Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2012 8:13:10 PM EDT
I CANT find it. Its so damn frustrating and I am to the point that I am debating on starting a business to become an exploding target maker.

I live in a place surrounded by farmland and even the HUGE co-op doesnt sell it because "urea does the same thing"

Someone tell me where to get it. I am absolutely sick of looking.

Any help finding this would be appreciated. I am tired of people marketing tannerite and making bank on something that can be done for so cheap with AN and some AL powder . If there is anywhere online that will sell it please let me know. I dont care to give my license number or whatever it takes to get some.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If you ever did find some locally, you probably could make some beer money vacuum packing it and selling it online.  At least until it's finally outlawed completely.

My wag on that is sometime in the next couple of years.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you ever did find some locally, you probably could make some beer money vacuum packing it and selling it online.  At least until it's finally outlawed completely.

My wag on that is sometime in the next couple of years.

you are probably right, but I dont want to really sell it, I just want to shoot it for heavens sake... but if it comes down to it, I will get a business license and bet your asses I will sell some just to be able to keep some for myself.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty spooky how the government can effectively ban something, without even passing new laws.  Just by harassing the people who sell the stuff.  

It's been very difficult to get for several years now.  Same thing with flashpowder grade aluminum powder.  

It's the new America:   Banned through bureaucratic harassment.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
And here I was thinking you wanted to green up your lawn really fast.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw some last month in a farm supply store.

This sounds like that email I get every few year about stocking up on strike anywhere matches.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Inthered is way cheaper.

You don't really need lab purity ammonium nitrate to do splodey targets.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Timothy? is that you?
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Timothy? is that you?

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]

my gosh I can get a .5 lb target for $6... im looking for a bag of it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Timothy? is that you?

Pssshhh. That dude got his plastic surgery, his payoff, and a new passport. He's probably getting a blowjob in Singapore right now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:35:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

my gosh I can get a .5 lb target for $6... im looking for a bag of it.
I didn't say they were cheap/

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
anyone else have someone who supplies ammonium nitrate? obviously the tannerite guys are getting it somewhere
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]
We just had a construction guy a few days ago with a government contract that demanded 34-0-0, maybe find out where he finally got it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We just had a construction guy a few days ago with a government contract that demanded 34-0-0, maybe find out where he finally got it.

I saw that thread, but didnt read where he got it..
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Timothy? is that you?

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, as far as fartilizing is concerned, urea does do the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Urea doesn't help you fartilize anything.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#19]
so nobody knows where to buy the crap?

I find that hard to believe... because arfcom is full of geniuses
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#20]

$30 a pound, i can buy 10 pounds of of Tannerite in 1/2 pound containers with oxidizer for $90.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he is thinking of arrhea... diarrhea
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Put your glasses on you old codger.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell, if you're looking for urea, go buy some of that deisel stuff.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Urea can contain biuret which is a plant toxin.  Ammonium nitrate is free of  biuret.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I bet I can get it.

It isn't urea is it? We use urea in one of our blends now. The AL power, you just grind it if you can't get the right consistency. I looked at doing it a few years ago and never really pursued it. I would do it in 5 gal with a 50 pail minimum and sell them to people who want to repackage it in smaller packs.and resell it to others.  

I wouldn't want to fuck with any quantities any smaller than that though,

No, ammonium nitrate prill isn't urea.  You should be able to get it in super sacks, you have forklift available?  Splitting into 5 gallon sealed  pails would be a money-maker.  The aluminum powder would  be an issue.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bet I can get it.

It isn't urea is it? We use urea in one of our blends now. The AL power, you just grind it if you can't get the right consistency. I looked at doing it a few years ago and never really pursued it. I would do it in 5 gal with a 50 pail minimum and sell them to people who want to repackage it in smaller packs.and resell it to others.  

No, ammonium nitrate prill isn't urea.  You should be able to get it in super sacks, you have forklift available?  Splitting into 5 gallon sealed  pails would be a money-maker.  The aluminum powder would  be an issue.

I'm going to try to remember to check into this next week. The AL powder can be bought or ground and be packaged separately and just sell it to people who want to repackage for ebay or whatever. Hell we could package it into 55 gallon drums which would be preferable to me.

I would be shocked if you found a place that still sells actual, no BS 34-0-0 ammonium nitrate fertilizer.  I checked every feed store in a 3 or 4 county area down here and couldn't find any.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been looking for a 50lb sack or 2 myself. Hard stuff to find, especially without winding up getting the FBI called on your ass.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bet I can get it.

Heh... Hey.  Guys.  He said "super sacks"...
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 2:28:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would be shocked if you found a place that still sells actual, no BS 34-0-0 ammonium nitrate fertilizer. I checked every feed store in a 3 or 4 county area down here and couldn't find any.

