Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/26/2013 11:37:59 PM EDT

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I disagree with the GPS - those things are the Debbil.  
I keep a map in my truck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
First off, that guy can't count. He has a shit ton more than 5 things there. Secondly, a boonie hat is indispensable? Whatever.

I say stick with a fuckin' Trunk Monkey. Or, in his case, a couple of Disaster Cats.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree.

All anyone needs is

1; Snickers or Hershey bar

2; space blanket

3; 1 liter of water

4; fresh Bic lighter plus a case of road flares and 8 Clif Bars

5; Gimp
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#4]
A flare gun?

A rifle and ammo?

A cheap GPS?

A few flashlights?

A good hat?

A first aid kit?

A three day bag/BOB?

A flare gun is practically worthless under 99% of situations and 100% of situations I could/would face. A rifle and ammo on the other had could come in handy IF you can properly secure them in your vehicle to prevent theft (like I do). A cheap GPS will give a lot of people a false sense of security, learn to read a damn map, they never run out of batteries, and work under tree cover. A few flashlights are great, as long as you have spare batteries as the video said. Car chargers for the batteries means they will always be ready plus there should be one in your BOB with spare batts. A good hat is a no brainer, but it should be in the three day pack/BOB. A first aid kit is a mandatory in all my cars, my first aid kits are a little more advanced than what a layman would have or even know how to use. get training for any stuff you pack in your FAK you are not comfortable/proficient with, it could save a life. A three day bag/BOB is also a mandatory Item in my vehicle.

My list of 5 "must haves".

1. Water, not a few bottles, at least 5 gallons a person.

2. FAK.

3. HT ham radio, it will work when all infrastructure is down.

4. A fire extinguisher, not a puny 1 Lb. "Car and kitchen extinguisher", a regularly maintained, 20 Lb ABC dry chem.

5. BOB/GHB, which includes a rifle or shotgun depending on my mood.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

You  might need to change your name to LudditeGal26, then.  Maps are so 1980.  :P
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't watch the video.

Every truck should have:

Road flares in the drivers door pocket... Preferably the 30 minute kind, though 15s will do. At least five.

Chemlights in the drivers door pocket.

A good flashlight that runs on lithium batteries in the drivers door pocket, a second one in the center console, a third in the glove box, a forth with the tool kit. Trust me, you want flashlights everywhere.

A reflective vest under the drivers seat.

Multiple glass breakers and seat belt cutters... I keep one in the drivers door pocket, one in a holster firmly attached to the drivers seat frame, one MASSIVE glass breaker/belt cutter in the center console, and another small one in the glove box.

Spare flashlight batteries.

A few tourniquets and Israeli bandages scattered around. A good packaged GSW kit also.

Tire inflator, preferably both an electric and an additional hand pump. Tire pressure gauge too, obviously.

A few cans of fix a flat... Trust me, one isn't enough.

One of those mobile jumpstarters... Check on it a few times a year for charge. Buy a size bigger than you need.

Jumper cables... Big, heavy ones.

Solar cellphone charger... Very, very important, has made my life easier more than once.

Basic tool kit... Socket set, tire iron, screwdrivers, mini-pry-bar.

At least two jacks rated for more than your vehicle weighs. Some flatboards to place under the jacks. Additional lumber for self-extraction.

I recommend a farm jack too, but that's just me.

Two hand-wenches (come alongs) and shitloads of chain.

A tow strap.

Shovels... Two... Full size, not those gay folding pieces of shit.

Local area maps, larger state maps, on-foot GPS, spare batteries, and a compass.

A few gallons of distilled water. Many uses, including drinking.

Additionally, a good water filter.

Two tubs of peanut butter.

A machete.

A 4-6lb mini-sledge... This shit saved me once. Trust me, buy it.

Several quarts of oil. You want enough so, if you manage to put a good size hole in your oil pan, you can patch it up, and put enough oil back in the system that she doesn't explode.

During winter: Sleeping bags, two. More if you have kids.

All season: Two good ponchos, two cheap ponchos, a tarp, some 550 cord, a shitload of Gorilla tape.

JB weld... Like, a bunch.

A good hitch, locked onto your receiver.

A functional spare tire. Check its pressure regularly.

A fuel can.

Fuel siphon.

An axe.

I would suggest some weapons, but I'm sure all the "OMG don't keep a gun in ur car!" soccer moms would scream.

Yeah, I get like 10 miles per gallon with all the shit I haul around.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Didn't watch the video.

Every truck should have:

Road flares in the drivers door pocket... Preferably the 30 minute kind, though 15s will do. At least five.

A good fleshlight that runs on lithium batteries in the drivers door pocket, a second one in the center console, a third in the glove box, a forth with the tool kit. Trust me, you want fleshlights everywhere.

