BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2009 10:00:02 AM EDT
Link to article

50 Palestinians evicted from their Jerusalem homes
By BEN HUBBARD, Associated Press Writer Ben Hubbard, Associated Press Writer 45 mins ago

JERUSALEM – Israeli police evicted two Palestinian families in east Jerusalem on Sunday, then allowed Jewish settlers to move into their homes, drawing criticism from Palestinians, the United Nations and the State Department.

Police arrived before dawn and cordoned off part of the Arab neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah before forcibly removing more than 50 people, said Chris Gunness, spokesman for the U.N. agency in charge of Palestinian refugees.

U.N. staff later saw vehicles bringing Jewish settlers to move into the homes, he said.

Israeli police cited a ruling by the country's Supreme Court that the houses belonged to Jews and that the Arab families had been living there illegally.

Gunness said the families had lived in the homes for more than 50 years.

The status of east Jerusalem is one of the most explosive issues in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Israel took control of east Jerusalem in the 1967 Mideast war and annexed it, a move not recognized by any other country. Since then, Israel has to boosted the Jewish presence there, building neighborhoods where about 180,000 Jews live. The Palestinians want east Jerusalem as the capital of their hoped-for state.

Organizations linked to the Jewish West Bank settlement movement also have bought properties inside Palestinian neighborhoods in Jerusalem and moved Israelis in.

About 270,000 Palestinians live in east Jerusalem, or 35 percent of the city's total population of 760,000.

The international community has pressured Israel to refrain from evicting Palestinians and building new homes for Jews in east Jerusalem, saying such moves hamper peacemaking efforts.

State Department spokeswoman Megan Mattson said such actions in east Jerusalem constitute violations of Israel's obligations under U.S.-backed "road map" peace plan.

"Unilateral actions taken by either party cannot prejudge the outcome of negotiations and will not be recognized by the international community," she said in a statement.

Robert Serry, the U.N. Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, called Sunday's evictions "totally unacceptable."

"These actions heighten tensions and undermine international efforts to create conditions for fruitful negotiations to achieve peace," he said in a statement.

Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat also condemned the move.

"While Israeli authorities have promised the American administration that home demolitions, home evictions and other provocations against Palestinian Jerusalemites would be stopped, what we've seen on the ground is completely the opposite," he said in a statement.

Khawla Hanoun, 35, who lived in one of the homes, said police ordered her and 16 family members to leave the house before dawn and forced them out at gunpoint when they refused.

"Now our future is in the streets," she said. "We will remain steadfast until we return home. By any method, we must go back home."
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3qR2H4jGY&feature=related

Video of the evictions taking place.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#6]
So why exactly where they evicted?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because we were nice enough not to kill their families in 1967.

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You noticed that, too?  The article isn't really news, because it lacks that key detail.  It's an implication of wrongdoing due to bigotry, but it never comes out and says it.

This is how media takes an activist role in events.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]

The Arab families, who were given notices of the pending eviction several weeks ago, cooperated with police, but expressed anger at the move

nonetheless. After being evicted, they stayed behind a barrier set up by the police a short distance from the front of the house. After being evacuated and their property confiscated by Israeli authorities, they tried to put a banner on the building but were repelled by the police.

"I was born in this house and my children were also born in this house. I have documents from the Jordanian government," Maher Hanoun, one of the evacuees, told Army Radio. "Now the settlers have moved into my home and I'm on the street. Where will I go?"

The claim was based on the fact that Sheikh Jarrah was a Jewish neighborhood prior to the establishment of the state; the settlers who moved in the houses were not direct descendants of the owners; according to their own account, the Hanouns and Ghawis have been living in the homes previously deserted by their Jewish owners since the early 1950s.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You noticed that, too?  The article isn't really news, because it lacks that key detail.  It's an implication of wrongdoing due to bigotry, but it never comes out and says it.

It would be nice to know what the exact reason was why the court decided they didnt own those homes anymore.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#11]
By and large I support Israel’s right to exist, but it doesn’t mean they are infallible. It is kind of like the U.S. Govt condemning property and evicting the residents to build a highway, school, or some other project…
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It would be nice to know what the exact reason was why the court decided they didnt own those homes anymore.

Jews used to live there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Wanna know why there will never be peace there.....this is one of the reasons why.

I'm afraid the kids that were left homeless will become future terrorists. I have no idea what the answer is, but this can't be the best solution.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Those mean Jews.  Picking on the practitioners of the Religion of Peace. Those Jews are always starting trouble.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[/url]

IBTL
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They were squatters. They just happened to be squatters for a long time. They never purchased the home, never had deed to the home, they just thought finders keepers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well.........................bye.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#18]
IBTSS and IBTL
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were squatters. They just happened to be squatters for a long time. They never purchased the home, never had deed to the home, they just thought finders keepers.

Yep...

Happened on both sides after the Brits pulled out...

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Arab families, who were given notices of the pending eviction several weeks ago, cooperated with police, but expressed anger at the move
nonetheless. After being evicted, they stayed behind a barrier set up by the police a short distance from the front of the house. After being evacuated and their property confiscated by Israeli authorities, they tried to put a banner on the building but were repelled by the police.

"I was born in this house and my children were also born in this house. I have documents from the Jordanian government," Maher Hanoun, one of the evacuees, told Army Radio. "Now the settlers have moved into my home and I'm on the street. Where will I go?"

The claim was based on the fact that Sheikh Jarrah was a Jewish neighborhood prior to the establishment of the state; the settlers who moved in the houses were not direct descendants of the owners; according to their own account, the Hanouns and Ghawis have been living in the homes previously deserted by their Jewish owners since the early 1950s.

