Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2002 12:12:50 PM EDT
I live on the Houston ship channel and have access steel from scrap yards.  if I want to build a free hanging "gong" type rifle target to hang at 100 yds. how thick does the steel need to be to stop .308 and 30-06?  I can't get armor or hardened steel plate.  unless you know of a link to someone that makes these targets at a reasonable price.???

what I would like to get is something like an old manhole cover  

thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
For the target to be that close, and assuming no AP, only ball and soft points, I would not go with anything less then .75 inch.  And if I could get 1.00 or thicker I would.  I would also hang the gong at an angle (75 degrees or there about) that would tend to direct the rounds downward and away from the shooter.

I've taken 3/8" "diamond plate" and drilled holes through and through @ 100 yds with '06, 6.5 Swede, and 5.56 55gn ball.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I brought a piece of 3/4 mild steel plate to the Great Southern Freedom Shoot last month.  We set it out at about 75 yds and had at it with about everything you could shoot. The .223 made a small crater about 3/8 inch wide and about 1/16 deep. .50 ball ammo made a crater about 3/4 inch wide and about 1/8 deep. .50 AP went through it like a knife through hot butter and it was at about a 20-30 degree angle. I'd say that for a target that will take several thousand .30-06 you might want some 1". Even though the stuff we shot didn't do alot of damage, you might want the thicker stuff since your gonna gnaw at it for a long time. My .02
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Try [url]mgmtargets.com[/url].

I have a steel CO2 cylinder I want to hang from an A-frame type stand to use as a long and short range reactive target. I think this  cylinder would stop most calibers from penetrating but should I worry about errant ricochets? Any other concerns I should be aware of using this type of target? ( and yes, it's empty}.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a steel CO2 cylinder I want to hang from an A-frame type stand to use as a long and short range reactive target. I think this  cylinder would stop most calibers from penetrating but should I worry about errant ricochets? Any other concerns I should be aware of using this type of target? ( and yes, it's empty}.
View Quote

Yes, you should be concerned about ricochets.  At the Hun farm, firing tracers at a helium tank produced some rather dramatic visual traces of errant shots.

After watching these shots go zipping into the distance, I decided AGAINST installing a steel tank as a target at my range.

Dpeacher, did you notice the steel targets at 400 at the Hun Farm?  Something was going through them.  Not sure if it was your gun or someone else's.  The helium tank at 500 remain unpenetrated.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If I had a choice I'd go for the 1" stuff. It'll take a hell of a lot more abuse than 3/4".
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, you should be concerned about ricochets.  At the Hun farm, firing tracers at a helium tank produced some rather dramatic visual traces of errant shots.

After watching these shots go zipping into the distance, I decided AGAINST installing a steel tank as a target at my range.

View Quote

The place where I shoot is very remote, only 1 home in the area and that's about 300 yards away and to the right of the target area, with about 70 yards of woods between them and the target. Still probably within range of a ricochet though. I'll have to come up with a better idea. thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutly!  With the convex curve of the surface, there is very little for the round to "bite" on, so the rounds deflect left or right very easily.  The good thing about the Hun Farm is it's remoteness allows a great margin of safety, epecially with the tank some 540 yds away.

Dpeacher, did you notice the steel targets at 400 at the Hun Farm?  Something was going through them.  Not sure if it was your gun or someone else's.  The helium tank at 500 remain unpenetrated.
View Quote

I have been meaning to ask you how those targets held up!  Did both of them get penetrated?  I know one plate was a bit thinner then the other.  It could have been me.[:D]  I was shooting M2 ball and M25 tracer out of my Garand, and S&B 55gn fmj out of my AR.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to put in a good word for the people at MGM targets [url]http://mgmtargets.com/[/url]

I have a full run of a dozen of their auto poppers set up on my range and they have always been fantastic.  Fast deleivery (shipping included in the price!)

Good people.  Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
What's wrong with penetration? Penetration is good. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Check this thread as well...

[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=153423[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top