Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 9:45:00 AM EDT
I quit smoking.  I was a pack/day smoker for 20 years.

It hasn't been easy.  In fact, the first 3 days were hell.  I've been using the patch which I would say is making it easier than without it, but not easy.  On a difficulty scale of 1 - 10 (10 being the worst - quitting without the patch) I would give quitting with the patch about a 6.9.  Add to that (and I know you're not supposed to do this), when things get a little crazy, I'll chew a piece of nicotine gum.  Yeah, I know, I know... But it's better to do that than to smoke.  Soon I will start to gradually decrease my patch dose and I'm already chewing fewer pieces of gum.

Through all the misery I've been going through the last 4 weeks, I'm finally starting to 'feel' the light at the end of the tunnel.  I knew I was supposed to start feeling better, but feeling better is a bold understatement.  I feel unbelievably great.  I haven't felt this great (physically) in years.  I've been in better shape musclewise, but I've always lacked in cardiovascular and endurance activities.  Although I haven't even been excercising much, there is a VERY noticeable level of increased energy.  I used to get winded/tired just doing day to day chores and activities and it feels great to not be constantly out of breath.  It's strange, but I can actually feel that I'm getting better blood-flow throughout my body - don't ask me how, I just can tell.  I'm not sweating nearly as much as I used to, and I can have sex for longer periods of time - Yeah, my girlfriend is enjoying getting used to it too.  Feeling this healthy is really going to keep me motivated to stay smoke-free.

I guess the reason I'm telling you all this is because in case any of you are thinking of quitting, trust me you WILL feel better eventually.  Don't expect noticeable changes in the first few weeks, but once you do start to feel the changes, then your cravings to smoke start to disappear more and more.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#1]
niceguymr, I commend you immensely.

Very good job!  Now stay away from them for good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep it up!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It's now been 5 weeks.  The worst is over alhtough you cant help feel the increased temptations around certain trigger points, for example, after eating a meal, having an alcoholic beverage, doin some blow or anything else that may increase your desire to smoke.  It's all a big challenge, but the BIGGEST challenge was making the decision to quit and follow through.  I'm still on the Patch 21mg along with an ocassional piec of nicorette when needed.  It's better than smoking.  Last week I walked all over the Birthplace of George Washington and didn't complain of being tired once.  Uphill, downhill, no problem.  I've got the stamina and energy back to really begin enjoying life.  I tell you I frequently excluded myself for rather ordinary activities like shopping at the mall ONLY because I know how winded I would feel and it sucked.  I don't worry about those things anymore.  Bring em on!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]

keep up the good work and you will feel much better for it
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody likes a quitter.
J/K  Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome!!!!  I quit in 1981, and I absolutely hate to even smell them anymore.

Good for you for quitting, and also for posting it. Maybe it'll encourage someone else to make the same decision.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Great!

You'll still get the withdraws, but they are getting shorter in duration and further apart.

Best of luck man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top