[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
your government at work
View Quote

Think of all of the money they saved
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Part of the scheduling scam is if you have reoccurring check ups such as every six months they won't give you a date and time for your next visit when you finish you current appointment.  They will mail you a letter one month out telling you when your appointment is; and if you call to reschedule, they mark you as a no show and pull the one month notice in the mail thing in three or four months down the road.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
When are they going to charge the VA Secretary with 307,000 counts of manslaughter? Or at least as many as happened since he was confirmed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Just another facet of plan Obama & his comrades had "Ready to rule on day one".
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]
lol...who cares.

Obviously our elected officials don't.

Most Americans don't either, since it doesn't affect them.

We are talking about what...1% of the population that utilizes the VA?

Ya...who gives a fuck...

When is dancing with the stars back on.

Oh...and #BLM

All this false outrage is rather annoying.  It isn't like anyone will do anything to change the currest state of the VA...much less the government.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Finding someone/some group "responsible for X", only works when that party is actually "responsible" to begin with.
If the party doing the finding is part of the problem, it's just a bunch of nonsensical finger-pointing and circle jerking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
your government at work

<sarcasm>

Now if we could just engineer some disease or sickness that will wipe out the baby boomers right before they retire and start drawing social security, we might actually be able to save it.

</sarcasm>
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#10]
For those who haven't experienced it or have unrealistically rosy expectations....this is government run health care.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Just read Stars and Stripes article about the V.A. losing 10,000 more files
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Having dealt with the VA, and studying Public Policy for school, I am nearly certain, that there is a calculating bureaucrat somewhere in the Administration, with an excel spreadsheet and some draconian calculations.
"We have too many veterans needing care", he must think to himself.

"This process of postponing care, deleting appointments, deleting files and applications, Eureka, this is the solution to our Veteran Problem! It will work itself out!"

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:32:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Wife works for the VA. They are having the same issues as the rest of the medical community- lack of doctors. Worst thing is the voucher program. If you have to wait more than say 30 days for an appointment and they give you a voucher to see some one on the outside. Your going to see the same problem, a doctor with a 2 or 3 month waiting list. Not only that but a lot of the doctors that apply to the VA usually have legal or professional issues. Would you like to see a doctor that your local hospital won't even hire? Watched my grandfather deal with the VA for years. Wouldn't count on going into the military on the promise of "LIFETIME" health care. Face the facts, when you get out of the military your just another spent cartridge to the military and the government. Don't trust a politician to help you out. There just looking for votes. "Look I got you a voucher " where the hell are you going to use it! Veterans do deserve better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I have not had to use the VA, and I am glad for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wife works for the VA. They are having the same issues as the rest of the medical community- lack of doctors. Worst thing is the voucher program. If you have to wait more than say 30 days for an appointment and they give you a voucher to see some one on the outside. Your going to see the same problem, a doctor with a 2 or 3 month waiting list. Not only that but a lot of the doctors that apply to the VA usually have legal or professional issues. Would you like to see a doctor that your local hospital won't even hire? Watched my grandfather deal with the VA for years. Wouldn't count on going into the military on the promise of "LIFETIME" health care. Face the facts, when you get out of the military your just another spent cartridge to the military and the government. Don't trust a politician to help you out. There just looking for votes. "Look I got you a voucher " where the hell are you going to use it! Veterans do deserve better.
View Quote

Avaliability of doctors doesn't explain the inability of the VA to keep records properly...let alone contact those who apply for benefits.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

True(kinda), but they do give great educational benefits for serving. If vets get out and have a problem finding a good job, their either stupid or lazy (if they don't have medical issues etc.)

But if the .gov promised something to vets they should get it no matter what. Pay doctors at the VA a redonkulous salary or whatever it takes.

I bet there are some career civis and cops saying "phew, glad I didn't join the .mil"

ETA: and what crabs said
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have not had to use the VA, and I am glad for it.
View Quote

My dad was in the Army and my mother worked for the government and had pretty good insurance. My dad always went to a private doctor even on active duty. Never used the VA when he got out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Democrats don't really care.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#20]
The VA is obviously a goat rope.  Why would someone wait on the VA and die instead of going elsewhere and pay for health care?  I have been wondering.  Is there a clause or something that if you go elsewhere you lise benefits or something?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#21]
300k dead, from our own .gov neglect? Good Lord, the guys below only managed to kill 400,000 American troops.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Progressives see mediocrity as a badge of honor. It's a clever way to not do their jobs. To serve up some social justice. And be rewarded for it.

The old America is dead.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#24]

To the fallen.

