Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/22/2007 8:08:16 PM EST
so i've had this issue since i got my car used back in july. the 2 tires on the right side leak down slowly but the left ones are fine. i attributed it to a previous owner hitting a bad pothole on the right side, maybe slightly bending the rims or something.

i just washed my car and noticed a slight hissing where the valve stem disappears into the rim. the soapy/water mixture stuck in there made it bubble a little bit. i checked the back tire and sure enough, it was doing it to.

how do i fix this? i've been told that fix a' flat and other things like that are a temporary fix only. pushing on the back one (both in towards the tire and at angles) made it quiet down but did nothing for the front

since its not where i can easily reach on the valve stem i figured i would ask people here for any suggestions in what to do.

thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:09:57 PM EST
this is not my car tire, but if for some reason this helps:

the leak is just back out of sight on this picture

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:32:21 PM EST
The bead has to be broken, depressed, the old stem pulled out, and a new one installed. This is a job for a place with a tire machine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:36:43 PM EST
New valves.

If they still leak replace the valves again after cleaning up the seating surface where the valve seats in the wheel.

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:42:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:16:08 PM EST
do you have chrome wheels by chance?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:43:11 PM EST
You will have to take them some place that will break down the bead and put in a new stem. I would have them use a rat tail file to clean up the hole, especially if you have chrome rims.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:38:31 PM EST
what ever you do, do not use fix-a-flat
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:30:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/24/2007 9:30:33 PM EST by soccermike7]

Originally Posted By spoonhatchcrap:
do you have chrome wheels by chance?

yes..... you thinking corrosion?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:39:04 AM EST
Do you have an angry ex that it letting the air out of your tires?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:19:38 PM EST
If they are just snap in rubber valves like said previously tire needs broken down and stem replaced, but if your car has a tire pressure monitoring system it gets a little more complicated but not too costly, but get it fixed right away or it could damage the tires or create an unsafe condition.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:05:52 PM EST
I have just twisted them untill hissing stopped and left them before but it is best to have new valvestem put on.
Top Top