Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2002 9:07:45 AM EDT
Does anyone see a problem with 4x4ing in my own yard even though I live on 1/3 of an acre in a development?

My second car at age 16 was a 1973 F-250 with a 460, 35" tires and I used to 4x4 everywhere. Even on a golf course during the "blizzard" of '93.

Now that I am all grown up and no longer work on a farm or a resort with a golf course, sit in a fricken office all day, live in suburbia and drive a mini-suv I still have the urge to eat red meat and drive a 4x4, even if it is in my yard.

My "lot" is mostly up hill with a plateau in the middle.  Traction was not a desired effect so I locked it in 4x4 and gunned it. Woohoo up the drive way, started to slide sideways around the house, around the swingset, garden and the back door where my two year old daughter was pointing at me and smiling while saying "daddy" as I drove by (I can read lips).  It wasn't enough, another round.  Finally I drove around the neighborhood, normally, on the side of the street that wasn't plowed.

Upon returning home my wife says, "Did you get that out of your system now?" in a very what will the neighbors think tone of voice. I love my wife dearly but told her that the men were probably jealous and their wives thought it was immature and that those thoughts are normal. I then informed her that I was satisfied for now but the urge may strike again later.

So, whatdayathink?  In case you are wondering, there are not any local places that I know of where I can go 4x4ing w/o getting in trouble with the law.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I think your name fits. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd say what ever floats your boat but it doesnt sound to much like 4x4'n to me. I  like the shit in Moab, and Hubbards cave is a pretty good trail. We did that one about 2 am in the morning one time, and the winch IS required on that trail regardless of how you take it.

KC
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#3]
this is an odd post.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
this is an odd post.
View Quote

I think there are some others that are a lot more odd than this but, to each his own.

I know this is not serious 4x4ing but it is my little bit 'o fun. Serious 4x4ing was me growing up around "The Columbia Hill Climbers" but that was a looonngg time ago.

Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell, you live in PA and can't find some old logging trails?  Try harder!  

And the hell with the neighbors.  The guys are most likely whimps anyway.   Buy yourself a Ford turbo diesel 4x4 and make some noise.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got one of my kids a new moto-cross bike for Christmas and I can see him tearing up our yard (3/4 acre)on Christmas morning.
I say "have at it" if that's what you want to do and to heck with what the neighbors think.
You own it and that should give you every right.
But then again I'm just a "red neck gun nut".
I want to see a pic of your best jump and not some sissy shit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hell, you live in PA and can't find some old logging trails?  Try harder!  

And the hell with the neighbors.  The guys are most likely whimps anyway.   Buy yourself a Ford turbo diesel 4x4 and make some noise.
View Quote

I live in York, PA and don't think that logging trails are very abundant in the area. I could be wrong.

What I wouldn't do to run open headers with the 460 again....hmmm....
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I want to see a pic of your best jump and not some sissy shit.
View Quote

I stopped jumping a long time ago.  After a few bent drive shafts it was getting a little expensive.  Sorry, no pictures.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I live in York, PA and don't think that logging trails are very abundant in the area. I could be wrong.

What I wouldn't do to run open headers with the 460 again....hmmm....
View Quote

York PA huh? Im in that area almost weelky. I have a map of Jeep trails for that area too. Let me know if you want to go check them out.

[email][email protected][/email]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't take this personally, but, I wouldn't want to live next door to someone with 1/3 of an acre who 4 wheels, or runs his dirt bikes. To maintain good neighbor relations, take your hobby elsewhere where it belongs....
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think your name fits.
View Quote

That's pretty funny!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
My family's property is on an acre plus.  If I saw the neighbor doing what you did (I'm being civil here), I'd probably make sure that the truck made its last run around the yard.  1/3 acre is not big enough to give a safety barrier if something went wrong (ie. brake failure, wheel flies off, etc.).

You never know if a neighbor's kid is playing on the other side of the fence or something.  Take it to the hills, you'll have more fun anyway!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Now that I am all grown up and no longer work on a farm or a resort with a golf course, sit in a fricken office all day, live in suburbia and drive a mini-suv I still have the urge to eat red meat and drive a 4x4, even if it is in my yard."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. You probably like to waste time shooting, too. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#16]
When I lived up in North Dakota 4x4ing through the yard seriously pissed the neighbors. Did bukshot give a damn? No, in fact it influenced the purchase of Flowmasters for increased noise on my f-250 with a 380. In my younger days, I would spend hours building mini walls of snow, taking my truck down the street, and plowing through these walls of snow at 30-40 mph. If I slid out of control, there was always the neighbors house to stop me : )

Spinnin donuts in my Ram 3500 in the office parking lot is sufficient for now, but the boss is irritated when I do it. Does bukshot give a damn?
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone see a problem with shooting in my own yard even though I live on 1/3 of an acre in a development?
My second rifle at age 16 was a ...

Edited to touch up.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Whiskey tango, whiskey tango.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you live near Gunrunner? [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=158288&page=1[/url]

If that was you,Watch out, I met him and he's f'ing HUGE! I think I came up to around his knee!
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
this is an odd post.
View Quote

My father in law had an old mail jeep that he would chase my wife's goat around the yard in.  That was a few years ago before we got married.  I do not think that chasing a goat around the yard in a mail jeep is odd, nor do I think that sliding around your yard is odd.  In fact, I indulge in similar activities from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes when SKSBoy drinks too much, he does laps around his house in his Blazer, then again he lives in the country on 2.5 acres.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top