Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 8:07:41 AM EDT
I am cleaning up my various load ammo storrage boxes and I come across a NIB box of Black Talon FST brand 30/06 factory loads. Like most of the 30/06 loads in that box, including a ziplock baggie of tracers and a box of AP, I have no memory of when I bought it. Its possible that I may have bought them all at the same funshow, the black packaging would have attracted me while I was buying AP and tracer and those sabot bullet loads I found.

I am going on a bambi hunt soon. Is the Black Talon load any good? Better then Sierra 150 SPTs, my current white tail load of choice?

As good as triple shock bullets, my big game choice?

Anyone ever shoot this bullet?

Anyone ever read about it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a box I am hanging on to, since you can't get them anymore. There are lots of good ammo choices out there. To be honest, shot placement is much more critical than ammo choice. Remington Core-Lokt works for me. But if you just want to shoot them, I am sure they would work. Reliable expansion would be my only concern.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#4]
i have tried the failsafes, and ct's. both work well, but i prefer my handloaded partitions. never tried the black talons.
444slayer has an exellent point about shot placement. rem corelocks work well, as a stand by.

if you really wanna know how they do, test them. if you cant get ballistic gell., then the old wet phone book and hambone setup will do...as long as you have a control.

i suggest doing the test with a couple of  core locked, a couple of federal premium or winchesters loaded with nosler partitions, and your bullets, all in the same bullet weight. that should give you some ideas.
not very scientific, but hey...

eta: out of sick pride, i can gar-un-tee the partition does the best!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top