Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2008 6:35:48 PM EDT
Lets say a 18 year old person goes to buy a Rifle/Shotgun from his/her local dealer.

The person comes to 12 (e) of the form 4473, which reads : "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

The person likes to get plastered with his/her friends every now and then,

If they answer "no" to the question, are they lying on a form 4473?

Does 12(e) pertain only to illegal or prescription only (without prescription) drugs?
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 9:11:35 PM EDT
Historically, the term "controlled substance" in legal parlance has been used to refer to narcotics and other prohibited 'recreational pharmaceuticals'.  

Alcohol and its legalities have, in common practice, been addressed separately and differently (as spirits and liquor).

HOWEVER: I'm not a lawyer.

Ask a lawyer.  Discreetly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:42:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:
Ask a lawyer.

+1... ^he's probably right, but you should verify. If you check yes, I'm pretty sure denied.

Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:
Discreetly.

a BIGGER +1 :)
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:36:35 PM EDT
NO
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 3:40:41 PM EDT by fossil_fuel]
alcohol is a depressant in fact (but maybe not in legality?), and underage drinking is unlawful.

But I think that most people who have a low enough respect for the law that they would break the law regarding alcohol probably wouldn't have qualms about fibbing on a 4473 either way.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:26:28 PM EDT
Every time I fill one out, I wonder if it is possible to be addicted to marijuana...
Top Top