From bureaucratic malfeasance.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Republicans don't really care.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#26]
On the plus side in 10 years or so the VA will be fast. till all the WoT folks age up
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wife works for the VA. They are having the same issues as the rest of the medical community- lack of doctors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Wife works for the VA. They are having the same issues as the rest of the medical community- lack of doctors.

we have about 50% of the providers we need. We pay about half as much as the private sector, and take almost a year for the hiring process. We also throw each provider an average of 2,000 patients, many of which are disgruntled and rude because "rah, I was in the Navy 20 years ago so I have to be an asshole like my drill instructor was," and a bureaucracy that cares more about publishing MCM's instead of improving patient care.

Most of our doctors are either brand new and using our loan repayment options or retired and doing it for a second retirement check. Morale is super low and we have a hard time retaining those who do stick out the year long hiring process before deciding to take a higher paying job that will take them right away -- I read something like a 25% turnover rate in the first two years.  

Some people have said the VA should exist solely to care for service connected injuries, but that's a different beast altogether. I'm constantly dealing with guys who are 60 years old and 350lbs trying to get their diabetes or sleep apnea service connected because eating all that Army chow 40 years ago is obviously why they have those conditions. I'm amazed every day reviewing charts the ways I've seen how guys have gotten issues that seem impossible to be related to military service get them a huge monthly check from the VA (often much more than I make working there).

The facility I work at is like a huge abyss of fraud, waste and abuse. We're the only rehabilitation center in the entire VA health care system, and I want to say about 80% of the guys who stay there havelived there for 20 or so years, have an average of a year in service before getting some kind of general discharge, with no combat experience, who spend their days "going to classes (or hanging out in their dorm rooms watching TV on their big screen TV's)" but every time they're near graduation, they go out to town and relapse then say the PTSD from their drill sergeants yelling at them was the reason so "I need another year to do the program, and maybe a bump in my SC rating because my PTSD is getting worse, can you please put in my charts that I had auditory hallucinations of the higher rank lance corporals who use to bully me by sending me on details while they smoked cigarettes?"

I think we keep these guys around because we can report all of our beds are full so we get more funding instead of getting guys who actually want to get better (maybe one of those 307,000 dead vets) who will leave and live productive lives instead of constantly needing our services and require us to wait for new referrals which could hurt our numbers.

Quoted:
The VA is obviously a goat rope.  Why would someone wait on the VA and die instead of going elsewhere and pay for health care?  I have been wondering.  Is there a clause or something that if you go elsewhere you lise benefits or something?

I think it's a combination of two things. Veterans like to be near their own so they can swap stories in the waiting room how they were a spec ops sniper (a sense of community), and vets really like getting free stuff or discounts (you better give me 5% off this meal, or I'm calling Fox News down here to let them know you hate America!").
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
your government at work  

Obviously a test run for ZeroCare.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody fuckin cares, quiet down i'm watching VMA
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

The problem with VA doctors is that they work banker's hours, and they mostly suck and are incompetent.  (not universally, but mostly)

My wife's group was contracting for medical coverage with the VA, and didn't renew their contract.  (i.e., my wife's group fired the VA) VA docs are lazy and incompetent, foist all work off to residents and contract physicians and only "work" until 3:30PM.

Add to that the fact that many of the senior attending physicians brought in from outside government are going to the VA because they've repeatedly been sued for med malpractice.

Oh yeah, I worked for VA for 7 years, including a year at a VAMC.

Shut.  It. Down.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Strip the VA Director of his pension.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The problem with VA doctors is that they work banker's hours, and they mostly suck and are incompetent.  (not universally, but mostly)

My wife's group was contracting for medical coverage with the VA, and didn't renew their contract.  (i.e., my wife's group fired the VA) VA docs are lazy and incompetent, foist all work off to residents and contract physicians and only "work" until 3:30PM.

Add to that the fact that many of the senior attending physicians brought in from outside government are going to the VA because they've repeatedly been sued for med malpractice.

Shut.  It. Down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shut.  It. Down.

Bro, what haven't you done?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shut.  It. Down.

Spent my whole life working for the man either .mil or .gov.

I'm really happy about it.

(Can't you tell? )
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Without reading the article because I have to leave for class, I wonder:

How many of those 307,000 that died waiting for care had terminal illnesses, or were pushing 100, and we're counted because they had a VA appointment coming up when they died?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How many of those 307,000 that died waiting for care had terminal illnesses, or were pushing 100, and we're counted because they had a VA appointment coming up when they died?
View Quote

I'd bet most.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#36]
A public hanging  is too good for those responsible.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For those who haven't experienced it or have unrealistically rosy expectations....this is government run health care.

