Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/19/2009 8:35:19 AM EST
Hello I just got a 5 week old pit bull. I know she should still be with her mother. But she seems to be fine. I have two other dogs that are both about 3. The one male has not left her side. My question is she is eating puppy food watered down and drinking pooping and peeing fine, So i think she is fine in that aspect. Is there anything else other than a lot of love and attention I should be doing with her. Also I know this is a time when they develop a lot of socialization skills ect will my other dogs act as a foster parents so to speak with the teaching her things. I just want to make sure she stays healthy mentally and physically. I have her eating inuva with this supplement called viticare its a food supplement as well. Any advice would be great and extremely helpful Thank you very much

I got the puppy from a breeder. The problem is the mother wants nothing to do with the pups now, she was born on 12-13-08 and as of saterday the mother wont even go near the litter. Not sure why. This is her second litter the breeder told me she had one littler last year as well. So long story short I had put a deposit on this puppy and was waiting for the 8 week mark to pick her up the the breeder called me saterday and said the she is having problems with the mother and that i could come pick the puppy up.

I am a little nerved about all this
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 9:19:49 AM EST
i can see why you feel funny. make sure you go to the vet and get her checked for worms. then when she is 8 weeks old get her shots. until then i would not let her around your other dogs unless they have current shots and dont interact with outside dogs.

at this point her immune system is weak so contact with other dogs should be avoided.

sounds like you are doing fine so far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 9:34:50 AM EST
Yea both my dogs are up to date on shots. The one which is a male and is 3 almost wont leave her alone. Always by her side its very cute Just dident know if anyone had any other advise on the subject. She has a vet apt at 4pm today, Doesent look like any worms in her poop. But bringin a sample for them to look at.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 12:50:59 PM EST
Sounds like an AWESOME breeder
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 2:21:25 PM EST
Find another breeder and puppy. Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/20/2009 11:52:25 PM EST
Holy shit, that breeder needs a kick in the nuts.  5 weeks is way too young to be seperating them from their mother.  Your breeder is not a true breeder, but more of a puppy mill.  I would never get another puppy from them, in fact tell everyone you know to stay away from them.  Last summer I went to a breeder and picked out two great dane puppies, they were 8 weeks old.  The breeder wanted to keep them with the mother until they were at least 12 weeks old, but we waited until they were 15 weeks.

Also, two litters in one year may not be good either.  All of the reputable breeders I now suggest that one litter a year is enough.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 11:05:34 AM EST
Sounds like you're doing what you can. Talk to your Vet and see if they recommend anything, that's usually a safe bet for good advice. Love your pit and it will love you. Good luck with your new puppy, and all of the things your new puppy will like to get into. I'm going through the same thing right now, except mine's a bit older.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 11:13:42 AM EST
Sometimes the mothers get upset that the puppies are getting teeth and their teets get sore and chapped. Could be the mother is sick. Nursing takes alot out of them and they need extra calcium, water, food, etc.

Look into powdered puppy milk mixed with kibble in a blender to mush it up. I'd be a little worried that the puppy isn't getting some of the antibodies and good stuff from mom at this young age. Ask your vet as well.

I hate to say it but lotta backyard breeders out there don't know shit.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 11:17:58 AM EST
Moving forward, crate train your puppy.  You and the puppy both will be much happier and better off because of it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 11:26:47 AM EST
You can keep the puppy if it is happy and doing everything ok. Baby it. I agree completely with the crate training. Just about to go out and work and said "Get in your cages" and all six of mine ran into their crates to await their bisquit.

Report the breeder to the local SPCA

Link Posted: 1/21/2009 11:59:26 AM EST
Puppies are usually beginning the weaning process between three and four weeks of age.  By five or six weeks, the mother is doing minimal nursing, but will continue to nurture the pups in most cases.  The teeth and claws can be daunting, especially if it is a larger litter.

