Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2015 8:54:39 PM EDT
I have a 2000 Chevy K2500 gas burner for my personal truck.  I have always changed the oil at 3000 mile intervals regardless of how long it takes to rack up the miles.

Since I have changed jobs, I take home a company truck and my personal one just sits.  I try to take it for a spin once or twice a week.

I just realized it's been about 14 months since my last oil change and it's only gone 2800 miles in that time.

Is there any reason to change the oil due to age rather than miles?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
no.

/thread
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Full synthetic. Change every 7500.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would say yes. Once a year if you don't make that mileage requirement. Chemicals, acids,water can build up in oil and leaving it sit can do damage.

30$ oil change is cheap insurance
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
When black stone labs tells me to
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
+1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would say yes. Once a year if you don't make that mileage requirement. Chemicals, acids,water can build up in oil and leaving it sit can do damage.

+1

Oil will also lose some viscosity over time. Im in the same boat.  Ichange mine about twice a year
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not on a high mileage engine.  If you do, you will find all kinds of new oil leaks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I only put around 800/month on my truck and I still change every 3 months or 3000 miles. I know it's not needed but I just can't get myself to change.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been changing my oil (regular dino) regardless of time at 5000 miles for over 30 years. Many vehicles and never had an oil related problem.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Royal Purple FTW!

That being said, the 3 months/3000 miles thing for conventional oil is largely something invented by the Jiffy Lubes and other quick-change places; because they're changing engine oil for profit. If you have a standard 5 quart oil pan and drive normally most of the time, you really aren't going to have any problems if you change the oil every 6 months/5000 miles and regularly check your oil level along the way (even my new F-150 that runs like a sewing machine burns about a quart every 3-5000 miles).

If you have a small engine and small oil pan, maybe consider changing in the recommended intervals. There is a ton of ugly stuff getting into your engine via fuel and air intake.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#12]
1 year or 5,000 miles is what I do.  I get it hot once a month though.  About a 50 mile round trip.  If I didn't then I would do 6 months or 5000 miles.

Dino Oil.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#13]
6000 miles or 1 year, cheapest oil you can find, Oil is Oil
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
These oil change threads always make me want to ask a question.  

Those of you who are sending your oil to be tested,  how much does that cost and does it save you money when you factor in that cost?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Oil should be changed whenever the gas is changed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

My previous truck (a 5-speed, 4 banger Colorado) would disagree with you.

Ran great for 125k miles.... switched to [Walmart] Supertech for two intervals... Bam! 'Sploded engine! Could have just been bad timing, but I seriously doubt it. Performance was noticeably reduced when I switched to the cheap oil.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  On my cars, I got with a little less than the mileage the manufacturer recommends, or yearly.  Whichever comes first.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Ran great for 125k miles.... switched to [Walmart] Supertech for two intervals... Bam! 'Sploded engine! Could have just been bad timing, but I seriously doubt it. Performance was noticeably reduced when I switched to the cheap oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got news for you:  The Supertech oil is probably made at the same refinery as the higher priced brands.  

If it has the API seal on it then it meets the same standards.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

These oil change threads always make me want to ask a question.  

Those of you who are sending your oil to be tested,  how much does that cost and does it save you money when you factor in that cost?
View Quote
I sent in for the kit, I think it's $20. I haven't sent a sample in yet so I don't know 100%.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I go about 10k.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#25]
every engine is different. Im an experienced engine guy so I look at the oil on the dipstick to determine when it needs changing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 2000 Chevy K2500 gas burner for my personal truck.  I have always changed the oil at 3000 mile intervals regardless of how long it takes to rack up the miles.

Since I have changed jobs, I take home a company truck and my personal one just sits.  I try to take it for a spin once or twice a week.

I just realized it's been about 14 months since my last oil change and it's only gone 2800 miles in that time.

Is there any reason to change the oil due to age rather than miles?
View Quote

1 year for time.

5,000 miles
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes. Not driving it much will let acids and water collect in the motor. If you drive it often then every 5K miles is GTG even for conventional oil. I would change the oil every year at the rate you are putting on the miles. Synthetic oils are not some magic cure all like many claim. Synthetics suffer from many of the same issues as conventional oil. That is the break down of the additives package and the build up of contaminates in the oil.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Honestly, I do it whenever the hell I get around to it.  I've gone 9k before, meant to do it at 5k.  

