Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/30/2003 6:37:29 PM EDT
This afternoon my friend and I were out driving around - he was driving his '00 Mustang GT - I was just riding along.  We were stopped at a stoplight and a white 4 door car pulls up besides us and starts reving his engine.

My friend just looks over at me and rolls his eyes..lol. No one was around so my buddy rolls down his window and tells the guy " alright lets go up to 70(mph) ".  Now normally he won't race anyone on the street but he probably thought it would be over by the time he hit the speed limit.(He runs ~14.2 in the 1/4)  And we were out in the middle of nowhere..no driveways or cross streets for several miles..

Anyways, the light turned green and both cars hook up fine - it was even up to about 10mph -then this guy in the 4-door just kept pulling like crazy!! He had at least 3 or 4 car lengths by the time we hit 70.  He gave a thumbs up and was on his way.

I was laughing so hard, and my friend was so shocked, that we never even looked to see what kind of car it was.

All I know is that it was was a mid-size 4 door, I thought it sounded like it had a turbo or supercharger, it was fairly new - maybe 3-5 years old, and it wasn't sporty looking at all..just a normal family sedan.
Anyone have any ideas on what it could have been?? I WANT ONE!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
BMW M5?  4 doors and 400 HP.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#2]
American?

Japanese?

German?

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking it was an American car..
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Impala SS?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Impala or Caprice SS maybe?  Think the top o' line of them put out 300ish hp from the factory, no telling what someone could do to em after that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#7]
nitrous oxide
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
If it had a turbo, you would have most certainly have heard the howl of death. However since you don't know what you got smoked by, you might not have noticed anyway.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive personally seen a Nissan Maxima beat a Mustang GT, both stock. Could have been a Honda Accord with alot of tuning. Subaru WRX is another posiblity
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Impala SS?
View Quote

We thought of that.. it kind of looked like an Impala, but it wasn't.  The police dept. uses them so we see them alot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
It's called a "Sleeper".
View Quote

[img]http://www.turbominivan.com/tm_burn.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.turbominivan.com/mean_b&w.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.turbominivan.com/ps_z28-a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.turbominivan.com/ps_z28-b.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.turbominivan.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Impala is not a mid-size car.
View Quote

yeah, it was a little smaller than the Impala.  I'm still pretty sure it was an American car.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Mercury Merader??????
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Could have been a Tarus SHO. They are suprisingly quick.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mercury Merader??????
View Quote

hmm.. no. I would have noticed that - a little too big, too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn you, Red Beard!  [:D]

-Troy

View Quote

[:D]

be sure to check out the videos on the website

ever since i saw that it's the first thing that pops into my head when someone says "sleeper"

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Sleepers are awesome [:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]
It could have been a modded Subaru Impreza.  I've got one of the new STI's on order...=)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's called a "Sleeper".
View Quote

Exactly.  I have a nice video of a late 90's Camero Z28 dragracing at a dragstrip and being utterly disgraced by a mid-80s, silver-with-simulated-woodgrain-sides front-wheel-drive Dodge Caravan.  Until the race started, everyone was laughing at the grocery-getter.  Until the race started...

-Troy
View Quote

I downloaded this video one time of a Dodge Viper getting spanked by a Dodge Neon in the quarter mile

There was this Hundai Tiberon in a car mag a while ago that had a turbo 4 banger in the front and another one in the back, both on nitrous, it ran 10 sec quarters and was by far the best sleeper Ive ever seen (next to that mini van of course)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Did it look like a cop car?

'cause those would be my first guesses:

Caprice
Crown Vic/Ford LTD
Pre-97 Impala SS (they look ALOT different than the ones the cops are using now... Bigger, faster, etc...)

Next would be a Grand Am GTP or some other 'factory-hotrodded' GM or Chrysler 4-door...

Finally, it could have been a hevily modified (any-car-fits)... Put enough cash into anything and it will fly...