Multiple glass breakers and seat belt cutters... I keep one in the drivers door pocket, one in a holster firmly attached to the drivers seat frame, one MASSIVE glass breaker/belt cutter in the center console, and another small one in the glove box.

Spare fleshlight batteries.

Tire inflator, preferably both an electric and an additional hand pump. Tire pressure gauge too, obviously.

One of those mobile jumpstarters... Check on it a few times a year for charge. Buy a size bigger than you need.

Solar cellphone charger... Very, very important, has made my life easier more than once.

At least two jacks rated for more than your vehicle weighs. Some flatboards to place under the jacks. Additional lumber for self-extraction.

A tow strap.

Local area maps, larger state maps, on-foot GPS, spare batteries, and a compass.

A machete.

Several quarts of oil. You want enough so, if you manage to put a good size hole in your oil pan, you can patch it up, and put enough oil back in the system that she doesn't explode.

All season: Two good ponchos, two cheap ponchos, a tarp, some 550 cord, a shitload of Gorilla tape.

A fuel can.

I would suggest some weapons, but I'm sure all the "OMG don't keep a gun in ur car!" soccer moms would scream.

View Quote

was going to say you need a trailer to haul all that around in.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't watch the video.

Every truck should have:

A good fleshlight that runs on lithium batteries in the drivers door pocket, a second one in the center console, a third in the glove box, a forth with the tool kit. Trust me, you want fleshlights everywhere.

Spare fleshlight batteries.

A tow strap.

A machete.

A fuel can.

Nice thing about a covered, locking truck bed... You can bring EVER, RY, THING!

Most of the items on that list are pretty small. A few are big.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me and a friend were trying to find a party at 2 am, my HTC and her iPhone were giving two completely different directions.

I phone was right,
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Didn't watch the video.

Every truck should have:

A good flashlight that runs on lithium batteries in the drivers door pocket, a second one in the center console, a third in the glove box, a forth with the tool kit. Trust me, you want flashlights everywhere.

A few tourniquets and Israeli bandages scattered around. A good packaged GSW kit also.

A tow strap.

A machete.

A fuel can.

Yeah, I get like 10 miles per gallon with all the shit I haul around. [img]
View Quote

.....and a trailer to haul all that shit.

EDIT: shit got beat to the punch by the time I finished reading that book....lol
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple of empty chocolate bar wrappers, some pens, and a couple of ring binders.

Ticks most of the boxes I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Watched the video... Too much emphasis on weapons... Not enough on shit to get you un-stuck or un-broke down, which is your most likely problem... I'd place more emphasis on vehicle escape (glassbreakers and seatbelt cutters) than actual weapons.

A boonie hat in place of sunscreen? Why does he hate his arms? Sunscreen is a duh item to have in your vehicle, always.

Carrying a change of clothes is a "derr, I learned to do that when I was twelve" thing... If for no other reason than you spend the night somewhere away from home unexpectedly. A set of clothes and hygiene gear is common sense, not preparation. And packing "tactical" clothes only is retarded. Normal, every day clothes... Maybe a mall-ninja outfit in addition if you must, but a set of plain-clothes is a MUST.

Keep an NFA item unattended in your car? Really? Regular guns I'm fine with... NFA items is asking for having to explain to the Feds how you lost a suppressor... No thanks. A few traps and snare kits are silent, easier to get food with in a bad situation, reusable and lighter than his suppressed .22lr, all with no NFA PITA.

Also, "might not have GPS signal"? Where, in Manhattan? Being in the middle of nowhere seems to help my GPS units, not hinder them. Does he expect to break down in a cave network or a triple canopy jungle?

Not a bad video overall, though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Didn't watch the video.

Every truck should have:

A machete.

View Quote

I dont think Id want to drive around that guy.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Rolling papers, for when you pick up that stoner hitchhiker and he has a big bag of weed but nothing to roll with. Trust me, this is essential.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
http://]

EDIT: shit got beat to the punch by the time I finished reading that book....lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't watch the video.

Every truck should have:

A tow strap.

A machete.

A fuel can.

Yeah, I get like 10 miles per gallon with all the shit I haul around. [url=http://

Again, the majority of those items are tiny and will easily fit in a Smart Car.

The bigger items are easily kept in a covered, locking truck bed... I have all that stuff in my truck now (and moar), and the bed is still like 95% empty.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you referring to a driving GPS, or a walking GPS?

The unit in that video is actually handy if you must get somewhere on foot... I'd still want several good maps and a compass, though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The bigger items are easily kept in a covered, locking truck bed... I have all that stuff in my truck now (and moar), and the bed is still like 95% empty. [img]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't watch the video.

Every truck should have:

A tow strap.

A machete.

A fuel can.

Yeah, I get like 10 miles per gallon with all the shit I haul around. [url=

The bigger items are easily kept in a covered, locking truck bed... I have all that stuff in my truck now (and moar), and the bed is still like 95% empty. [img]

My comment was based on the fact that I drive a Jeep Wrangler.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't watch the video.

