Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/28/2005 1:39:54 PM EDT
Just did a little pattern test with various types of 00 buck and achieved a 3" group at 15 yards out an 18" barrel Remington 870 using Federal ammo. Most of the groups were actually around 5-6 inches but that is still pretty freaking good at 15 yards. I can definately recommend getting the barrel done.

By the way, how many of you guys actually know the pattern of your gun of the top of your head?......Just curious. I must admit I tend to forget how the rest of my shotty's pattern

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:42:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leo6223:
Just did a little pattern test with various types of 00 buck and achieved a 3" group at 15 yards out an 18" barrel Remington 870 using Federal ammo. Most of the groups were actually around 5-6 inches but that is still pretty freaking good at 15 yards. I can definately recommend getting the barrel done.

By the way, how many of you guys actually know the pattern of your gun of the top of your head?......Just curious. I must admit I tend to forget how the rest of my shotty's pattern

Do you have any targets with patterns in them before the barerl was done?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:42:32 PM EDT

I get "minute of looter" at 20 yards with my Benelli Super 90. Then again, its kinda hard to tell 'cause I rarely shoot less than 8 rounds into the target before stopping.

I'll never give up my Benelli Super Looter Shooter. Never!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:44:12 PM EDT
Try it with Hornady TAP. I've had my best results with the Hornady 8 pellet or the Remington 8 pellet loads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:47:30 PM EDT
I've been buying Vang's barrels for years.

Not only does it make for better patterning but, the recoil is a pussycat even with magnum loads.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:47:35 PM EDT
My VSC-870 will plop all 9 pellets of the Kent tactical 00 into a hand sized pattern at 20 yards. Came in pretty handy shooting those classic hotel/tango targets down at The Site (always felt bad when the wad landed on the face of the hostage though - but oh well).

To those that say "but a scattergun's strength is in the scatterin'" - think about how much effective range is added to a shotgun that groups tightly and predictably.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:57:58 PM EDT
I have 2 Vang Comp's shotgun, a Remington 870 and Mosseberg 590A1, I personnelly preference is the 870. Both shoots very tight patterns with several loads including: Federal LE 00 buck, Estate SWAT 00 load, and Estate Military 00 load (max load). With the above loads, I was able to keep all 9 pellets inside a Gunsite target at 25 yards, and between 6 to 9 pellets in the vital zone. I have yet test out the Hornady TAP buck load.

At 25 yards, chances are, I already have perform a slug select drill, but it is an extra level of confidence knowing my shotgun can perform up to 25 yards with buck shots.

I always like shotgun because of its ballastic efficiency, and do not subscribe into catching the BG with one or two of the pallets (00 buck is .32 Cal).
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:30:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lennster:
[

Do you have any targets with patterns in them before the barerl was done?

No, I wish I did....I'm sure it would make for great "before" and "after" shots
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:57:08 PM EDT

Yup,

my slugs hit point of aim at 50 yards........and at 100. Scattergun tech sights.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:18:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dolomite:
My VSC-870 will plop all 9 pellets of the Kent tactical 00 into a hand sized pattern at 20 yards. Came in pretty handy shooting those classic hotel/tango targets down at The Site (always felt bad when the wad landed on the face of the hostage though - but oh well).

To those that say "but a scattergun's strength is in the scatterin'" - think about how much effective range is added to a shotgun that groups tightly and predictably.

You and I use the same Kent loads in our Vang Comped 870s.
My exerience is similiar to yours.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:30:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dolomite:

At what point does your pattern get too small? Why don't you just use slugs...or better yet a carbine if you want pinpoint accuracy?

The shotgun IS effective the way it is. In a high stress situation that extra spread will make it more likely that you won't miss the target.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:31:30 PM EDT
Vang comp is a great mod if yo want to be able to get the best possible patterns from misc buckshot loads.

Horn TAP gives simular patterns from any scattergun though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:36:45 PM EDT
Hans Vang is a good guy. I've never shot one of his shotguns though. He's gonna make me a 14" 870 in 1 year 9 months.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:07:53 PM EDT
Went to shotgun camp. Stock police 870s patterned like junk. My Benelli was ok w/ full choke. The VC kicked ass. If I did it over again I would have bought the VC instead of the Benelli.

Just my $.02

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:12:39 PM EDT
You can get a vang comped barrel for a Bennelli. Its a new, heavier barrel.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:32:08 PM EDT

Yes I do.

Uploaded all the pics at Hunt - guess when they reorganized they dumped my pics - I just checked. I posted them all here one time...

Anyway, I have all the pics right in front of me now.

My Mossberg 590, modified choke, Federal Vital Shok 00 buck, 15 yds - guess you could call it 10" pattern - 8 pellets are about 8", then there's one flyer.

3" at 15 yds - man, that sounds great.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:38:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:
Try it with Hornady TAP. I've had my best results with the Hornady 8 pellet or the Remington 8 pellet loads.

Hornady TAP is great. My Marine Magnum averages around 5-6" groups at 15 yards with it.
Top Top