Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 8:59:20 AM EDT

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - One of Orlando Romero's calves has a leg up on the other 25 calves born within the last two weeks on his ranch east of Tucumcari. The calf was born with an extra leg, with two hooves, growing from its back.

Ranchers in the area aren't quite sure what to make of the little Limousin heifer. That is, if they can catch her.

"She moves like a damn deer. I had a heck of a time trying to catch her," said Jess Weaks, the ranch caretaker. "She's pretty ornery, that's for sure."

The week-old calf's extra leg does not touch the ground. It is attached to the calf's back between the shoulder blades, and hangs to its right side.

(AP) This photo provided by rancher Shane Jennings shows a 5-legged, 6-hooved calf that was born last...
Full Image

The branch-like growth is the only major difference between the copper-colored calf and the rest of the herd, said Shane Jennings, a neighbor who first spotted the heifer.

"It's just cosmetic. She's out there in the pasture right now, like any other cow. The little booger's doing good. It's in real good health," Jennings said.

Jennings was in the field checking on yearlings last week when he saw that one cow was close to giving birth. He left to tend to other work, and when he returned he saw the cow with her new calf.

But he was startled by what he saw when he approached the hours-old calf.

"I thought, 'What in the world is that?' and as I got a closer look and saw the extra leg I said 'Oh boy, what am I gonna come up with next?'" Jennings said.

Jennings said he's seen deformities in calves before and that Tucumcari's ranch supply store used to have a stuffed two-headed, stillborn calf.

"But I've never seen anything like this," he said.

Neither have most people, said Milton Thomas, professor of beef cattle physiology and genetics at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces. He said extra body parts are a freak occurrence.

"It's very, very rare," Thomas said. "Generally, a lot of these don't do well."

Thomas said extra appendages result of a cellular mix up during the replication of genetic material in early embryo development. Certain cells will develop into tissues such as muscles or organs, but some receive skewed signals and grow into unnecessary parts.

"This calf wasn't exposed to anything in the environment or anything like that. This happens to all mammalian species," Thomas said.

Weaks said Romero has talked with veterinarians about removing the leg, and will likely transport the calf to his other ranch in Sapello, where it will become an ordinary cow.

"All (Romero) did was laugh when I told him about the calf," Weaks said. "I think he's gonna keep her. She's so cute. Women would die for eyelashes like hers."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050520/D8A6IVO81.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]
New Mexico?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]
there was a deer killed several years ago near here (west TN) with a 5th leg growing up out of its shoulder....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
My grandfather has had two of these.  We have pictures around here somewhere....

-dan
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Mutation...Mutation....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Was this anywhere near Sandia nuclear lab ??? Ha!

Ed
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Six legs:

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#8]
the end times are here
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
As long as it not a 5 assed cow were all right...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
MMMMMmmm... growth hormones
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]
as useless as a 5 legged cow..

wait, what?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#12]
A museum near our ranch has a stuffed two-headed lamb and the skull of an unknown two-headed animal found on another ranch.

A restaurant further north in Texas has a stuffed two-headed calf above the door.

The San Antonio zoo had a live two-headed snake for years before some lunatic broke into the reptile house and killed it, claiming it was the spawn of Satan.

I've also seen reports of two-headed kittens, turtles, and a bunch of frogs in one pond that have six or seven hind legs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought the bull was just unusually gifted.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 3rd leg.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Pfffft. A chicken with five legs? Now we're talking?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The real question we want answered..............
is how does it taste?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top