User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2004 9:14:15 PM EDT
linky

vid link

Large weapons cache found inside man's home

October 29, 2004

- By John Capell and KATU Web Staff
Beaverton, Ore. - A Beaverton man is under arrest after police seized a large cache of weapons from his home, including a fully loaded anti-aircraft weapon that was pointed out of a window at the street.

Twenty-nine-year-old Jason Laureno, whose home is located on Southwest 101st Avenue in Beaverton, is currently being held by federal marshals at the Justice Center in downtown Portland.

Watch Friday's press conference

Police have not said whether Laureno was involved in any terrorist or extremist plot, but they did say that the cache of weapons they seized from his home was staggering.

Kate Gassner lives in the neighborhood and says she had no idea what was hidden behind Laureno's closed doors.

"Oh my goodness. I'm just shocked. I just had to walk down to make sure it was my street," she told KATU News.

Inside Laureno's home, police found a fully loaded .50 caliber anti-aircraft weapon that was pointed right out at the street through a window.

The weapon, which is over five feet long and weighs almost 130 pounds, is capable of blasting out between 400 and 550 rounds a minute and accurately hitting a target 2,500 yards away.

The weapon is meant to bring down enemy aircraft.

Next to that weapon was another .50 caliber machine gun that was also ready to fire.

Police also discovered a cache of other machine guns and automatic weapons - more than two dozen in all.

Federal authorities also seized 100 marijuana plants from Laureno's home.

"We'd always been a bit concerned because we thought we could smell marijuana," said neighbor Don Watson. "And from time to time we would see him carry a gun in. You know, it is the hunting season and you don't think too much about it. He seemed awfully nice."

Watson says looking back, Laureno did make what now seems like threats aimed at the Beaverton Police Department and the Mayor's office.

"He had indicated that people should not mess with him from those agencies because they would find out what life was all about," he said.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought Taxman lived in Georgia....
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
What did they think he was going to hunt with an AA gun?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Big Bird.

Still a dumb ass though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big Bird.

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
This was reported the day it happened.

Whether or not he legallthy had possesion of any of the equipment, he was a drug dealer and as such would have his weapons confiscated upon arrest.  If he's a criminal, he probably didn't legally own the class 3 stuff anyway.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I know pot can make one paranoid, but jeez a loaded .50 in the house?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Man give the dude a break. He was ready to smoke some weed and wait for the DUers to come out on the 3rd. He was ready for SHTF
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This was reported the day it happened.

Whether or not he legallthy had possesion of any of the equipment, he was a drug dealer and as such would have his weapons confiscated upon arrest.  If he's a criminal, he probably didn't legally own the class 3 stuff anyway.

I don't know...
selling all that weed was probably the only way he could afford legal class 3 stuff.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
How much do you think a 50 caliber anti aricraft weapon would cost?

That would probably be the only destructive device (other then an anti personnell machine gun) that I would want to own.

If the people living in and around Manhattan had a few of these and some radar,  I bet they sould of saved alot of lives when they noticed two airplanes flying at their city where they shouldnt of been.  

I would probably buy one.  You never know.  Id hate for a 747 to crash into my home or a nearby city.   Think one of these could chew up a incoming 747 into debris?

Link Posted: 10/31/2004 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Id love to hear what they found inside his house too.  Sounds like cool stuff.  Growing pot was his downfall.  100 plants?  Thats alot of weed.  Im surprised his house wasnt visible from thermal imaging from outer space.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

He was ready for SHTF

He was 100% ready.  I don't know he was ready for, but he was ready.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:39:43 AM EDT
[#12]
As usual this story has gotten blown way out of proportion.  As far as I know there may have been one FA weapon.  The crew served weapons were on their tripods in a room and the barrel just happened to be pointed at a window in that room, not "out of the window".

He had a medical marijuana card.  It was a simple pot bust and the guy didn't offer any resistance at all.  Yes, some of the semiautos were loaded.

Give it a couple of more days and he will be Osama himself.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
linky

vid link

The weapon, which is over five feet long and weighs almost 130 pounds, is capable of blasting out between 400 and 550 rounds a minute and accurately hitting a target 2,500 yards away.

The weapon is meant to bring down enemy aircraft.

Next to that weapon was another .50 caliber machine gun that was also ready to fire.

Accurate at 2500 yards.... I call .... accurate at hitting something the size of a 747 at 2500 yards.... maybe...
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:21:29 AM EDT
[#14]
How many puppies did he kill?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:13:14 AM EDT
[#15]
With all this .50 caliber ban nonsense in a number of states, what's going to happen with the S&W .500 magnum?  It's a pistol, after all.  So, the liberals/commies have people fooled and a simple revolver will be banned an several states?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:14:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big Bird.

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I know pot can make one paranoid, but jeez a loaded .50 in the house?

Maybe he was worried about a Saquatch tearing up his pot plants?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top