  Andy Rooney has already gotten his way, and he is still not satisfied.
Our merchant marine fleet (Heavy Sea-Lift, capability is virtually nil)  

They cancelled the most advanced Self-Propelled artillery piece in the world (The Crusader),
Among numerous other projects..

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Andy is a turd.

FREE
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone who watches 60 minutes is a looney
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
i quit watching 60 mins along time ago, isn't there demographics like 90 years old and above? that is why 60 mins II came out to attract younger farts like 70 and above.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I think his eyebrows get in the way of his thinking, or is it the other way around.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
We spend that money to win wars and hence direct HISTORY.

The USA is pretty much who you want directing history.  Well, maybe we'd like to see Canada or Iceland ponying up the dough calling the shots, directing history.  But they arent doing that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone who watches 60 minutes is a looney

Actually, anyone who believes in their spin is looney
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think his eyebrows get in the way of his thinking, or is it the other way around.

Those are really two large caterpillars that suck all intelligent thought out of his withering brain.

He's been nuts for as long as I can remember. He is there for entertainment/sideshow value only
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I watched him regularly years ago.  I stopped when he and the rest of the other "journalists" let their leftist views override their ability to tell the truth.  Rooney stayed way beyond his time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Rooney's the type of person that would have us drastically cut all of our military spending, and then bitch and complain that we aren't dominating the world when China comes online.

"We only have 500,000 enlisted men and 100,000 officers in our military. We have no ships and tanks, and barely any ammo. There used to be a time when this country led the world, now we are second best at most. We need to ask our elected representatives why they have allowed us to be out-classed by other nations..."

Rooney is one of those fuckheads who believes in the "Greatest Generation" theory of America: that the WWII generation was the best this country ever did and we'll never amount that anything like that again. The ironic thing is that if true, it's largely because of jagoffs like Rooney.

That stupid old senile fuck needs to die already and let us get on with the business of kicking everyone's ass.

<insert "You shut the fuck up, we'll defend the country" pic here>
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]

A outright Dan Rather-type lie.
We have something like 7,000 warheads. Unfortunately not enough to destroy all our enemies, let alone the whole world.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#15]
CBS news lost their credibility long ago
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, "60 Minutes" and CBS News in general seems to tilt heavily towards geezerdom. They're still stuck on 1975, the last time that network news was the undisputed master of the universe. The world has moved on, and they haven't.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:58:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A outright Dan Rather-type lie.
We have something like 7,000 warheads. Unfortunately not enough to destroy all our enemies, let alone the whole world.

you dont think 7,000 warheads would destroy the world?

Thats is a shitload of money but thats why we kick ass. And I have no doubt if we ever went to war with any country or countries we would no doubt win. Thats why we are fighting the way we are in Iraq, We could easily kill all the terrorist within 1 week if they came out like men and faught us straight up
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are really two large caterpillars that suck all intelligent thought out of his withering brain.

He's been nuts for as long as I can remember. He is there for entertainment/sideshow value only

They are actually two brain slugs wearing cashmere sweaters.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#19]
He's and AssHat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top