Every truck should have:

A tow strap.

A machete.

A fuel can.

The bigger items are easily kept in a covered, locking truck bed... I have all that stuff in my truck now (and moar), and the bed is still like 95% empty. [url=http://

Most of that would still fit, though perhaps not "in the drivers door pocket" .

Skip on the bigger stuff, but most of those smaller items are life savers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't suppose there was a list to what whoever was saying in the youtube, was there?

In any event:

safety tool (belt cutter, punch)
fire extinguisher
flashlight such as a D cell mag light
emergency kit of first aid, food, water, etc
car's first aid kit such as jumper cables, etc

5 items no car should be without
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:59:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can pack a lot of shit in that little shoebox...lol

I was in a VP Squadron in the Navy. Thanks to deployments, I got fairly proficient and making good use of space.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:09:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't suppose there was a list to what whoever was saying in the youtube, was there?

In any event:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

In any event:

Punches are okay... I like my hammer... That said, I have punches elsewhere in the vehicle.

fire extinguisher

I knew I forgot to mention something!

Yup. Last I knew, autozone has a nice all-metal made in USA one, complete with mounting bracket.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#22]
That guy said "a good rifle".

But he picked up an AK...?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:12:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be honest, to keep in a vehicle, an AK isn't a bad choice... Though it needs a light, and it needs to be a real AK (7.62x39).

On roadtrips I bring an AR along. For around town, an AK to get me home is enough, and I won't cry if it gets stolen.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#24]
If you need 500 rounds of ammo in a bandoleer then you've got off on the wrong offramp.

Cheap toolkit (metric/standard sockets)
Cheap survival kit (space blanket, bandages, etc)
Lighting (flashlight and chemlights)
Knife
Fire making instrument.
Water (depending on location)

Not sure why you need much more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:13:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The unit in that video is actually handy if you must get somewhere on foot... I'd still want several good maps and a compass, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only dealt with a driving one.
If it were mine I would have beaten it with a rock.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Daily driver?  Don't need a map or GPS  I can walk home,

Family Tahoe?  in town (greater LA area) no maps, no Thomas Brothers, no GPS, I've been driving around here for 40+ years, with my Dad for 15 years before that, before most freeways, I don't need a map.  Outside the greater LA area, usually have a AAA map, but don't need them in many places, again is CA I've been traveling around the state for almost 60 years, I know most of the major routes and major work arounds, individual city or county maps for driving on new to us back roads.

Flares, flashlights, window breakers/strap cutters all the time

generally the Tahoe has a highlift jack, water some food, with options for going up the coast, going to the mountains or going to the desert.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:18:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Road GPS systems and real GPS units are different animals.

Basically all the GPS he was holding does is tell you where you are, and show a shitty area map. Handy, in that it makes it harder to get lost on foot (though plenty of people still manage it).

It's a way to cheat and find out where you are on the map... Not turn by turn navigation like a driving GPS.

Driving GPS systems exist to show me a gods-eye view map, give me an accurate highway speed, and remind me of exits on long road trips... I don't use turn by turn navigation in town... It drives me insane.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

To be honest, to keep in a vehicle, an AK isn't a bad choice... Though it needs a light, and it needs to be a real AK (7.62x39).

On roadtrips I bring an AR along. For around town, an AK to get me home is enough, and I won't cry if it gets stolen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, AK rounds sure as shit will shoot straight threw cars like butter..
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most guns do.

Cars are basically made out of aluminum foil and cardboard... Expecting them to stop any sort of bullet will disappoint you.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:39:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Most guns do.

Cars are basically made out of aluminum foil and cardboard... Expecting them to stop any sort of bullet will disappoint you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most guns do.

Ok, I've only experimented with an AK..
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Agree.

All anyone needs is

2; space blanket

3; 1 liter of water

5; Gimp
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree.

All anyone needs is

2; space blanket

3; 1 liter of water

5; Gimp

That gentlemen does not need another Snickers or Hershey bar.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:10:05 AM EDT
[#32]
A simple list would be good.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:18:14 AM EDT
[#34]

I've given 3 jump starts to stranded drivers within the past week... great way to meet cute chicks who can't run away.    Not to mention the cordless compressor is nice for bike tires and other small stuff, and it's also awesome for charging cell phones in the event of a power failure.

It's easy to find these things for under $30 on sale.... I got this one for $25 at Farm and Fleet a few months ago.  I wouldn't be caught dead without one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:26:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Do that in some places and your car will be burglarized.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Izzat for every day?   Dat cray.

AAA card.

You guys must live WAY out in the sticks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Condoms.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep a GPS in my truck because I like getting lost.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:12:11 AM EDT
[#39]

So few of these preparedness tipsters ever seem to think through their remarks..Thus, their presentation comes

across as lame and lacking credibility.