View Quote

Yep. We are all being herded into the govt health care cattle car. Obamacare is a population control bill not a heathcare bill. A huge tax combined with no care. Unless you are one of the chosen, then you will not get care. Already we are learning that what is now considered regular healthcare insurance is a cadillac plan. In ten years we will all be beat down onto single payer and the boomers will be taking dirt naps from ailments that used to be non fatal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Lol no one really give a fuck about veterans like us, they have not in a very long time.
The civilian population doesn't really give a shit how many of us die in combat, die due to shit VA care, or kill themselves for the dozens of reasons they do.
It does not impact their lives so they don't care they will never give a shit unless it directly effects them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Remember when the Libtards said there would be no "death panels"?

Uhmmmmm, hmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#40]
how many people will end up in jail?  307K is a small genocide.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd bet most.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd bet most.

Does it include suicides?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#42]

This is why we as a nation should adopt a VA like health system. #Progress

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd bet most.

I don't know.

I scanned the report quickly, I didn't see the timeframe that generated that number from.

What are from-to dates?  Anybody know?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Don't worry, Daniel Manning will get his sex change first. Priorities and all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
your government at work
View Quote

Actually working just as those currently in power want it to,
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Strip the VA Director of his pension.
View Quote

I was thinking of something something involving tar and feathers, but we could start with your idea first.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A public hanging  is too good for those responsible.
View Quote

This country treats it's vets like garbage.

My idea of accountability probably is a violation of the CoC so I'll leave it out. I do believe some of these worthless govt bureaucrats need to be made to understand this isn't acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#48]

If we are willing to ban guns over a couple dozen people a year killed by nuts, what are we going to do about this?

Oh... that's right.  Nothing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
we have about 50% of the providers we need. We pay about half as much as the private sector, and take almost a year for the hiring process. We also throw each provider an average of 2,000 patients, many of which are disgruntled and rude because "rah, I was in the Navy 20 years ago so I have to be an asshole like my drill instructor was," and a bureaucracy that cares more about publishing MCM's instead of improving patient care.
Most of our doctors are either brand new and using our loan repayment options or retired and doing it for a second retirement check. Morale is super low and we have a hard time retaining those who do stick out the year long hiring process before deciding to take a higher paying job that will take them right away -- I read something like a 25% turnover rate in the first two years.  
Some people have said the VA should exist solely to care for service connected injuries, but that's a different beast altogether. I'm constantly dealing with guys who are 60 years old and 350lbs trying to get their diabetes or sleep apnea service connected because eating all that Army chow 40 years ago is obviously why they have those conditions. I'm amazed every day reviewing charts the ways I've seen how guys have gotten issues that seem impossible to be related to military service get them a huge monthly check from the VA (often much more than I make working there).
The facility I work at is like a huge abyss of fraud, waste and abuse. We're the only rehabilitation center in the entire VA health care system, and I want to say about 80% of the guys who stay there havelived there for 20 or so years, have an average of a year in service before getting some kind of general discharge, with no combat experience, who spend their days "going to classes (or hanging out in their dorm rooms watching TV on their big screen TV's)" but every time they're near graduation, they go out to town and relapse then say the PTSD from their drill sergeants yelling at them was the reason so "I need another year to do the program, and maybe a bump in my SC rating because my PTSD is getting worse, can you please put in my charts that I had auditory hallucinations of the higher rank lance corporals who use to bully me by sending me on details while they smoked cigarettes?"
I think we keep these guys around because we can report all of our beds are full so we get more funding instead of getting guys who actually want to get better (maybe one of those 307,000 dead vets) who will leave and live productive lives instead of constantly needing our services and require us to wait for new referrals which could hurt our numbers.
I think it's a combination of two things. Veterans like to be near their own so they can swap stories in the waiting room how they were a spec ops sniper (a sense of community), and vets really like getting free stuff or discounts (you better give me 5% off this meal, or I'm calling Fox News down here to let them know you hate America!").
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The VA population that relies on the VA fall into two general categories.

True service connected injury from the WOT.  Those are the commercials you see and the image they try to push. 30 yo married soldier with cute wife and couple of kids that had his leg blown off in Iraq is getting the latest and greatest care at the VA. Maurice!

The other, much, much larger, typical category is the vet that would otherwise be on medicaid, either from his self induced illnesses or mental illness.

Look at vets over 60 missing a limb.  You will have to sort through 20+ that lost their limb to peripheral vascular disease from smoking than a true traumatic wartime injury.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#50]
it really is time to bulldoze the VA and give out vouchers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top