I seriously doubt Ford would let the SHO get faster than the GT. It's called the 'Corvette Rule' (after GM's purposeful hobbling of the F-body line (despite using an identical engine (the 5.7L motor was the same engine in all 3 cars), Trans Ams and Z28's were allways 20-50HP behind the Vette)), and in Ford's case this means 'No car we make shall ever outrun a Mustang, unless it's another Mustang'...

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Could also have been a Galant VR4 (only like 3000 made) but they take pride in being sleepers and stomping other cars....

go to www.dsm.org to see some pix of them
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Could have been a Tarus SHO. They are suprisingly quick.
View Quote

No, not w/out some serious mods.

I've ran one with my '88 Mustang GT way back when and had NO problems outpulling the Taurus SHO.

Yes, the guy was balls to the wall in the SHO.

I've also driven a SHO while I owned my Mudstain and wasn't that impressed with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quite a few "family" cars will smoke a 00 Mustang GT.  

MB C32 AMG
MB E55
BMW M3/5
Audi S4

Those germans sure love their saloons.

Unfortunately, can't think of a single unmodified american sedan that can beat it.  Sad to say but American sedans stink bad when it comes to performance.  

Possibly japanese sedan? (Possiblities: Infinity Q45, Likely spanker, upcoming Mitsubishi Lancer evo)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm going to give another vote for the SHO.

You can make those engines 300+ hp even without a turbo or supercharger. I'd say 350-450 forced inducted.  

Mixed that up with a good LSD you could with ease beat a 2000 stang.

Edited to say:  Stock for stock, I outran 5.0 GT stangs  on 3 or 4 different occasions when I had my SHO. You probably were racing automatic SHO's. I never lost a race to a stock 5.0 GT stang.

Don't get me wrong though, a GT stang was the clear winner when modded.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Might have had nitrous.  Can't be heard & can boost a built engine an extra 300-500 horsepower if the motor is right.  Also had a friend with a Ford Lightning that got spanked by a turboed Neon.  Needless to say that was sold in the next 3 months.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I found it!

My friends Mustang GT was smoked by a [b]BUICK REGAL GS!![/b][bounce][bounce]

I knew about the '80's GN Regal. But I had no idea the newer ones were fast too!  I checked out their site - www.regalgs.org - it looks like a lot of them are running mid 13's with a few bolt-ons.. pretty cool.

I knew I heard a supercharger!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
These guys don't know what beat them, there are about 500,000 Taurus's produced every year, I think anyone but a retard could identify one.
View Quote

yeah, I know what a taurus looks like..  I guess I just don't pay much attention to buicks
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#33]
If you see one of these, you may also get beat pretty  bad.

[img]http://ultra5.curvedspace.net/Audi/MVC-006F.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#34]
How about a Pontiac Bonneville or a Pontiac Grand Prix (with a 3.8L engine?).  Those can be pretty quick cars.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#35]
No chance unmodified.
Supercharged Bonneville SSEI does 60 in 7.5 sec.

Quoted:
How about a Pontiac Bonneville or a Pontiac Grand Prix (with a 3.8L engine?).  Those can be pretty quick cars.

GunLvr
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#36]
My friend agrees with me.. we think it was a Buick Regal GS.  It had to have been modified a little though..
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My friend agrees with me.. we think it was a Buick Regal GS.  It had to have been modified a little though..
View Quote

Indeed it would.
By the sounds of it, that buick you raced was pulling a 13.5 to 14 in the 1/4. Those pull a 15-15.5 stock.

Any 4-door in the 13's gets my respect.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Aren't these things called Q-ship?  Not flashy with spoiler and ground effects so not to attract attention, but very fast.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
These guys don't know what beat them, there are about 500,000 Taurus's produced every year, I think anyone but a retard could identify one.
View Quote

yeah, I know what a taurus looks like..  I guess I just don't pay much attention to buicks
View Quote

That reminds me...

Buick Grand National...

3.8L Turbo V6...

Also the 'parent car' for one of the fastest Firebird variants ever produced, the 89 20th Anniversary Trans Am (GN engine/turbo in a T/A body)... It took an entire model-generation  for GM to make a V8 'bird go that fast...

The GN, of course, was scaled back after it was deemed 'too fast' in comparison to the Corvette & Camaro/Firebird lines...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I found it!

