Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2013 10:35:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/14/2013 5:52:01 PM EST by nisa715]
So next week a company is flying me out for what I would consider a fourth interview. First one was with the recruiter over the phone for about 30 minutes, next was the person in charge of hiring for this position and I spoke with her for about an hour and a half over the phone and the last was with four different people for an hour over Skype. One of the four in the Skype was also the President of the company.

Anyways, today I get a call saying they want to fly me out for an in person interview, but also made it sound like they are still interviewing other people as well. What should I really be expecting? I'm not sure what else they can even ask me after I have already done this three other times. I've never had four interviews before, it has been maybe two at the most. If they are spending the money to fly me out after already interviewing three times do you think it is to really grill me or just meet in person before offering the job? Any input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:40:02 AM EST
It is confirmation for the hiring guy's boss that you are worth hiring. Don't step on your dick and you should be fine.

You need to have a reasonable salary in mind before meeting the boss.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:41:14 AM EST
If they're going through the trouble of flying you out there, it is customary to offer the person doing the interview a handy-j.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:54:48 AM EST
You've got the job unless you do something really stupid. They just want to meet you in person before they make it official (want to make sure that you aren't an ass before hiring you). Be confident without being arrogant. Have a price in mind because they might hit you with an offer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:05:10 AM EST
If they are flying you they are interested. Are they paying relo for the job? But good sign, don't blow it.

Paul

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:07:56 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By paul1911:
If they are flying you they are interested. Are they paying relo for the job? But good sign, don't blow it.

Paul

View Quote

They wouldn't be paying relocation, but this is a move that we have been planning anyways. This job would really just speed up the move a little.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:08:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:11:02 AM EST
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:11:29 AM EST
Show up with a fresh neck tattoo of the companies name it's a guaranteed shoe in closer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:12:35 AM EST
Prepare the anus.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:23:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2013 11:27:24 AM EST by bamaflinger]
Originally Posted By nisa715:
So next week a company is flying me out for what I would consider a fourth interview. First one was with the recruiter over the phone for about 30 minutes, next was the person in charge of hiring for this position and I spoke with her for about an hour and a half over the phone and the last was with four different people for an hour over Skype. One of the four in the Skype was also the President of the company.

Anyways, today I get a call saying they want to fly me out for an in person interview, but also made it sound like they are still interviewing other people as well. What should I really be expecting? I'm not sure what else they can even ask me after I have already done this three other times. I've never had four interviews before, it has been maybe two at the most. If they are spending the money to fly me out after already interviewing three times do you think it is to really grill me or just meet in person before offering the job? Any input is appreciated.
View Quote

The first interview really has nothing to do with the company, the recruiter was just seeing if you would embarrass him/her if he sent you in.

This is a third interview. They basically want to show off their facility/office to you (they are proud of it, typically, ask them questions about it), shake hands face to face, and maybe throw a couple wrinkles at you. I would anticipate they would walk you around, show you what they do, and ask your opinion on certain things that are vital to their organization as you casually walk around. It will be a test, but if you are qualified, it won't be anything horrible.

A little advice:
Smile, a lot. Be pleasant, and upbeat.
Look them in the eye, be interested in what they are saying, from the janitor to the CEO.
Be eager to jump in and help with whatever they need.
Be confident, but not an arrogant douche.
Be prepared to answer why you are leaving/left each previous position (again).
They will likely ask why you are interested in this company/location, and what you know about them. Be specific.
Do not leave the building without telling them you want the job.

Take it however you want, but I do this for a living.

ETA: I noticed some people saying you got the job. DO NOT approach this with that attitude. You may very well have 2 or 3 finalists there interviewing as well. You could also have it in the bag, but do not assume that. Take it seriously, prepare ahead of time, and the interview will be a breeze. You might even enjoy it, I do.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:23:39 AM EST
It means that they're anal about interviewing people.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:48:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By bamaflinger:

The first interview really has nothing to do with the company, the recruiter was just seeing if you would embarrass him/her if he sent you in.

This is a third interview. They basically want to show off their facility/office to you (they are proud of it, typically, ask them questions about it), shake hands face to face, and maybe throw a couple wrinkles at you. I would anticipate they would walk you around, show you what they do, and ask your opinion on certain things that are vital to their organization as you casually walk around. It will be a test, but if you are qualified, it won't be anything horrible.

A little advice:
Look them in the eye, be interested in what they are saying, from the janitor to the CEO.
They will likely ask why you are interested in this company/location, and what you know about them. Be specific.

ETA: I noticed some people saying you got the job. DO NOT approach this with that attitude. You may very well have 2 or 3 finalists there interviewing as well. You could also have it in the bag, but do not assume that. Take it seriously, prepare ahead of time, and the interview will be a breeze. You might even enjoy it, I do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A little advice:

Very well said. I've had follow up interviews (never flown in though) where it sounds like they just want to show off the place before they offer, but you show up and there are 3-4 other people there for the same job and it's only one position. It happens, head up high and do your best to make sure they want you to be the one hired.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:02:44 PM EST
Don't assume anything and don't ease up.

I had 6 interviews with the same company over a period of 2.5 months for a corporate mid level management position when I was in my mid 20s. They are/were a Fortune 500 company and are still around today; If you want a hint, they are usually the preferred cold cut people, out of New York. They had planned on moving their finance operations down south, hence where I came in.

