20lbs of rice
12 lbs of dried beans, lentils, chickpeas
5lb sugar
1lb salt

Fits in

Home Depot or Lowes:
5 gallon bucket with lid

55,000 calories in a container for $30

Expiration dates say next year, but I know for a fact from eating rice and beans I found in my cupboard 4 years old that it will be fine. Especially if I put a desiccant pack in the bucket too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool beans. (And rice)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Might want to add some spices

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#4]
And by "spices" we mean whiskey
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#5]
CSB,

I know a guy who compiled more than a few (50 or so) of these buckets and then threw them under his house.  Fucking mice got into them and went all Malthusian population bomb... Destroyed all the wiring and tried to chew into sewer pipes under the house.  It was epic.  There were waves of mice, so many that when you went down there, they would pile up into a corner in fear and the weight of all the mice would kill the mice on the bottom.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I am definitely not a prepper, but IIRC you'll need something to remove the O2 from your storage container or else it is pretty much useless.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

absolutely. I was just interested in doing about the cheapest/simplest "bucket o food"

Spices would be a near must. It would get boring quick.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am definitely not a prepper, but IIRC you'll need something to remove the O2 from your storage container or else it is pretty much useless.

I had a bag of rice sitting in my open air cupboard for 4 years, ate it and it was fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:00:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CSB,

I know a guy who compiled more than a few (50 or so) of these buckets and then threw them under his house.  Fucking mice got into them and went all Malthusian population bomb... Destroyed all the wiring and tried to chew into sewer pipes under the house.  It was epic.  There were waves of mice, so many that when you went down there, they would pile up into a corner in fear and the weight of all the mice would kill the mice on the bottom.

HOLY SHI'ITE!

The mice chewed through a plastic pickle bucket?

No flame bro, but does this happen? Can mice do that?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And by "spices" we mean whiskey

I home brew. Got it covered.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
CSB,

I can't see myself making more than 5 or 6 buckets like this.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a bag of rice sitting in my open air cupboard for 4 years, ate it and it was fine.

Absolutely and admitted. My kid used to have a bucket of dried brown beans that he used to play with when he was little. He's drving now and we found the bucket while cleaning some stuff out of the laundry room. Didn't eat them but they still looked good to go. I'd have rinsed them over night and then boiled them as usual if I was starving and I bet they'd still be good.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
CSB,

Aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!

That is some funny ( but true) shit!

Preparing for the apocalypse, defeated by mice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:10:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
CSB,

HOLY SHI'ITE!

The mice chewed through a plastic pickle bucket?

No flame bro, but does this happen? Can mice do that?

I have seen them chew through 3/4th inch plywood, roofing shingles, drywall, books, etc.   I am sure someone else will chime in on the amazing shit they can chew through.  only glass or metal or sometimes steel wool can stop a determined mouse or rat.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:11:51 AM EDT
[#16]
How do you keep the weevils out?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#17]
What about this stuff?

http://wisefoodstorage.com/ultimate-prepper-pack-2.html

25 year shelf life!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#18]
We found about 3 lbs of marijuana in the attic of a rent house back in college. Neighborhood legend had it that there had been a typical college-town dope dealer that lived there several years before. When he got busted they said that the police only found a fraction of what the guy was moving.

By closest estimate, the stuff had been up there about 5 years. The mice had a gorge-fest on it. All of the seeds were eaten and only empty hulls remained. The grass itself had turned to dust and was full of mouse turds. We called the cops and they came out to look at it. They threw it in the front yard and ground it into the lawn with boot heels. It wasn't even worth booking into evidence.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
CSB,

Grooooooss!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

compare that INSANE price with this...
these buckets are good for about a month for one person in theory, that is for three months for two people.
six of these would be $180 VS $2,629.00 for that...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Storing food under house= Fail
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We found about 3 lbs of marijuana in the attic of a rent house back in college. Neighborhood legend had it that there had been a typical college-town dope dealer that lived there several years before. When he got busted they said that the police only found a fraction of what the guy was moving.

By closest estimate, the stuff had been up there about 5 years. The mice had a gorge-fest on it. All of the seeds were eaten and only empty hulls remained. The grass itself had turned to dust and was full of mouse turds. We called the cops and they came out to look at it. They threw it in the front yard and ground it into the lawn with boot heels. It wasn't even worth booking into evidence.

FUCKERS.  Same guy as in my other story tried growing a weed patch out in the forest.  Fertilized it, tended it, weeded it checked it out.  He was going to give it 2 more days before harvest and when he went back, the deer had ate it all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:26:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I heard if you can make an airtight seal, you are supposed to pack it with dry ice, which will displace all the oxygen with CO2. the trick is to keep the CO2 from leaking out over time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I heard if you can make an airtight seal, you are supposed to pack it with dry ice, which will displace all the oxygen with CO2. the trick is to keep the CO2 from leaking out over time.

seal with wax?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:33:11 AM EDT
[#25]
You might want to make sure the buckets are food grade plastic and put the food in mylar pouches sealed with an O2 absorber or two in them
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

these buckets are good for about a month for one person in theory, that is for three months for two people.

yes six buckets of no nutrients and little protein. your six buckets contain no vitiams no minerals not enough protein, no vegetable products. no fruit products.

enjoy dying of scurvy eating that bucket of carbs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:37:32 AM EDT
[#27]
jesus christ not one of you know anything about food storage.