"You need a flare gun in case you find yourself on an icy cliff.".....Yup.

"You need a boonie hat because you might not have a chance to pack sunscreen."...Okay.

Embarrassingly amateurish.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Some people think you need so much SHTF stuff in their vehicle, if they put everything on their list into it,

they wouldn't be able to carry a passenger.  So they should get a small trailer.

Somebody out there,  just a guy with a car, probably carries Hurst tools. (Jaws of life, etc.)

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Why the hell do you need a flare gun? That is unless you live in Alaska. In the bush. Road flares and chem lights would serve most people better.

If the z-pock happens, ya and long gun would be handy. Say you're in an accident and incapacitated. Now either the police or JimBob the tow truck driver has access to your long gun. What if someone breaks into your vehicle? They now have your long gun, lots of ammo and if they're smart enough to grab your registration, your address where you most likely have more guns and ammo. If you live in the sticks or have a truck vault it's not as big of a risk I guess.

You are much more likely to have an accident, flat tire or have someone break into your vehicle than need a long gun. Realistically a patch/plug kit, air compressor and basic tool kit would be handier.

So you're stuck in a ditch or on a trail. Even if someone stops to help they better have a tow strap or a come along. I'd rather have my tow strap and two 5000lb ratchet straps.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
1) Some Composition B

2) a standard issue GI sock

3) some axle grease

4) a simple fuse

5) a lighter
View Quote

It's in the manual.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Boonie hat
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:02:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Some people think you need so much SHTF stuff in their vehicle, if they put everything on their list into it,
they wouldn't be able to carry a passenger.  So they should get a small trailer.

Somebody out there,  just a guy with a car, probably carries Hurst tools. (Jaws of life, etc.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When you need it, and ain't got it, you'll be singing a different tune.

My truck still seats six with all that stuff... Four quite comfortably.

As I've said, most of the big stuff is in the bed. The rest is in the console, side pockets, glove box, etc.

Quoted:
Izzat for every day?   Dat cray.

AAA card.

You guys must live WAY out in the sticks.

I have AAA, and all the stuff I list, and more.

I don't live in the sticks, but I make a road trip into the sticks between 3 and 6 times a month.

Even in town, I would have a good chunk of that stuff, though maybe less self-extraction equipment.

Can't help a stranded chick with a AAA card.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why the hell do you need a flare gun? That is unless you live in Alaska. In the bush. Road flares and chem lights would serve most people better.

If the z-pock happens, ya and long gun would be handy. Say you're in an accident and incapacitated. Now either the police or JimBob the tow truck driver has access to your long gun. What if someone breaks into your vehicle? They now have your long gun, lots of ammo and if they're smart enough to grab your registration, your address where you most likely have more guns and ammo. If you live in the sticks or have a truck vault it's not as big of a risk I guess.

You are much more likely to have an accident, flat tire or have someone break into your vehicle than need a long gun. Realistically a patch/plug kit, air compressor and basic tool kit would be handier.

So you're stuck in a ditch or on a trail. Even if someone stops to help they better have a tow strap or a come along. I'd rather have my tow strap and two 5000lb ratchet straps.
View Quote

Agreed on the flare gun. They're cool, though.

If I really need to be seen, I've got gasoline and road flares... NASA gonna see me from fucking space...
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#46]
If I were carrying a rifle in a vehicle at all times it would be a Yugo SKS. Some one steals it while unattended I'm out $110 and it is still a fairly decent shooter. Gallon of water, first aid kit, a few Datrex bars, multi-tool, flashlight, extinguisher.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:07:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't watch the video.

Every truck should have:

A tow strap.

A machete.

A fuel can.

The bigger items are easily kept in a covered, locking truck bed... I have all that stuff in my truck now (and moar), and the bed is still like 95% empty. [url=http://

everyone please continue to quote the longest post in the thread; this way the contents of the list will be repeated in perpetuity for all to see...

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#48]
in my vehicles we have a tool kit, jack, four way lug nut wrench, cargo straps, flashlight, tp, shovel, extra oil, blocks of wood to put under jack, jumper cables and maps. Firepower and food/water depends on the trip we are taking, when we go on a long trip we pack enough water to get us by, usually have one or two guns, and carry an air tank for flats. If I'm pulling the trailer I add a portable generator, high lift jack, and an air compressor.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If I were carrying a rifle in a vehicle at all times it would be a Yugo SKS. Some one steals it while unattended I'm out $110 and it is still a fairly decent shooter. Gallon of water, first aid kit, a few Datrex bars, multi-tool, flashlight, extinguisher.
View Quote

Not a bad choice, to be fair.

There are few tasks an SKS is not sufficient at, if you have some stripper clips.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Fleshlight?  Great for trading handjobs with the natives to get supplies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top