Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 1:48:24 PM EDT
Is there such a thing as a 4" mag. 12 ga. shitgun?

This guy at Wal-mart about 10mins ago was getting some ammo and ask for some 4"mag
I was not there my brother told me this but he said the guy really wanted 4" mag 00 bukshot and said he had a gun to use it in.

I think it's BS but just to on the safe side I'll ask,I said a 4 ga was BS untill a guy at a gun show pulled one out.

So is there or is there not a 4" mag 12 ga. shotgun?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No. I don't know of anybody that would want to shoot one anyways cause 3.5" mags are bad enough.

Michael
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
3 1/2" is the biggest 12ga I have ever heard of.
Was it a 10ga?

BTW- "shitgun"? You either don't like shotties, or that was a reeeeeeeeally funny typo [:D]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, 3 1/2" are big and bad, never heard of the 4".  4 gauge did sound like bs until I saw the gun and shell, then my jaw hit the floor from 6' up.

Ice
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL! TYPO!!!!

I'm not even gon'a fix it,it's to dang funny.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, 3 1/2" are big and bad, never heard of the 4".  4 gauge did sound like bs until I saw the gun and shell, then my jaw hit the floor from 6' up.

Ice
View Quote

I once saw a double barrel 4ga that was used for duck hunting. It was a turn of the century gun that was mounted to the front of the boat. I read that the theory was to row up to a bunch of ducks and shoot them as they took off from a "long" ways away. It was a rigid mount so you "aimed" the gun by pointing the bow of the boat at what you wanted to shoot.

It looked more like a little cannon to me.

Michael
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
That boat mounted gun was referred to as a "punt gun" (punt also being the type of boat). They didn't wait for the birds to take off, they would shoot a relatively small shot and try to creep up on large flocks of sleeping ducks early in the morning. These were market hunters, not sporting. So I guess a punt gun has no sporting purpose [;)]

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like fun, got to get me one of those.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah 4 gauge rounds are HUGE! glad there not for shoulder fired shotguns. would probly blow your ass into last week
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#9]
There are industrial shotguns still made in bigger gauges but 8 is the limit.  I don't know what length they go to but 4" sound about right.

Uses?  In large kilns, to remove debris from the walls, workers shoot at the offending stuff with huge guns filled with a special shot that won't contaminate the precess.  Junk falls down and is washed away.

http://www.winchester.com/industrial/8_gauge/ringblastertool.eye

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#10]
It was a long time ago (I was ten) but I seem to remember seeing a 2 gauge in a museum.  If I remember right the museum was Cody Wyoming and dedicated to some famous cowboy like Bufalo Bill or something.  Anybody else been there?  It is is possible I am remembering wrong and it was a 4 gauge.  I just remember being amazed at the thing.  It looked like you could drop a pear down the barrel!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I think he meant a 4 Dram equiv, or a magnum load. If there is such a thing as a 4" mag, it would probably have an all brass shell casing and will only fit in very rare custom shotguns.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#12]
There is no 4" shot shell in Federal's manufacturing system.

To the best of my knowledge there is no modern shotgun chambered for a 4" shell.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an 8Ga slug from Rem. in my collection BIG and HEAVY. I saw a gun rag article on those Punt guns, showed a guy firing a 4 or 6 Ga from the shoulder. Blew him down on his a$$.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
That 8 gauge slug is for a kiln gun.Used o break up the linnungs on vessels and stuff.I believe Olin is the only one making them now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top