Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/8/2014 9:08:59 AM EDT
A guy I know is hurting for cash and 5000 rounds of .22 in a sealed ammo can, is $350 a fair price in todays market?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Going for .05 a round at cabelas
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Early signs of neckbeard .22 bubble burst?

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not something I'd pay, but $35 a brick is cheaper than a lot of places are selling it for.

If it's Rem Golden Bullets, run away.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#5]
My guess in the next year you'll see many huge lots of .22 come on the market.

I'll wait until desperation sets in.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Federal 550 round bulk packs are $23.75 at walmart.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#7]
So, would $300 be a fair offer? I like the guy and don't want to nail him to bad, but I don't want to hurt myself either. He's out of work and trying to keep his family afloat and I don't need it so its kind of a charity buy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds a little high to me.  The only way I'd bite is if I was really just trying to help a friend out and it was CCI.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]
$35 a brick. It depends what kind of ammo it is I guess.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, would $300 be a fair offer? I like the guy and don't want to nail him to bad, but I don't want to hurt myself either. He's out of work and trying to keep his family afloat and I don't need it so its kind of a charity buy.
View Quote

What kind?

Remington golden bullets? No

CCI? Maybe.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#11]
1000rnds of winchester AR .22 for $49 at walmart.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then buy it and help the gut out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What kind?

CCI? Maybe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind?

CCI? Maybe.

about 3000 CCI, 1000 Rem and 1000 Blazer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's fair, given current environment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I would give him between 300 and 350 if he was a buddy hard up, even if he is making a few bucks on the deal still. Not sure about your area but he could  still get 10-13 cents a round for it here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Also, whats the deal with Rem? I have been shooting them since I was a kid and have not herd any bad about them until ARF.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also, whats the deal with Rem? I have been shooting them since I was a kid and have not herd any bad about them until ARF.
View Quote

yup, still got more than a few milk cartons left. Always treated me well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why buy at an inflated price?

Maybe he should have spent more time preparing his finances better instead of loading up on ammo to overcharge people on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he should have spent more time preparing his finances better instead of loading up on ammo to overcharge people on.

He didn't "load up on ammo to overcharge people on." He  was laid off about 4 months ago and is selling his personal reserve, not neckbearding
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
So is my Wal Mart the only one without any 22 in it?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Haven't seen any .22 in my local WallyWorld for a year and a half.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haven't seen a box at my Walmart in a couple years.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#23]
If you think it is too much or just don't want it don't buy it. He will have no problem selling it for that price to someone else who needs ammo in this market.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind?

CCI? Maybe.

Are you planning to sell these or add them to your ammo fort?  It's a tougher price to set if you're going to sell as opposed to just adding them to your stockpile, in which case my only concern would be to not over-gouge myself with the charity buy.  It's one thing if a buddy was selling some ammo to fund another toy, another if he's selling for his family.  I'd tend to overpay for the latter.  My reccomendation, go on Gunbroker and look up recent completed auctions for .22LR.  Based on a rough average of some sales will give you a fairly accurate price for what that .22 stockpile would actually sell for on the open market.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#25]
hahaha

nope

More like $150

ETA:  if it's a charity buy......offer what you can afford and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I would say the .06 for the convenience of not having to shop around for 5000 rounds of ammo is probably worth it. Even if you didn't know that situation, how long would it take you to come by that much .22? And if you had the time you would probably average somewhere around .05 for it anyways.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are you planning to sell these or add them to your ammo fort?  It's a tougher price to set if you're going to sell as opposed to just adding them to your stockpile, in which case my only concern would be to not over-gouge myself with the charity buy.  It's one thing if a buddy was selling some ammo to fund another toy, another if he's selling for his family.  I'd tend to overpay for the latter.  My reccomendation, go on Gunbroker and look up recent completed auctions for .22LR.  Based on a rough average of some sales will give you a fairly accurate price for what that .22 stockpile would actually sell for on the open market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind?

CCI? Maybe.

I tend to not sell ammo, if I sell it, I can't shoot it
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#30]
What kind of ammo?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That still doesn't negate the fact that he should have had his finances together.

The fact that he is asking that much money for .22 lr is absurd and what is even more absurd is that you are thinking of paying that much for it.