I might have documents from Canada saying I own my house, but that doesn't do me much good if the state of Texas decides to evict me for non-payment, now does it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Those mean Jews.  Picking on the practitioners of the Religion of Peace. Those Jews are always starting trouble.

The goddamn Israelis brutalize the Christian Palestinians just like they brutalize the Muslim Palestinians.

When they want land for the immigrants they don’t give a shit about being Muslim or Christian.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

By and large I support Israel’s right to exist, but it doesn’t mean they are infallible. It is kind of like the U.S. Govt condemning property and evicting the residents to build a highway, school, or some other project…

The U.S. has been doing that for years
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might have documents from Canada saying I own my house, but that doesn't do me much good if the state of Texas decides to evict me for non-payment, now does it.

Right, and when Tejas became Texas, all property claims and rights when out the window, huh?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Good. Now they just need to remove the rest of them and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You nailed it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You nailed it.

We are all squatters at some point or another.  Jews and Muslims have alternately lived in the same areas for who knows how long.  Was there another group before them.

American Indians could claim the same thing about my house.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is how the MEDIA will explain Obamas Actions OR LACK of action should there be another war between the EVIL HEARTLESS Jews, and the Palistinians, the syrians, the iranians, etc...
Isreal is Poking the bear here IMHO,,trying to spark syria or iran and get things going..and finished
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We are all squatters at some point or another.  Jews and Muslims have alternately lived in the same areas for who knows how long.  Was there another group before them.

Tell you what, you deal with the Indians and the Israelis will deal with the Palestinians.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Israeli police cited a ruling by the country's Supreme Court that the houses belonged to Jews and that the Arab families had been living there illegally.

/thread.

the supreme court is not even remotely nationalistic, conservative or even centrist - its a leftist stronghold.

If they approved it, believe me they tried every way to screw over the Jews.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#31]
IB5
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
IB5

Beat me to it!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Maybe they thought Obama was going to pay their mortgage?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IB5

You know I actually miss that "alta kocker".
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess the Jews figure that fair is fair.  The Germans did the same thing to them in the 30s and 40s.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IB5

Miss?

Did something happen to him the month I was away?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, and when Tejas became Texas, all property claims and rights when out the window, huh?

How many Spanish Land Grants have you seen us honoring lately?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You nailed it.

So you don't pay taxes for your home? You don't make payments on the house either? Maybe you just built a house on someone else's property and moved in, is that it?

No? None of those apply? Then your comparison is stupid.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is how the MEDIA will explain Obamas Actions OR LACK of action should there be another war between the EVIL HEARTLESS Jews, and the Palistinians, the syrians, the iranians, etc...
Isreal is Poking the bear here IMHO,,trying to spark syria or iran and get things going..and finished

If they want to do that, then the next time they're fumigating the cockroaches in Palestine they ought to just finish the fucking job. Once the only Palestinians left are the ones who don't launch rockets into neighborhoods, blow up schoolbuses full of children, or hide behind women and children so they can shoot at jews, problem solved.

And if it gets another war with Syria, Iran, Jordan, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia launching attacks at Israel...  אלוהים יודע שלו.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#40]
too bad palestine doesn't exist
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I guess the Jews figure that fair is fair.  The Germans did the same thing to them in the 30s and 40s.

Did you seriously just compare the Izzies to the fucking Nazis?

Yeah, the nerve of those dirty jews, evicting squatters living on land illegally, shooting back at terrorists who behead civilians and bomb schools. It's just like when the krauts were rounding up jews, sticking them in concentration camps, and gassing them en masse! Yeah, that's it!

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IB5

Miss?

Did something happen to him the month I was away?

I just replied to his post in team about politicians so he is still around.

Most likely avoiding the Israel threads so his blood pressure does not spike.

H
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
too bad palestine doesn't exist

This, also it was the seat of Solomon's temple a few thousand years before Hagar the Egyptian (aka: Muhammed) decided to give up used camel sales and start his own little cult. The kind where he wouldn't have to give up his pedophilia...

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:50:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now? About 150 years later? Probably not many. But when Texas joined the US, Spanish deeds found to be legitimate were honored.

Kicking out a few Palis might appeal to the dorks around here who see the whole region there as nothing but a big sporting event, but it's a stupid move that does nothing to help Israel.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now? About 150 years later? Probably not many. But when Texas joined the US, Spanish deeds found to be legitimate were honored.

Kicking out a few Palis might appeal to the dorks around here who see the whole region there as nothing but a big sporting event, but it's a stupid move that does nothing to help Israel.

You are contradicting yourself. Jews held deed to those properties, not the Jordanians(Pali's) squatting there. The property was in Jewish possession before 1948. The homeowners fled in the chaos to safer locations. Now they want it back. By your logic, if Spanish deeds were honored, then shouldn't Jordanian deeds, held by Jews be honored?
I think rule of law does help Israel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Nazis used that same kind of rational when they evicted Jewish families from homes and gave the homes to the Aryans.  They said Germany was for Germans and the Jews didn't belong.

It was immoral for the Nazis to do it and it is immoral for the Israelis to steal land from the Palestinians whose families have been living there for generations.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.........................bye.

^ This.

No love for the camel jokeys here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:15:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the Nazis used that same kind of rational when they evicted Jewish families from homes and gave the homes to the Aryans.  They said Germany was for Germans and the Jews didn't belong.

It was immoral for the Nazis to do it and it is immoral for the Israelis to steal land from the Palestinians whose families have been living there for generations.

Go back to DU you Troll.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:31:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not remotely comparable, these Palestinians did not own the houses they were staying in.  They also are not going to slave labor camps.

But what I have a problem with is the Israeli government taking their possessions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top