Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/5/2001 6:01:32 PM EDT
Sergeant Struggles to Survive Crash That Killed Two Officers September 4, 2001, 10:00 AM By KGW Staff A traffic accident killed two police officers and critically injured a third on Interstate 5, north of Albany Tuesday night. The crash kept Interstate 5 northbound, between Albany and Salem, closed until the early morning hours of Wednesday. Oregon State Police Senior Trooper Maria Mignano and Jason Hoerauf, an Albany Police officer, both died at the scene, according to authorities. Another OSP trooper, Sergeant John Burright, was lifeflighted to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland, where a nursing supervisor said he was in "very critical condition," undergoing surgery for "massive internal injuries." He remained in critical condition following the operation. Officers from OSP and the Portland Police Bureau gathered at the hospital, forming a makeshift vigil for Burright as he was rushed into surgery. A police chaplain was on scene for about an hour Tuesday night, but then departed. That was viewed as a positive sign by hospital on-lookers. Authorities said the off-duty Albany officer was doing a ride along with Burright when they pulled over to assist a disabled motorist. The female OSP trooper pulled up behind them. All three officers were outside their cars helping the disabled van when a northbound pick-up truck lost control and crossed at least one lane of traffic. The truck "veered off on the shoulder striking all three of the officers," said Lt. Gregg Hastings, OSP spokesman. According to OSP, this was the first death of a female trooper in the line of duty. The agency's Web site said 26 troopers had died while on duty since 1931, all of them men. Don O'Malley, Albany assistant police chief, declined to comment on behalf of his department. The driver of the pickup truck was taken to Salem Memorial Hospital for treatment, Hastings said. The injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, he said. The disabled van's passengers -- Celeste Howell, 44; Mike Howell, 51; and four young children -- were not hurt. Dave Davis, a spokesman with the Oregon Department of Transportation, predicted the interstate would remain closed for "an extended period of time" as the night grew late. Northbound traffic along the interstate was backed up for miles as authorities diverted it at the Jefferson exit, north on old highway 99. Accident reconstructionists remained on the scene past midnight, Davis said. They will try to determine why the pickup swerved and hit the officers. The cause of the accident remained a mystery, Hastings said. "It's a straight stretch of highway. It is in a work zone where construction's been going on for several months," Hastings added. "But where the officers exactly were, that's something that will be subject to further release later on." Investigators said the pickup driver could face criminal charges in connection with the accident. Tuesday's accident occured nearly four years to the date of another accident that claimed the lives of two OSP officers. Sgt. James Rector, 46, and trooper Scott Lyons, 23, were on routine patrol in September 1997 when their car collided with a truck, killing both men. The driver of the truck was not injured in that accident.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:15:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:22:30 PM EDT
Would you have questioned my motives if it wasn't LEO's that were killed or is it just their lives count less for you?? If you read the story they died simply because they were trying to HELP other people. Not like the large groups of people in this country that "don't want to get involved......"
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:24:55 PM EDT
Garand, I don't think that was his intent. Stories like this shouldn't be used to incite any bashing. Lives were lost in the line of duty helping people. -SARguy
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:34:18 PM EDT
My condolences to the family and fellow officers. Could you direct me to that website that's been mentioned? It probably has contacts for any survivor funds that may be set up. GS, please take it somewhere else.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:37:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:37:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter: Just curious, would you ahve posted this if it was just a couple of regular citizens? Or is this another example of the "A cops life is worth more and more worthy of notice than anyone elses"?
View Quote
[blue][b]Pathetic, here we go AGAIN![/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:37:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Johninaustin: My condolences to the family and fellow officers. Could you direct me to that website that's been mentioned? It probably has contacts for any survivor funds that may be set up. GS, please take it somewhere else.
