Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2016 1:01:10 AM EDT
I bought a 98 ZL 440 for my wife two years ago. I cleaned the carbs, it ran great last year.

Before summer I ran the carbs empty, filled the tank and added Stabil.

We finally got enough snow here to run sleds, So I pulled them out today. The Zl 440 ran around the yard once.
Where it warmed up in front of the garage I noticed it leaked gas. Gas with oil as it was colored.(So the oil pump is working)
One run around and it just bogged out in our front ditch. It would idle all day long, but If I gave it throttle it would just barely rev to 3000 RPM and then just bog out.
Not enough to get the clutch to grab. I had to pull it home with a tow rope.

Added brand new BR9ES plugs, moved about 100 ft and it started all over.
Seems to be flooding out.
What now?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Shit gas, clean carbs and jets again.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:07:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I bought a 98 ZL 440 for my wife two years ago. I cleaned the carbs, it ran great last year.

Before summer I ran the carbs empty, filled the tank and added Stabil.

We finally got enough snow here to run sleds, So I pulled them out today. The Zl 440 ran around the yard once.

Where it warmed up in front of the garage I noticed it leaked gas. Gas with oil as it was colored.(So the oil pump is working)

One run around and it just bogged out in our front ditch. It would idle all day long, but If I gave it throttle it would just barely rev to 3000 RPM and then just bog out.

Not enough to get the clutch to grab. I had to pull it home with a tow rope.

Added brand new BR9ES plugs, moved about 100 ft and it started all over.

Seems to be flooding out.

What now?
View Quote
Rebuild fuel pump

new fuel lines and impulse line

compression test

check and clean chokes

drain crank case

check the coils for cracks as that can lead to moisture in them

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:08:30 AM EDT
[#3]
You check dem points, hrrrmph?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Check all of the fuel lines. They can harden and crack over time. We just had to replace all of the lines on my brother's 02 Polaris this last week. Even the pick up line in the tank failed and had to be replaced.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys i'll giver it a better look over tomorrow. As it was stuck in the ditch snow idling I couldn't see any leaks from gas lines from above, but now that I have it in the garage I will check again tomorrow. Maybe pull the carbs again for a clean.

I should add that when I pulled it out onto level ground it drove itself right into the garage about 75 yards I didn't really get on it, but it seemed to run alight under less load than coming uphill out of the ditch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#6]
On the bottom of your carbs there is a fuel line with a metal plug, those are the water traps.  These are horseshit and crack.  Any dealer around you should have the updated traps without the plug.

When you clean your carbs hold them upside down and blow air into the fuel inlet.  They shouldn't let any air through.  If they do replace the needle valves.  Actually, it's a 1998 so replace them anyways.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:52:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont know crap about snow machines.  But I do know HP and this came up in my facebook feed the other day from a friend.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont know crap about snow machines.  But I do know HP and this came up in my facebook feed the other day from a friend.

https://youtu.be/x_2F_WWGkBc

View Quote

That is awesome! I am assuming it's a hill climber.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:21:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

full on nitromethane ....they crashed it shortly after getting it running..thing was scary fast, but  dangerous....
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:54:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hoooollllllleeeeeeeee shiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttt!
That could be fun!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On the bottom of your carbs there is a fuel line with a metal plug, those are the water traps.  These are horseshit and crack.  Any dealer around you should have the updated traps without the plug.

When you clean your carbs hold them upside down and blow air into the fuel inlet.  They shouldn't let any air through.  If they do replace the needle valves.  Actually, it's a 1998 so replace them anyways.

View Quote

Thanks I will check those out as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top