Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 12:10:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:16:34 PM EDT
He didn't expand on it? Didn't interject anything about a living Bill of Rights? No rant about updating it to meet the climate of current times?

Hmm...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:24:59 PM EDT
I don't remember much emphasis on the constitution at all in a similar class.

But this has made me think about the idea that most all the 2nd amendment cases I heard of have been in a context of criminal law. It would seem like there would be an occasional issue with an agency exceeding their authority or failing to act on an application, etc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:32:54 PM EDT
Thats all ya got to say.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:25:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2005 1:25:19 PM EDT by Ardenner]

Originally Posted By sherrick13:
They were going over the Bill of Rights and the professor said the 2nd Amendment quote "guarantees the right to keep and bear arms" unquote. And he went on to the 3rd Amend.

Better than usual I suppose. But this is Oklahoma.

In my business law class constitutional issues are really unimportant. The focus is on mostly common law - specifically tort law and contract law.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:27:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:
Thats all ya got to say.

Absolutely!!

Too bad that in some parts of the country you have to defend the 2nd Amendment....
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:38:40 PM EDT

They were going over the Bill of Rights and the professor said the 2nd Amendment quote "guarantees enumerates the right to keep and bear arms" unquote. And he went on to the 3rd Amend.

Fixed it for him. Neither the government nor the laws of man give us those rights. Those rights are given to all men by the Creator. The 2A merely recognizes such.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:42:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeWang:

They were going over the Bill of Rights and the professor said the 2nd Amendment quote "guarantees enumerates the right to keep and bear arms" unquote. And he went on to the 3rd Amend.

Fixed it for him. Neither the government nor the laws of man give us those rights. Those rights are given to all men by the Creator. The 2A merely recognizes such.

Guatantee means protect and affirm, not create or grant. The teacher's words were correct.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:11:32 PM EDT
The 2nd Amendment does not give the right to keep and bear arms. It recognizes it and RESTRICTS others from infringing it. I don't see a limit that it only restricts the federal government. It simply says, shall not be infringed.

The 1st Amendment says "Congress shall make no laws...". The 3rd sayd Soldiers will not be quartered, etc. But the 2nd says "shall not be infringed".

I say, it shall not be infringed by anyone, not the Feds, not California, not San Francisco, not Chicago, no one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:20:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
The 2nd Amendment does not give the right to keep and bear arms. It recognizes it and RESTRICTS others from infringing it. I don't see a limit that it only restricts the federal government. It simply says, shall not be infringed.

The 1st Amendment says "Congress shall make no laws...". The 3rd sayd Soldiers will not be quartered, etc. But the 2nd says "shall not be infringed".

I say, it shall not be infringed by anyone, not the Feds, not California, not San Francisco, not Chicago, no one.

+1

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:51:03 PM EDT
Hmmm. Yesterday in the American National Government class I'm taking the instructor decided to just skip right over the second and third amendments.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:40:12 AM EDT
the instructor decided to just skip right over the second and third amendments.

This, too, is intellectual dishonesty.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:45:22 AM EDT
Intellectual dishonesty is when my Con law professor explains that the militia is the National Guard. I was embarrassed for him.
Top Top