Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 1:14:50 PM EDT
How long do you recommend before I can remove the tape from freshly painted walls?

BTW, the tape will rip paint and drywall right off from past experiences, even when it's been on for only 1 hour...WTF! 14- days my azz
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
the laquer tape should never be strong enough to rip paint and drywall off. Are you sure this is the 3m blue stuff?
or maybe some knockoff?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a hair dryer to warm it up before you remove it.
It softens the tape's grip on the paint.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually only leave it on for 10-15 minutes
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've left that tape on for days and didn't have any problems. You have to slowly peel the tape back on itself, not just rip it off the wall. Even something as seemingly simple as applying and removing masking tape takes a bit of know how.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The green fine line is more expensive, but worth it. 5 years ago the blue tape was an incredible product, much better than the plain tan tape, and the green was super-exotic.

Seems like they just shifted theach color down a notch. The tan is now sticky toilet paper, the blue is what used to be tan, and you have to use the green to get a good clean release. Then of course there is the strretchable poly llight/olive green green stuff that is $20 a roll and practically does the painting for you, but that's a different product, like for putting on awlgrip paint.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the laquer tape should never be strong enough to rip paint and drywall off. Are you sure this is the 3m blue stuff?
or maybe some knockoff?

Must be a knockoff.  We use that stuff all the time at work.   I've left it on for a week or two.  The only time I've had a problem is on hardwood floors with alot of traffic.  But it just took a little rubbing to get it off.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I just did this today!!

I had put the blue tape on the ceiling and it stayed for 2 days.  The paint was completely dry (been painted for a week).  When I pulled it off today, a little bit of the paint came with it.  Just in spots.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
or maybe some knockoff?

The laquer tape is the green stuff, and it's a high tack tape. The blue tape is the most expensive of the readily available masking tapes, and that's more of a general purpose medium-low tack tape. In reality though, if each one is used for its intended purpose, the paint shouldn't peel off. The good thing about the blue tape is that you can walk over it, clamp over it, etc. and it doesn't leave a residue like the green and tan ones will.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]
yup use the Green I get both free so cost doesnt matter to me
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I've found that if the 3M blue tape ever gets too hot, like if you leave it in your car or in an outside building in the summer, it becomes sticky enough to mess-up paint and drywall.  After having trouble with about half a dozen rolls of it over the years, I've just started giving away my partial rolls after I use them and buying new ones for each project.  It's wasteful, but the brand-new rolls work so much better.  Did yours ever get hot or have you had it for a long time?z
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
3m Purple painters tape has a longer release time.  28 days I think??  Regardless the Blue tape should have worked.  Write a letter to 3M and ask them WTF.  You might get some free stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:24:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1. Pull the blue tape off as soon as you are done painting. This allows you to see waht needs to be touched up while you have all your brushes, paint handy. If paint dries on the tape you can damage the surface when you pull it off.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+3, we learned our lesson also.

We thought we could leave it on for a few coats and then tear it off no problem. It's the good stuff right?

Nope. I'll just buy masking tape to save money and just re-tape every coat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I tape one room at a time.  As soon as I am finished painting I start taking the tape off.  That way the paint is still kind of wet and does not peel more paint off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top