You can "help" your friend all you want but there is no way in hell I would pay $350 for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't "load up on ammo to overcharge people on." He  was laid off about 4 months ago and is selling his personal reserve, not neckbearding

That still doesn't negate the fact that he should have had his finances together.

The fact that he is asking that much money for .22 lr is absurd and what is even more absurd is that you are thinking of paying that much for it.

You can "help" your friend all you want but there is no way in hell I would pay $350 for it.

I am there. I get that its still panic 22 Season but no way im paying that price.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be nice to be rich.

I have been dropping almost every dime I make into becoming debt free, if I lost my job tomorrow I be good for about four months myself before I started selling shit to pay the bills. Selling shit off would get me another 10-12 months.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What kind of ammo?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#34]
If it was a friend I was wanting to help out I'd pay it and not dicker. It's not such a gross overprice as to be obscene so I'd buy and shoot. But that's me, I tend to try and help those few I consider real friends.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live within 5 miles of 3 stores.

Same story.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A guy I know is hurting for cash and 5000 rounds of .22 in a sealed ammo can, is $350 a fair price in todays market?
View Quote

That was for sale at Walmart a few years back in a metal ammo can for $99.00
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Early signs of neckbeard .22 bubble burst?

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would say the .06 for the convenience of not having to shop around for 5000 rounds of ammo is probably worth it. Even if you didn't know that situation, how long would it take you to come by that much .22? And if you had the time you would probably average somewhere around .05 for it anyways.
View Quote

Probably 2-3 days with an ammo app on the phone
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it was cheap a few years ago, My question is todays market.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#42]
In my opinion, buying 5K rounds of .22 from him for $350 is much better than loaning or giving him $350.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Personally I wouldn't pay over $250.  If you want to help the guy out and you have the cash I think $300 would be ok.  

For a good friend I might even just give him the $300 if I could afford it.  I wouldn't expect it to be paid back and it would be a one time gift.

ETA:  There probably 2 guys on the list of friends I do that for though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Im not rich by any stretch of the imagination. I do take my finances seriously though especially for my family. Part of having a family is being prepared and responsible for their needs.

Selling stuff to pay the bills is fine but trying to sell stuff for inflated prices because you are not prepared and charging your friends more that what it is worth is BS.

He could always take a job that gives him some pay even though it may not be what he wants to make.
View Quote

Not sure what your job market is, but its almost impossible to get a job here. Hes not just sitting around with his thumb up his ass or a no skill schlub, He has a masters and is a skilled tradesman. He is out 5 days a week, at the job service every day, dropping apps almost every day, and has worked his whole life. The most common rejection is the bullshit "over qualified" crap, every fast food joint in town has turned him down.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#45]
If he was my friend then hell yes I'd give him 350.

You'd have to be a douche not to help a friend out in this situation.

Now, if he's not your friend I'd offer him 250.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Federal 550 round bulk packs are $23.75 at walmart.
View Quote

My Walmart is still infested with neck beards.  Haven't seen .22lr there since the great panic.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Personally I wouldn't pay over $250.  If you want to help the guy out and you have the cash I think $300 would be ok.  

For a good friend I might even just give him the $300 if I could afford it.  I wouldn't expect it to be paid back and it would be a one time gift.
View Quote

Not a "good friend", he is someone I have known for about 15 years though. we go shooting or fishing occasionally and we have been to each others place for a BBQ a couple times but I don't talk to once or twice a month.

ETA: I think I will offer him $300 and set a couple of boxes aside and give them to his kids on their birthdays so they can shoot since this is every round of .22 he has. I'll add the rest to my ammo fort.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I felt the same way. I haven't seen any .22 in my local walmart in almost a year. Local gander mountain gets some but unfortunately I have a day job and can't sit there and wait for themn to open. Also, I am in NY some many places won't ship to NY due to the SAFE act. So while you may be able to use a phone app to obtain ammo, I cannot. So for me, the convience of being able to instantly have 5000 rounds would be worth overpaying a friend .01 a round.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not a "good friend", he is someone I have known for about 15 years though. we go shooting or fishing occasionally and we have been to each others place for a BBQ a couple times but I don't talk to once or twice a month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

then i would offer him 250.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top