MYLAR.

O2 ABSORBERS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:37:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

seal with wax?

What about a bead of food grade silicone sealant inside the groove in the lid?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Add a mix of oils.  Look up essential fatty acids and choose wisely.  Your body needs certain fatty acids, these would be essential.  Essential to nervous and endocrine system health.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:40:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

yes six buckets of no nutrients and little protein. your six buckets contain no vitiams no minerals not enough protein, no vegetable products. no fruit products.

The only vitamins missing are A and C.  D is synthesized by UV on skin.  Rice and beans combined contain all essential amino acids.  Plenty of Ca, Mg, Zn, P, K and Fe, especially if it is enriched rice.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

seal with wax?

What about a bead of food grade silicone sealant inside the groove in the lid?

again MYLAR.

and most buckets, especially food grade buckets, and yes the homer buckets have a rubber seal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

Add 5 cans of tuna or salmon, a #10 can of freeze dried chicken, a #10 can of freeze dried vegetables and a box of Emergen'C vitamin C and you're set for a long long time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

Add 5 cans of tuna or salmon, a #10 can of freeze dried chicken, a #10 can of freeze dried vegetables and a box of Emergen'C vitamin C and you're set for a long long time.

wet pack canned foods don't have the shelf life for LTS. but the freeze dried veggies are spot on. add freeze dried fruit to that, wheat and wheat grinder and you're getting somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Mix in quinoa, apparently it's got all the nutrients you need.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

MYLAR.

O2 ABSORBERS.

Sorry dad.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#36]
oh and if you live in a real state (aka one with a Publix) check them out I picked up another 60 lbs of rice sunday night for $20 and change. thats about 34 cents a lb cheaper than fart mart.

also you need throw in dehydrated eggs and powdered milk.

nido which is a nestle product is usually iun the hispanic section of your grocer is powdered WHOLE milk. much better for baking and drinking.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:52:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

MYLAR.

O2 ABSORBERS.

Sorry dad.

look if I didn't give two shits about you people I'd sit here, laugh and be all like "ha ha noobs gonna starve"

don't wanna see that.

fyi amazon has great prices on o2 absorbers and mylar. and iron and a flat stick do a good job of sealing it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MYLAR.

O2 ABSORBERS.

Sorry dad.

look if I didn't give two shits about you people I'd sit here, laugh and be all like "ha ha noobs gonna starve"

don't wanna see that.

fyi amazon has great prices on o2 absorbers and mylar. and iron and a flat stick do a good job of sealing it.

Im just kidding.  you are dead on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:59:11 AM EDT
[#39]
i appoligize. i'm on day 9 in a row of working. i've lost my sense of humor and am drinking coffee this morning. i'm not a coffee drinker.

oh that reminds me. buy green coffee beans for storage. they last a year under the right conditions without roasting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd rather die than eat that shit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i appoligize. i'm on day 9 in a row of working. i've lost my sense of humor and am drinking coffee this morning. i'm not a coffee drinker.

oh that reminds me. buy green coffee beans for storage. they last a year under the right conditions without roasting.

no worries lol.  
if you get in a pinch, you can sprout the beans (not coffee beans obviously) for 3 days and avoid scurvy, they will make their own Vitamin C
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

absolutely. I was just interested in doing about the cheapest/simplest "bucket o food"

Spices would be a near must. It would get boring quick.

Third world problem...
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can we store caviar and crumpets and fine teas?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#46]
That bucket requires a lot of water "per meal"

It will also store much longer if you throw in a small block of dry ice and some O2 absorbers.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#47]
I vac pack my rice, beans and such. Lasts a hell of alot longer
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about this stuff?

25 year shelf life!

wet pack canned foods don't have the shelf life for LTS. but the freeze dried veggies are spot on. add freeze dried fruit to that, wheat and wheat grinder and you're getting somewhere.

Hormel heart attacks in a can (Dinty Moore, chili, etc) claim an indefinite shelf life.  I'd hate to depend on them for vitamin content though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks for the helpful post mjohn.  if you would like some ham with those rice and beans you should check out the Dak Canned Hams, , they're canned 1 pound hams with a 3.5 to 4 year shelf life.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MYLAR.

O2 ABSORBERS.

Sorry dad.

don't wanna see that.

Thanks. This was/is just a start. I fully intend to expand vitamin content, protein content, O2 absorbers.

What is the purpose of the mylar?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top