Watch out for black Suburbans.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 2:38:06 AM EDT
[#34]
My landscape Guy got me some for my centipede.  Didn't think about shooting it.  Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 3:28:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Saw some last month in a farm supply store.

This sounds like that email I get every few year about stocking up on strike anywhere matches.

It's still sold at the local co-op here.

One of my shooting friends is a farmer an he can still get the good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 3:31:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on what you are growing.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Urea can contain biuret which is a plant toxin.  Ammonium nitrate is free of  biuret.

How much of a threat is that, really?  Urea really seems to have taken hold - it's a lot cheaper than Ammonium Nitrate - it can't all be about explosives.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#39]

I didn't see any 34-0-0 there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Can you still get german black anymore?  34-0-0 not hard to get just got to have a reason for it and be in an agricuture area.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can you still get german black anymore?  34-0-0 not hard to get just got to have a reason for it and be in an agricuture area.

Check smokiexd45s thread above. this is from his link
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

How much of a threat is that, really?  Urea really seems to have taken hold - it's a lot cheaper than Ammonium Nitrate - it can't all be about explosives.

Urea is better as it has more nitrogen per unit of mass.  Also, it doesn't have storage issues of ammonium nitrate but is still somewhat corrosive.  But getting it relatively free of biuret is difficult.  Testing for it is easy.  

Urea is easier to make, the nitric acid needed to make AN comes from ammonia which is made in the Haber Process that reacts atmospheric nitrogen with hydrogen.  Then ammonia is partially oxidized with addition of steam to make HNO3.  More energy.  The reaction of nitric acid with ammonia also releases a lot of waste heat.  All of which comes from the Haber process, meaning lost energy.

Urea is also made  from ammonia but instead of hydrogen, carbon dioxide is used.  Carbon dioxide is far cheaper than hydrogen.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check smokiexd45s thread above. this is from his link

I would use Star Molecule al powder it's 1.5 micron much finer than american pyro has. plus if you buy 5lbs or more they include the shipping in the cost. This al makes AN way more sensitive than others.  
Trust me it's the way to go. starmolecule.com. My buddy has a pyro license and the flash salutes he makes with this stuff are retardly loud as fuck...

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be shocked if you found a place that still sells actual, no BS 34-0-0 ammonium nitrate fertilizer.  I checked every feed store in a 3 or 4 county area down here and couldn't find any.

Yeah, but I'm not a feed store, I'm  chemical manufacturer. If it is a chemical, I can buy it by the truckload if I want. Even the DEA regulated stuff. I don't fuck with any of it, but if we want it we can get it. We are a legitimate chemical manufacturing company with 20 years in the business.

All I'm required to do is sign documents stating I'm not doing anything illegal with it. However that said, every time it has come up in the last 20 years, we just decline to sell the product and send whoever is wanting it directly to our supplier and let them fuck with it since we mainly blend cleaning chemicals and don't resell a lot of raw chemicals especially to some jackass who walks in off the street. To be fair, most of the time that some individual calls and wants "red phosphorus" or "potassium permanganate" they are probably looking to make meth so i don't fuck with them. I just send them to my supplier and let them tell them to get fucked or investigate if they are legit. If they are legit, they can save a lot of money by cutting me out anyway.

Something like this might be worth it. It isn't like I would resell the raw material to anyone so I would feel OK doing it. I also need to check Texas law on manufacturing restrictions of a binary explosive and make sure I don't need a specific license.

Bear in mind the alternate uses of any chemical you buy in bulk and intend to resell without blending.  For the one at hand, that would be meth again as AN is used in the one-container method popular with individuals.  But without chemical Redacted , they won't get anywhere.  So don't sell REDACTED unless mixed with water...

Still checking up on the laws is important.  DPS has restrictions on certain chemicals and apparatus.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Not true....ammoniacal nitrogen works differently that nitrate based nitrogen.

I made ammoniacal based fertilzer for over 16 years, there is a difference.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

They may work differently I understand it is important to water Urea right away, for example) but ultimately what you are doing is replacing nitrogen.  That's what the soil needs.  it;s two ways to skin the same cat.

Are you agreeing that Urea doesn't help you fertilize anything?
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Nitrifying bacteria.  Meaning soil temperature and moisture is needed to turn ammonical nitrogen into nitrate.  Using anhydrous ammonia requires soil moisture, otherwise it evaporates and you get low nitrogen yield.  Plus it would be damn painful.

But urea can be applied anytime so that is why it doesn't seem to be equivalent to nitrate since mineral nitrates don't evaporate/volatilize.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nitrogen is nitrogen.

Nitrifying bacteria.  Meaning soil temperature and moisture is needed to turn ammonical nitrogen into nitrate. Using anhydrous ammonia requires soil moisture, otherwise it evaporates and you get low nitrogen yield.  Plus it would be damn painful.

Not when combined with other chemicals. My comment was addressing the nitrate is nitrogen

is nitrogen comment.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top