View Quote
I'm not sure on the link, I found the story linked under coptalk on www.glocktalk.com
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:39:57 PM EDT
Hostage Standoff Ends at Ind. Bank Updated: Wed, Sep 05 6:43 AM EDT By TOM COYNE, Associated Press Writer LOWELL, Ind. (AP) - A four-hour standoff at a small-town bank ended peacefully minutes after police gave the man armed with a sawed-off shotgun what he demanded: cigarettes and two Big Macs. Police said David Potchen, 39, took nine employees hostage but never attempted to rob the bank Tuesday. They were trying to determine a motive for his actions. "He came in with a shotgun and told them to call police and that they were going to be there awhile," said Mike Arredondo, chief of the Lake County Sheriff's Department. The hostages were released throughout the morning as police negotiators talked to the bank manager, who relayed the demands of the gunman. Two employees were released in exchange for the food and cigarettes. Potchen surrendered minutes after releasing the last hostage. No one was injured. Records show that Potchen had declared bankruptcy in May 2000. "We certainly believe that he had some sort of major personal or financial problem here," said FBI agent Bob Reilley. Once released, the hostages were brought into a department store in a shopping plaza behind the bank. "They were saying he was calm and just wanted food," said 18-year-old store employee Josh Wleklinski, who said he talked with some of the hostages. "They asked him if he wanted money and he said no." Lowell, a rural town of about 7,500 people, is about 40 miles south of Chicago.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:40:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:44:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2001 6:48:05 PM EDT by OLY-M4gery]
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter:
Originally Posted By OLY-M4gery: Would you have questioned my motives if it wasn't LEO's that were killed or is it just their lives count less for you??
View Quote
I doubt I would have had the oppertunity if it wasn't LEO's that were killed, cause I doubt you would ahve posted it. Am I right? no, they don't mean less to me, or more. My best friend is a cop, as are many of my friends. But the fact that they are cops doesn't make them special.
If you read the story they died simply because they were trying to HELP other people. Not like the large groups of people in this country that "don't want to get involved......"
View Quote
They are paid to get involved, don't act like it is a big sacrifice to do so. It's sad that folks die, but just cause they wear a badge doesn't make it any more noteworthy. But some others who wear one seem to think so. The title of the post alone leads me to believe you only felt it was noteworthy cause they wear a badge.
View Quote
Nor would you have sought out the oppotunity to minimize the reasons why they were killed. Nor would you be so quick to criticize and second guess if it was non-LEO's that were killed. Nor would you make up reason to justify non-LEO's being killed. You are very quick to bash, but if someone posts something about the sacrifice or good deeds of a LEO you claim they have an agenda. You are ready to point out how others should've, could've, would've, but if they do something properly your response is they are paid to do that. You sir a hypocrite.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:49:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:59:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2001 7:02:03 PM EDT by Garand_Shooter]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:02:06 PM EDT
Garand Shooter, my opinion of you just changed. You are a sickening, pathetic person to even make an issue of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:02:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Garand_Shooter: Look guys, i am not a LEO hater, far from it.
View Quote
Your posts tell a different story
But it is very dangerous for one group who has the powers they do to start feeling as if they are more valuable or thier lives are somehow more important than the rest of us. If these had been regular folks who died doing the same thing I doubt it would have been posted.
View Quote
I wouldn't say more valuable, but LEO's are empowered by the PEOPLE to do certain functions. When a LEO is attacked, someone may be saying that he is ABOVE the PEOPLE's power. LEO's put themselves in harms way so that you don't have to.
People die, it happens every day. People die at work every day. Yet somehow when you die with a badge on everyone is supposed to fell differently about that than anyone else's death? And anyone who doesn't must hate cops...
View Quote
Your posts show that you don't care if a LEO dies, but you also say all life is sacred, I guess your point is clear. Once upon a time there was a "thin blue line" not unlike the "thin red line" regarding USMC. Both lines represent honor and sacrifice, a willingness to put themselves at risk so others may go about there business safely, even ob;ivious to what is doen to keep them safe. I still believe in it You like to generalize and stereotype when you talk about LEO's. You disregard the good any of them do, indicating it is an individual act. But if one of them screws up, or does something that you feel wasn't right it's "all of them". Maybe before you generalize and minimize think about your friend and think about what your statements say about him. Think about the risk he faces, not so that he profits, as he is trying to protect others.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:07:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:19:11 PM EDT
They died doing what they were [i]supposed[/i] to be doing. They are paid to place themselves in harm's way, just like a bodyguard. They are to be commended, like anyone who does their job.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2001 7:32:43 PM EDT by Garand_Shooter]
Top Top