Anyways, 5 interviews into it they say they are going to fly me to corporate in NY. I've already met with the CFO, Director of Finance, HR person, Director of Treasury and God knows who else. At corporate it was supposed to be a tour of the facilities, a few ad hoc conversations with people there and a final talk with the CFO and Director of Finance at which time I assumed we would talk money/hiring. I got on the plane that morning thinking I was coming home with an offer or at least knowing one was coming.

Got there and it was what they said it would be. A tour, a bit of waiting, more tour, lunch. Figured I'd have this mailed in by 3 and head home. Then I randomly get walked into some guys' office I've never talked to, met or knew of. He was a controller of some sort and I was given literally a 3 second introduction; I figured we were going to shoot the shit and it was more of a formality. This guys starts going at it with questions. The problem is, he was asking questions that literally would not pertain to my position pretty much in any company, ever. We played a very painful 30 minute round of him asking a question that may have well been on a medical school exam and me asking him questions to clear up what he was looking for as far as an answer. Painful. At one point I wanted to literally yell at the guy, and he in turn wasn't impressed at all with my answers to his ridiculous questions.

At first I thought this was a planned ambush, to see how I'd do. This was later not proven as the Director of Finance wondered why I was even introduced to speak with him.

Long story short, after that meeting everything seems to have gotten weird. Everything ended there fine, but no offer (I also wasn't as forward about getting one as I am now), and was on my way to the airport an hour later. I still figured, 6 interviews, a flight to NYC, this will happen.

I sent thank you notes, followed up, nothing. 3 weeks after the interview I get my reimbursement check for mileage/parking/misc along with a short generic letter saying thanks for your interests, we're looking for someone with more industry experience. After 6 interviews their excuse is I needed more experience? Like they didn't see my resume until now? Yeah.

I know exactly what happened; that random asshole that I wasn't even supposed to meet with had feedback that destroyed anything of merit in 5 full interviews.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:18:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By gammaecho22:

snip

I know exactly what happened; that random asshole that I wasn't even supposed to meet with had feedback that destroyed anything of merit in 5 full interviews.

View Quote

Don't underestimate the ability of a company to turn the hiring process into a complete clusterfuck. Oh the stories I have.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:24:47 PM EST

Don't underestimate the ability of a company to turn the hiring process into a complete clusterfuck. Oh the stories I have.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gammaecho22:

snip

As bad as most people are at job interviews the people conducting them are often worse.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:41:34 PM EST

A little advice:

View All Quotes

A little advice:

I am definitely not approaching it like I got it. I'm just going to prepare for the next week and go out there and do the best I can I guess. I would love to get this job, but to be honest it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't. Not sure if that is a bad way to look at it, but I think it does calm the nerves a little.

As for the interview with the recruiter, I was considering it a real interview since she actually works for the company and is the main contact. I'm not sure how much say she has when it comes to hiring, but she recruits for the main company which owns a lot of smaller locations throughout the country.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:43:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By 69cutlass:
Show up with a fresh neck tattoo of the companies name it's a guaranteed shoe in closer.
View Quote

Ahh, this made me laugh.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:44:31 PM EST

View Quote

They wanna smell you up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:51:31 PM EST
Yes I am bringing back my two month old thread for a quick update.

The interview was not just to meet me face to face, it was a full on six hour interview with about eight different people. I finally found out that I got the job about a month and a half after the interview. I'm really happy that I got a good job and am back where I should be after a few years of BS jobs, but I am a little unhappy with the time it took to find out and the time of year I am moving. I have an eight month old that is going to spend her first Christmas not at our own home, but with other family members. I start right after the New Year so the move kind of has to happen right around Christmas. My wife is happy about the job, but feeling a little down at the same time with it being the kids first Christmas and all. I'm looking at it as it being the best thing for us and we will have Christmas in our own home next year.

Oh and now for the part where you can all talk shit about the move. I'm moving from Nevada to Illinois, right outside of Chicago. Flame all you want about that, I really don't care because it is home.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:00:15 PM EST
Yes I am bringing back my two month old thread for a quick update.

The interview was not just to meet me face to face, it was a full on six hour interview with about eight different people. I finally found out that I got the job about a month and a half after the interview. I'm really happy that I got a good job and am back where I should be after a few years of BS jobs, but I am a little unhappy with the time it took to find out and the time of year I am moving. I have an eight month old that is going to spend her first Christmas not at our own home, but with other family members. I start right after the New Year so the move kind of has to happen right around Christmas. My wife is happy about the job, but feeling a little down at the same time with it being the kids first Christmas and all. I'm looking at it as it being the best thing for us and we will have Christmas in our own home next year.

Oh and now for the part where you can all talk shit about the move. I'm moving from Nevada to Illinois, right outside of Chicago. Flame all you want about that, I really don't care because it is home.
View Quote
Congrats on the job!
Hope you enjoy cold and snow. I might be doing the opposite of your move, Detroit to Nevada (Henderson).
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:02:48 PM EST
Better than soup kitchen living. Congrats
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:19:00 PM EST
View Quote

You're a breadwinner - Ya gots ta do what ya gots ta do!

Top Top