Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/2/2004 1:15:34 AM EST

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

LOS ANGELES ā€” The second coming of Mel Gibson's (search) biblical epic "The Passion of the Christ" (search) sold 4.1 million DVD copies by Wednesday after only one day in stores.

While the figure from distributor Fox Home Entertainment is high, it's not quite a record breaker.

"Finding Nemo" (search) holds the No. 1 overall spot for one-day DVD sales with about 8 million. For a live-action movie, "Spider-Man" holds the one-day record with 7 million.

Although "The Passion" fell short of that, Fox Home Entertainment said it did inaugurate several secondary industry records.

In terms of one-day sales, Fox is describing the movie as the best-selling R-rated film of all time and best-selling non-English language film of all time. Most DVD sales trackers, however, only divide rankings between animation and live-action.

"The Passion," starring Jim Caviezel (search) as Jesus, earned more than $370 million at the North American box office, making it the year's second-most popular movie behind "Shrek 2," which earned $436.7 million.

Gibson's film was also one of the most controversial movies in years. Besides its violent depiction of the crucifixion, some Jewish organizations complained it might spark a rise in anti-Semitism by blaming ancient Jewish people for killing Christ.

"The Passion" DVD is on track to sell as well as Hollywood blockbusters such as "Spider-Man" and "The Lord of the Rings" movies, which topped out between 15 million and 18 million total disc sales, said Scott Hettrick, editor in chief of DVD Exclusive magazine.

Churches and religious groups were active in trying to promote the movie to their congregations, sometimes buying huge blocks of theater tickets for sale to parishioners. Many DVDs were paid for well in advance and picked up Tuesday.

Filmed in Aramaic and Latin, the movie was sold with English subtitles on VHS for $24.98, and English and Spanish subtitles on DVD for $29.98. Many retailers are cutting the price to $15 to $20, Hettrick said.

Since the "Passion" that went on sale Tuesday includes only the movie ā€” no bonus features or documentaries that are common on most discs ā€” a more fully loaded version of the DVD is likely in the future.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131074,00.html
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:53:00 AM EST
I bought my copy about 10:00 am Tuesday morning. I was anticpating seeing the movie but unfortunately I wasn't too impressed. While some scenes were intense, the movie as a whole completely failed to move me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:00:46 AM EST
cough *bs* cough,

What a bunch of bullshit, this has nothing to do with Christ, however it has alot to do with mel gibson profiting like no one else before him off of some ones belife.

Didn't this man build a private church, wtf how could any one support him. He licensed plastic stake necklaces at $8 a pop.

Didn't this shit make Christ piss?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:00:56 AM EST
Mel Gibson's financial planner thanks everyone on his behalf.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:02:51 AM EST
I have not seen it yet. I a borrowing a copy from a friend at work. I am sure I will be glad I saw it. But I don't think I will want to watch it over and over.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:05:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
I have not seen it yet. I a borrowing a copy from a friend at work. I am sure I will be glad I saw it. But I don't think I will want to watch it over and over.

Why are you going to be glad to see it? My big question.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:10:42 AM EST

Gibson faced an awful lot of resentment and animosity for making this film, and put a great deal of his own money up to finance it. You make it sound as if this film is in the same category as most of the other trash Hollywood throws up on the big screens.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:14:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By AvengeR15:

Gibson faced an awful lot of resentment and animosity for making this film, and put a great deal of his own money up to finance it. You make it sound as if this film is in the same category as most of the other trash Hollywood throws up on the big screens.

Wow the man put up 30 million, however he wasn't doing it for the church or christ. Let me know how much has has given back, also see if you can worship in his church.

He did it as a producer, some one didn't approach him and say, hey mel can we get 30 mil.
And he wouldn't have licensed out products if he had done it for his faith.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:31:44 AM EST
I picked up my copy on DVD at the grocery store last night on my way to work. $16.95
Top Top