Both daily driven vehicles are getting service this weekend since I'll have time.  The Civic is at 5,xxx miles/3 mo, the XTerra is at around 7,xxx and 6 mo.

Then again, I'm also doing a timing belt on the Civic and some front end work on the X.  Oil will be a "while I'm in there" thing... since the last people to change the oil on either car was the Firestone that does our fleet vehicles at work.

I hate changing oil.  I gladly pay someone else to do it 75% of the time.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#29]

My 2014 truck just rolled 200,000 miles.  It gets Mobil Delvac sythetic changes every 25,000 miles.  But it's a Peterbilt.  42 quart capacity.

The 1986 K5 Blazer is on a 5,000 mile schedule.  Oils today are better than that old motor ever knew.

My Suburban gets changed whenever the dash display tells me to do so.  

-p.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I dont care much for labs and the voodoo they conjure.

I like results and real life proof.

So i have a pickup running on propane, i passed it down to one of our guys. Propane burns cleaner so we change the oil every 12,000 miles on normal oil. We are at 230k and not burning any yet. We typically have all of our engines fail at 275k to 325k miles no matter what the make or model.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I dont care much for labs and the voodoo they conjure.

I like results and real life proof.

So i have a pickup running on propane, i passed it down to one of our guys. Propane burns cleaner so we change the oil every 12,000 miles on normal oil. We are at 230k and not burning any yet. We typically have all of our engines fail at 275k to 325k miles no matter what the make or model.
View Quote

So the mine sites running CAT 797F Mine Trucks with C175-20 engines that use oil analysis to determine oil changes on ~100 gal systems are a bunch of morons?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#32]
My car is the same way, although I'm lucky to drive it once a month.  

I try to keep fresh oil in it at least once a year primarily due to moisture in the oil and no other reason.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mobil1....

10,000 miles or one YEAR....

My daily drive just rolled 198000 miles and uses a quart max between changes.

I'm not waisting my money on 90 days 3k mile changes... Absolutely zero reason for 99% of passenger vehicles on the road.

That wasn't so 20-30 years ago. Oil and engines have come a loooonnng way since then.

ASE Master..retired

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not on a high mileage engine.  If you do, you will find all kinds of new oil leaks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 bucks says you can't find one on mine....any one of my three.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#35]
at least once a year

mine sits all the time, I have a company truck also
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I change the high strung KTM 690 oil at 5K miles, even though the manual says 10,000 kilometers. Seems to be ok but its only at 6600 miles right now.

The cummins, it gets the oil change whenever the light comes on. Or, before a long trip towing the trailer. So, roughly ever 7500 miles. Its at 111k right now. And its doing great.

Oil is getting better every day. The modern synthetics are really extending intervals. But any oil does break down over time. 1 Year is about the most you would want to push an oil change. Even with synthetics.

Cheap insurance and all that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Synthetic, 7500 or 1 year whichever comes first on mine, 10k or 1 year in the wife's car. The thing that is hell on oil the most is short trips (1-3 miles and even worse in winter up in the colder areas).
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Full synthetic since new in the work van and my truck.  ~7.5k miles between changes in the van which is about every 8 months and ~5k and 10 months in the truck.  Wife takes care of the Honda when the oil change light comes on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Every 3K, which usually takes between 5 and 6 months.

I feel sorry for you people that have to drive to work, especially when I am drinking beer on the train home.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I feel sorry for you people that have to drive to work, especially when I am drinking beer on the train home.
View Quote
A lot of us feel sorry for people who live in IL and have to ride trains.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:25:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I change mine every 500 miles or 2 weeks, whichever is first.  Cheap insurance for £60
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#43]
A lot of crap comes into engine oil through the air intake.   Tiny particles that build up in oil.   The more expensive grades of oil have additives that protect against wear from these particles.  With cheaper oil changing at 3000 mi is best.   Also, if you run a lot of short trips water will build up and cause sludge.   When you shut off a motor, water condenses inside.   If you drive about 15 or so miles each trip every day then the water burns off.   If you dont then the water combines with rust inside to form sludge.   Sludge can cause improper oiling and engine damage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the guy in fucking Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top