I knew about the '80's GN Regal. But I had no idea the newer ones were fast too!  I checked out their site - www.regalgs.org - it looks like a lot of them are running mid 13's with a few bolt-ons.. pretty cool.

View Quote

Heh... GM seems to love those things lately... Eaton top-mount blowers, specifically (As opposed to the Vortech-style centerfugal design)...

They're turning up on almost anything that uses the 3.8L V6... They make sure, of course, that it's 13s with bolt-ons, instead of factory... After all, we can't get too close to the high-12s Corvette, or even the discontinued f-body (mid 13s stock, but you'd expect that off a 5.7L car)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found it!

View Quote

Heh... GM seems to love those things lately... Eaton top-mount blowers, specifically (As opposed to the Vortech-style centerfugal design)...

They're turning up on almost anything that uses the 3.8L V6... They make sure, of course, that it's 13s with bolt-ons, instead of factory... After all, we can't get too close to the high-12s Corvette, or even the discontinued f-body (mid 13s stock, but you'd expect that off a 5.7L car)
View Quote

Some guys here in Houston (M.T.I.)got a street driven Vette in the 9's...They do some wild work.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Did the driver of the other car look like this?

[img]www.dimensional.com/~mwluse/humungus.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

That reminds me...

Buick Grand National...

3.8L Turbo V6...

[blue]Also the 'parent car' for one of the fastest Firebird variants ever produced, the 89 20th Anniversary Trans Am (GN engine/turbo in a T/A body)... It took an entire model-generation  for GM to make a V8 'bird go that fast...[/blue]

The GN, of course, was scaled back after it was deemed 'too fast' in comparison to the Corvette & Camaro/Firebird lines...
View Quote

Dave

You're bringing back tears to my eyes dude.  My mother and boyfriend at the time managed to buy one my senior year of high school.  Dumbazz boyfriend loans that beautiful machine to some drunk friend, who returns the favor by wrapping it around a telephone pole.

And I never got a chance to drive it[V]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn, you need to pick better boyfriends [:D] [nana]

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found it!

View Quote

View Quote

Some guys here in Houston (M.T.I.)got a street driven Vette in the 9's...They do some wild work.
View Quote

Heh... For another 'fast vette' shop, see LPE [/url]http://www.lingenfelter.com[url]...

Mr Lingenfelter has been tuning GM EFI V8s since the first MPFI motors... They produce a [b]750HP[/b] Vette upgrade... Talk about HP to spare...

That was my answer to the '$80-90K sportscar' thread...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Dude, everyone knows that Rustangs are ASNG. All-Show No-Go. I especially like the convertible V6's that all the beach blanket bimbos drive around here. There are plenty of cars out there that could easily smoke a Pustang GT.

On the current model, I especially like the [b]TOTALLY FAKE[/b] hood scoop and the [b]TOTALLY FAKE[/b] air intakes behind the doors. DUMB!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Your friend is lucky the guy did'nt take some of his cash to boot!!!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found it!

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Heh... For another 'fast vette' shop, see LPE [/url]http://www.lingenfelter.com[url]...

Mr Lingenfelter has been tuning GM EFI V8s since the first MPFI motors... They produce a [b]750HP[/b] Vette upgrade... Talk about HP to spare...

That was my answer to the '$80-90K sportscar' thread...
View Quote

Yes those are nice cars...Ok I got one for ya...Theres a guy on Corvetteforum named Merlin522 who has a C3 vette that has over 1100hp.  I think he has spent over $120,000
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#49]
P.S.

That may even have been a 'factory' car...

Specifically, a Regal GSX...

Brought to you by SLP (aka 'The Firehawk guys'), GM's version of Ford's SVT...

See [url]www.slpeng.com[/url]

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#50]
If it was a GM product and had a 3.8L V6 under the hood, very feasible.

I've left quite a few sports-type cars sitting in the dust while driving my wife's Olds Intrigue. [:D]

As for the identity of the car that smoked you, I'd say either an Olds Aurora or an Intrigue.  Maybe a Grand Prix.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top