At five weeks of age, the puppy should be on watered down puppy kibble (I recommend Pro Plan from Purina).  By six to eight weeks you can begin floating the kibble but feeding it closer to it's intended form than to oatmeal consistency.  Esbilac (puppy milk replacer) can be constipating and cows milk can have a laxative effect.  Be sure to worm your puppy regularly and vaccinations can begin as early as eight weeks.  Consult your veterinarian about worming, vaccinations, and to get a health examination.

Besides being illegal in most states to sell puppies before they are eight weeks of age, the biggest concern is socialization.  Puppies need to learn from their litter mates how to behave properly.  Biting, fighting, and sexual play are normal for this age.  But, the litter mates and mother teach them how to have some modicum of self control.  As you hoped, your dogs and your family can act as surrogates in this situation, if your dogs are gentle with the puppy.  Monitor the interactions with your other dogs.  I recommend crate training or the use of a litter pan (just like a cat's litter pan!).  Physiological maturity of the bladder will dictate when you can be successful at potty training.  Plan to take the puppy out at least every four hours (which can be extended by an hour a month ... up to about eight hours without a pee break).

Plan to have three or four good play periods per day with the puppy.  You can begin training at this age, just be gentle.  Praise is the best reward.  Behavior modification programs are some of the best forms of training.  

I am a breeder and happen to have had a litter on December 13th as well.  However, I have Dalmatians not pit bulls.  I haven't even decided for certain which dog will be a show dog and which will be pets, much less had hearing tested (BAER testing) or given them the Volhard temperament test.  I would never let a pup out of my home before 8 weeks as it definitely gives them lower odds of a good, long life.  But, mostly, I want to be sure I'm giving my pups forever homes rather than temporary housing.  A lot of breeders will microchip their pups to be sure they don't end up in rescues or the ASPCA.  

The bottom line is that if you like THIS puppy, have all the background information necessary and the puppy is healthy according to YOUR vet, keep it.  If it is ill, or isn't registered (and you want it to be) or there are any other issues, take the dog back.  In any case, I would want to find out why the bitch isn't nurturing the pups.  This is a normal weaning time, but the pups need to be with their birth family for a little longer.  This is like sending 13 year olds to college.  They just aren't as prepared as an 18 year old is!  I would be required (as a legitimate breeder) to inform AKC and the local authorities of the breeder's practices if this situation happened to me, in my area.  You are, of course, under no such requirement being a consumer rather than a professional dog breeder.  

If you need any help or information, feel free to contact me.  I may not post often, but I check the boards most days.

Cam
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 6:50:41 AM EST
Good post, Cam, and congrats on the Dal litter!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 3:39:18 AM EST
Quoted:
Yea both my dogs are up to date on shots. The one which is a male and is 3 almost wont leave her alone. Always by her side its very cute Just dident know if anyone had any other advise on the subject. She has a vet apt at 4pm today, Doesent look like any worms in her poop. But bringin a sample for them to look at.

I got my pup a little over a week ago.  I did not see worms for the first 2 days.  On the third day I saw one worm hanging out of his behind.  Took him to get dewormed that afternoon.  About 45 minutes after deworming he was vomiting up 4-6 inch round worms.  The next morning he passed about 25 4-6 inch round worms.  It was awful and horrid!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:04:25 AM EST
The dam should have been wormed prior to breeding, on heartworm preventative that also controls rounds and hooks, and the pups should have been wormed at 2 and 4 weeks (and at  6, 8,  10 weeks as well)  
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 12:34:20 AM EST
My buddy, a champion lineage cocker was given to me by my wonderful wife at age 6 weeks, he is the best dog I have ever had except the typical male cocker things, I can't recall. but there were some typical traits assocaited with early pulling of pups, but aia can't recall what they are
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 1:08:04 AM EST
As soon as all the shots are taken care of and the vet okays it socialize that pup with other dogs and people.  If you have a dog park in the area take advantage of it.  And I'm not just saying that because of the pit bull aspect.
Page General » Pets
Top Top